Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-1 … n-/142030076444 […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:
orinoko wrote:

Purchased a Toshiba Libretto 100CT off eBay 😀

Lucky you! Pics or it didn't happen! What was the price btw?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-1 … n-/142030076444

I hope that link works?? Anyway not bad for $20 + postage! I have one already but it had a fight with the floor a few years ago and lost 😢

I've been trying to find a replacement for years, but these things aren't all that easy to find downunder.

''For parts or not working'' you did see that right? Im assuming your intent is to combine the 2 into 1 working machine?

If so you got a good deal otherwise you've effectivly scammed yourself.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12521 of 53037, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it works. They just dont know what they are doing with that install of win2k on there...

Having said that, if a combination of the two is necessary, then thats fine as well 😀

Reply 12522 of 53037, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:

They just dont know what they are doing with that install of win2k on there...

Speaking of which, I recently acquired a Toshiba Pentium II 32MB laptop with Windows XP on it 🤣

Reply 12523 of 53037, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:
orinoko wrote:

Speaking of which, I recently acquired a Toshiba Pentium II 32MB laptop with Windows XP on it 🤣

Nice! But what the hell is it doing with XP on it? 🤣

What model is it?

Reply 12524 of 53037, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
orinoko wrote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-1 … n-/142030076444 […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:
orinoko wrote:

Purchased a Toshiba Libretto 100CT off eBay 😀

Lucky you! Pics or it didn't happen! What was the price btw?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-1 … n-/142030076444

I hope that link works?? Anyway not bad for $20 + postage! I have one already but it had a fight with the floor a few years ago and lost 😢

I've been trying to find a replacement for years, but these things aren't all that easy to find downunder.

I have a few and every single battery leaked before I get it 🙁
Also I'm pretty sure that dock as at least one USB port.
Oh! And those plastics break... easily.
Great little machine, right now I'm using a 70CT, almost the same but the screen is not that great, the screen on the 100 and 110 is really bright, or a lot birighter than the one on the 70 😀

Reply 12525 of 53037, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
b_rros wrote:
I have a few and every single battery leaked before I get it :( Also I'm pretty sure that dock as at least one USB port. Oh! An […]
Show full quote

I have a few and every single battery leaked before I get it 🙁
Also I'm pretty sure that dock as at least one USB port.
Oh! And those plastics break... easily.
Great little machine, right now I'm using a 70CT, almost the same but the screen is not that great, the screen on the 100 and 110 is really bright, or a lot birighter than the one on the 70 😀

Yeah I used to have a 70CT as well but I donated that to a friend a few years back. I agree about the plastics man is it fragile. My current 100CT dropped from the top of a cupboard as I was putting it back where it would be 'safe'... Bah! It works fine, the port replicator that was attached to it took most of the hit. Hopefully this eBay one comes to me in one piece too!

And ohhhh yes is the 100CT screen brighter!! Real shame about the 70CT not being bright, cos that's really its only downside.

Reply 12526 of 53037, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:

Nice! But what the hell is it doing with XP on it? 🤣

Turning it into a paperweight? No idea, but I already corrected that mistake and installed Windows 98 instead. Much better!

orinoko wrote:

What model is it?

Satellite 4010CDS. The screen is crap, but I suppose it will be good for strategy and point-and-click games. It's in pretty good shape, but both the CMOS and the backup batteries had leaked and were dead, so I had to make new ones by soldering a few Varta V40H's together. I had to make them myself because the cheapest replacement batteries I could find online were 50€ each, and there's no way I'd pay that. The laptop was also password protected and in the case of Toshiba it means you can't just reset the CMOS data. I also had to build a parallel port dongle that would reset the password. It was a bit of a challenge getting this computer running...

IMG_20160621_105445.jpg
IMG_20160621_105514.jpg

Reply 12527 of 53037, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
orinoko wrote:

My ThinkPad 600 was in exactly the same boat when I got it. That is really not a good combination!

Reply 12528 of 53037, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Enlight me as to the model of that Asus board? Ive heard of desktop processors in laptops but uh...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813131007

Paid like $30 for it shipped

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12529 of 53037, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered a (mystery?) ISA sound card. It was sold as IBM Aptiva part 55H7240. Looking that up comes up with a non-impressive CS4237B-based card.

What got my attention though was the picture. Blurry and at a weird angle, yet the main feature couldn't escape my attention.

ibm%20aptiva%2055H7240a%20.jpg

Yup, that's a wavetable daughterboard attached to it. I couldn't find any reference anywhere for part 55H7240 coming with any attached daughterboards. I asked the seller to remove the daughterboard and take a picture of it but he wouldn't do it, primarily because the 2 boards are linked together by plastic pins and he didn't want to break them.

So I bought it blindly. I'm open to suggestions as to what the wavetable board may be, or else I'll find out when it gets here (coming all the way from Israel to the USA I expect it to take 2-3 weeks).

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-06-21, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12530 of 53037, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
Ordered a (mystery?) ISA sound card. It was sold as IBM Aptiva part 55H7240. Looking that up comes up with a non-impressive CS42 […]
Show full quote

Ordered a (mystery?) ISA sound card. It was sold as IBM Aptiva part 55H7240. Looking that up comes up with a non-impressive CS4237B-based card.

What got my attention though was the picture. Blurry and at a weird angle, yet the main feature couldn't escape my attention.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107843342 … 055H7240%20.jpg

Yup, that's a wavetable daughterboard attached to it. I couldn't find any reference anywhere for part 55H7240 coming with any attached daughterboards. I asked the seller to remove the daughterboard and take a picture of it but he wouldn't do it, primarily because the 2 boards are linked together by plastic pins and he didn't want to break them.

So I bought it blindly. I'm open to suggestions as to what the wavetable board may be, or else I'll find out when it gets here (coming all the way from Israel to the USA I expect it to take 2-3 weeks).

Cool! Whatever daughterboard it is, I think there is a good chance that it is more valuable than the soundcard itself. Keep us posted.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12531 of 53037, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

I'm open to suggestions as to what the wavetable board may be, or else I'll find out when it gets here (coming all the way from Israel to the USA I expect it to take 2-3 weeks).

I'm pretty sure it's a:

IBM S-W1/C (KD020103)
Crystal CS9233, 1MB ROM, 32 voice polyphony

Check out more pictures here.

Reply 12532 of 53037, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought it some days ago. Toshiba 320CDT.

http://i.imgur.com/NOI2cha.jpg

I`m going ro replace 4GB HDD to 8GB CF, mount new fan and try to restore the original color with the help of 12% hydrogen peroxide gel.
The cells in the batteries are used (but still after 18 yers it runs 15min in battery), after a few days it began to display an error CMOS battery. They plan to change it when I can buy proper parts.
It would be a perfect 320CDT if not for one dead pixel on the display. : )

I paid for this laptop about 5E/7$ including power adapter, 2xLAN and 1xWiFi PCMCIA adapters 😁

Reply 12533 of 53037, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a: […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

I'm open to suggestions as to what the wavetable board may be, or else I'll find out when it gets here (coming all the way from Israel to the USA I expect it to take 2-3 weeks).

I'm pretty sure it's a:

IBM S-W1/C (KD020103)
Crystal CS9233, 1MB ROM, 32 voice polyphony

Check out more pictures here.

Yeah, very likely. Even has the holes in the right places. Cool, didn't know IBM made wavetable boards. That chipset seems to have been used on quite a few other boards. I' m curious to hear what it sounds like.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12536 of 53037, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seller's pic and no details given in listing but pretty self-explanatory for anyone with half an idea:

$_3-2.jpg
Filename
$_3-2.jpg
File size
90.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- Rage 128
- Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
- Sparkle S3 Trio64 V2/DX
- Something currently unidentifiable (probably MX440) x2
- MX440
- 3D Rage Pro
- Creative Annihilator CT6970 (GeForce 256)
- STB Nitro 3D/GX

All for £4.99

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12537 of 53037, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ NICE! Hope it's all working! V3 and GF256 alone are already a treasure.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12538 of 53037, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:

Turning it into a paperweight? No idea, but I already corrected that mistake and installed Windows 98 instead. Much better! Satellite 4010CDS.

Very good work 🤣 That series of Toshibas are awesome. My second laptop was a Satellite 300CDS, so I know exactly how 'great' those Dual Scan LCD screens are like. Skyroads was horrible on it 😵

Good news is they have a Yamaha audio chipset, if memory serves right, and they can be plugged into into an external display, and make for a great DOS gaming machine!

Reply 12539 of 53037, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Piecho wrote:
I bought it some days ago. Toshiba 320CDT. […]
Show full quote

I bought it some days ago. Toshiba 320CDT.

http://i.imgur.com/NOI2cha.jpg

I`m going ro replace 4GB HDD to 8GB CF, mount new fan and try to restore the original color with the help of 12% hydrogen peroxide gel.
The cells in the batteries are used (but still after 18 yers it runs 15min in battery), after a few days it began to display an error CMOS battery. They plan to change it when I can buy proper parts.
It would be a perfect 320CDT if not for one dead pixel on the display. : )

I paid for this laptop about 5E/7$ including power adapter, 2xLAN and 1xWiFi PCMCIA adapters 😁

Yay for TFT!! Makes this a great machine, even with that one dead pixel (quite common back then anyway).