VOGONS

First post, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm gearing up parts for a 'Totally Inauthentic Windows 9X Machine', centered around the ASRock 775i65G R2.0. It's two SATA ports offer high compatibility with older OS's so using a SATA SSD and ODD should be no problem. Of course I could just buy a new SATA DVDRW drive no problem, but it'd potentially be handy to have a second BDXL drive on hand as I have many 100GB and 128GB BDXL discs holding archived backups. If I ever have to recovery off those discs, well, that's not the fastest media, would be handy to have a second BDXL drive on hand. So could I kill two birds with one stone and put an BDXL drive in a Win9X system? I'm not really interested in having it READ BluRays, CD and DVD will be fine, but then it's there to have me put it into service with a more modern OS and start ingesting backups into my main storage server again.

So just wondering if Win9X would even work with such a drive? Is it just about what discs it mounts?

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not that I own a blueray drive but I'd bet it would act just like a CD or DVD drive for the most part.

These guys had a bit of a play with blue ray discs in Win98, seems really hit or miss though.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/151108-blu-ray-u … der-windows-98/

You could test with a dos boot disk. If it works in dos then it'll probably work in Windows

Reply 4 of 8, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Not that I own a blueray drive but I'd bet it would act just like a CD or DVD drive for the most part. […]
Show full quote

Not that I own a blueray drive but I'd bet it would act just like a CD or DVD drive for the most part.

These guys had a bit of a play with blue ray discs in Win98, seems really hit or miss though.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/151108-blu-ray-u … der-windows-98/

You could test with a dos boot disk. If it works in dos then it'll probably work in Windows

Yeah, I'm wondering if it would just depend on what kind of discs it mounts. Where CD and DVD would work fine, but I ask it to mount a BD and it's like 'Yo, I don't know this version of UFS.' Which is fine really, the goal is not to run BD discs on 9X, it's to spend $80 on a second BDXL drive, rather than $80 on a BDXL drive I'll rarely use and then $30 on a DVDRW drive.

Reply 6 of 8, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

What filesystem do BD-ROMs use anyway?

For a data disc, it's UDF 2.6, a 9X machine should support UDF, but looking it up, even 98SE and ME never supported better than UDF 1.02. I guess I'll just plug in my original BDXL drive and report my results. Though I imagine there's two likely scenarios; "HA HA NO." and "It's fine if it mounts a disc that's CDFS or UDF no higher than 1.02. But I didn't want to mount BDs on 9X anyway."

Reply 7 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were unofficial UFS drivers for Windows 9x (Adaptec had one of those). Although I don't know what versions are supported, I guess that UFS 2.x won't be supported.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't say I've ever tried with a BD-R, but I do remember writing CDs and probably DVDs with ISO9660 and Joliet versions for back-compat, while retaining the flexible filename capabilities of UDF for newer OSes.

AFA using the drive as an over-spec'd CD-ROM, I don't see an issue with that. It should work(tm).