VOGONS

First post, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there, I used Delpart to erase partitions on an old 5GB drive and during Win98SE installation, I chose to let it allocate all space on the unpartitioned drive and it created only a 2.92GB FAT32 partition as C. I ran fdisk again and it showed 1 active FAT32 partition as primary DOS partition with size of 4887 MB, and the usage is 100% on a fresh installation?

The reason I used Delpart was because previously the disk had an extended DOS partition of 1883 MB in addition to active FAT32 partition of 3004 MB, and I could not delete the extended DOS parition with Fdisk. Delpart also only showed the 1 active partition if I remember correctly. Should I reformat it to recover that missing space?

edit: fixed after redoing fdisk and reinstall 98se.

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_191353.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191106_191353.jpg
    File size
    743.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    before delpart
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20191122_190744.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191122_190744.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191122_191533.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191122_191533.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by svfn on 2020-01-22, 12:32. Edited 2 times in total.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Usage" in FDISK does not refer to the space used on the partition, but to how large it is compared to the drive's size. So the info shown in the second screenshot is correct, since you have one partition as large as the whole drive.

No idea why you have ~2 GB less in Windows, however. Did you try running Scandisk from the Tools tab? Probably that will fix it.

Reply 2 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would safely copy over all files that are important for keeping to a separate drive, and totally wipe this drive with zeroes. Afterwards I would use the fdisk from the bootdisk based on your OS of choice (Win98SE) on the machine in question to create and initialize the FS/partitions. Afterwards copy over your data and make a fresh install.

Reply 3 of 4, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

iirc, you have to go into the extended partition and delete the logical drives before fdisk will let you remove the extended partition.

once thats done, you should be able to delete both partitions and create one big one instead.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 4 of 4, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

"Usage" in FDISK does not refer to the space used on the partition, but to how large it is compared to the drive's size. So the info shown in the second screenshot is correct, since you have one partition as large as the whole drive.

No idea why you have ~2 GB less in Windows, however. Did you try running Scandisk from the Tools tab? Probably that will fix it.

Ah I see what you mean now. Yeah no idea why some space is missing, I will try that.

jaZz_KCS wrote:

I would safely copy over all files that are important for keeping to a separate drive, and totally wipe this drive with zeroes. Afterwards I would use the fdisk from the bootdisk based on your OS of choice (Win98SE) on the machine in question to create and initialize the FS/partitions. Afterwards copy over your data and make a fresh install.

Ok I will DBAN and reformat it later.

Cobra42898 wrote:

iirc, you have to go into the extended partition and delete the logical drives before fdisk will let you remove the extended partition.

once thats done, you should be able to delete both partitions and create one big one instead.

Yeah I did go into Extended and tried to delete anything inside but there was no option to pick, or it just said nothing to delete. And in delpart only the active partition showed up for some reason.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames