VOGONS

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Evening All,
I have a Slot 1 asus board that I want to use as a test bench for older parts that I want to sell. Most of my slot 1 processors are P3s however not P2s. I’d like to use a 600mhz P3 SL3JM which has a 100mhz bus speed. Which I believe is the maximum supported by this board. The manual only lists P2s but I know that P3s often work in slot 1 boards even if they aren’t listed. Would this configuration work? Let me know if anyone has experience with this. and thanks in advance,

Reply 2 of 6, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-06, 05:09:

It should work. The earlier P2B boards don't support Coppermine CPUs but your SL3JM has the Katmai core which is supported.
Have fun! 😃

No dice with any katmai P3 I have u fortunately. Only the 200mhz P2 MMX works 🤣

Reply 3 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird, I'm pretty sure the P2B I had run a 500MHz Katmai on was Rev 1.02 too.🤔
Did you ever update the BIOS?

Edit: Found an old official CPU support matrix that says all revisions of the P2B support 100MHz Katmai Pentium III CPUs.

Reply 4 of 6, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-06, 19:07:

Weird, I'm pretty sure the P2B I had run a 500MHz Katmai on was Rev 1.02 too.🤔
Did you ever update the BIOS?

Edit: Found an old official CPU support matrix that says all revisions of the P2B support 100MHz Katmai Pentium III CPUs.

Maybe I set the jumpers wrong.. I’ll have to mess with it more this weekend then. Could you please link me that matrix?

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the matrix:
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/CPU/27/3/0 … 3Dj9REhpcX0vYJ/

Here is the BIOS update page for the regular P2B:
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P2B(MB)/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have an ASUS P2B that's that old. I originally built it with a 350MHz Pentium II and 128MB of PC-100 SDRAM. During the rebuild several years ago, I opted to upgrade it, so I made sure to flash the latest BIOS I could find for the board, then swapped out the processor for a 600 MHz Pentium III (Slot 1 Katmai version, 100MHz FSB). I also bumped the system up to 256MB and it worked flawlessly from the start. I DID have to set the jumpers to a CPU multiplier of 6x, which is the highest the board supports.

If I were you, I'd put a working CPU in there and update the BIOS and download the user's manual for that motherboard before I continued.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png