VOGONS

First post, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally found most of the parts to put this together, was a little hacked together last year but is now more in use. Did not want to venture down this rabbit hole until I found a Voodoo card locally to my surprise, one thing led to another and more parts started showing up.

AMD K6-2/350
FIC PA-2013 Rev 2.1
32MB PC-100 SDRAM
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
3Com 3C905C-TXM Etherlink 10/100 PCI NIC
AWE64 value ISA
Quantum Fireball EX 5.1a 5GB
Imation 52x32x52 CDRW
3.5" floppy drive
Generic beige case, ATX 800 Series?
AcBel E2 Power 390W
MS Sidewinder gamepad (gameport)
Generic ball mouse PS/2
IBM KB-7953 keyboard PS/2

• nusb36e USB drivers works fine with this build, I have also setup FTP for file transferring.
  • Sidewinder gamepad works with SWGameEN software driver and SDWRGMPD in DOS (only tested Tyrian so far).
  • Added a Promise SATA150 TX2plus PCI card and Maxtor 80GB SATA HDD, booting from it works on this motherboard if boot order is set to A, C, SCSI, installed Win 98SE without issue. I guess it detects it as SCSI. Removed the card as I need it for another PC.

Possible upgrades:
- Pentium 233 MMX to play with setmul, since K6-2+/K6-3+ cost more and are hard to come by. It also feels closer to my old MMX build running Win 95. Though with 233 MMX I will likely switch to V2 + S3 Virge.
- Some other microSD/SD to CF2IDE adapter, had one pq1 CF card but it is not being detected.
- EAX/A3D support, though it might be more suitable for a faster P2/P3 build I guess.
- a little more RAM, 64MB or 96MB..

th3ZrQym.jpg 0rMueEam.jpg GFUq3Qgm.jpg

I also forgot how good CRTs look, it's been almost 12+ years 🤣.

te6X5Kut.jpg M2KlDwdt.jpg cvD4xnJt.jpg BSoJsBVt.jpg

Some remaining issues:
- Connecting the reset switch to the motherboard causes the CPU fan to not spin and no display, I've read that a BIOS update might fix it though the system works fine if don't connect the reset button pins.
- PC Speaker also does not work, might have died =/

Last edited by svfn on 2021-08-12, 12:18. Edited 2 times in total.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1 of 6, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is really weird to look back at CRTs after so many years with LCD. They really do appear sharper?I dont know maybe its the rose tinted glasses but I do love the CRT screens.

Your build looks great, although I might ask why the cooling fans over the GPU/s? Is it not a bit overkill?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 3 of 6, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-02-02, 21:15:

It is really weird to look back at CRTs after so many years with LCD. They really do appear sharper?I dont know maybe its the rose tinted glasses but I do love the CRT screens.

Your build looks great, although I might ask why the cooling fans over the GPU/s? Is it not a bit overkill?

Yeah totally! Might be rose tinted glasses for me too but I think I've only ever experienced shadow mask CRTs and this slot mask Flatron looks brighter than I expected.

Thanks. Yeah a little overkill due to paranoia and Voodoos being hard to come by here, the heatsink does get hot to touch even without running anything, probably fine but I thought some fans would not hurt. Had planned to fit a a tiny fan on top of it but it did not fit nicely so thought this might be an easier solution.

dr_st wrote on 2020-02-02, 21:40:

Nice build and similar to mine. K6-2+ CPUs are not that hard to come by. K6-III+ are harder.

Thanks, nice to see K6+ SS7s around, K6+ are nice for setmul, I will keep a look out but not in a hurry to upgrade that K6-2 to a plus as I have a backup P3 for the faster stuff.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 4 of 6, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A ball mouse eh? You really are taking the period correct thing seriously, 🤣. That's one thing I just can't compromise on, no more ball mice. I bought a Logitech PS2 laser mouse on ebay for like $12, need to buy some more. The one thing I remember more than anything else with regards to ball mice is taking the ball out and cleaning the rollers periodically when the cursor started jumping around. Ugh.

Reply 5 of 6, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well done. I like your build !! 😀

I also have a SS7 build and also with the K6-2 only. Upgrading to the + version is quite expensive. It depends also in which region you're living...
I have only nvidia cards for my system. It's the same for voodoo 3's. The prices are running high...

About your cooling solution: I have bought the same bracket to install fan's along the AGP/PCI slots. But i will use it little different...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 6 of 6, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brawndo wrote on 2020-02-09, 04:32:

A ball mouse eh? You really are taking the period correct thing seriously, 🤣. That's one thing I just can't compromise on, no more ball mice. I bought a Logitech PS2 laser mouse on ebay for like $12, need to buy some more. The one thing I remember more than anything else with regards to ball mice is taking the ball out and cleaning the rollers periodically when the cursor started jumping around. Ugh.

Yeah I remember having to clean it quite often back then, it got dirty quick, but I am not using this often like a daily driver. Strangely the clicks feel more solid than my G102 🤣, though the scroll wheel is lacking in comparison. It's just a super generic one though. I am not bothered to be period correct honestly, my parts are a mish mash of whatever I could find within my budget, some are from 2000+ like that monitor and CDRW.

uCCLZz6t.jpg

melbar wrote on 2020-02-09, 05:21:
Well done. I like your build !! :-) […]
Show full quote

Well done. I like your build !! 😀

I also have a SS7 build and also with the K6-2 only. Upgrading to the + version is quite expensive. It depends also in which region you're living...
I have only nvidia cards for my system. It's the same for voodoo 3's. The prices are running high...

About your cooling solution: I have bought the same bracket to install fan's along the AGP/PCI slots. But i will use it little different...

Thanks, maybe I should have went with a single 120mm fan instead.

On MobyGames