Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's one:
attachment%5D

Attachments

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org

Reply 22 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More precisely, it's an ECS 8517
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6803

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 23 of 31, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-06-18, 20:03:

More precisely, it's an ECS 8517
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6803

Hello.

If you're refering to the board I got, no it's not - the one you mentioned has one 8-bit slot, and the one I have has none - they're all 16-bit.

Luckybob seems to have nailed it right, though...

I connected two-CR2032 in series to the Ext batt connector, but it's not keeping the BIOS data. Is it possible to check, with the multimeter, if the battery power is reaching the BIOS chip?

Thanks.

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

Reply 24 of 31, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some boards have a jumper which needs to be moved in order to go from the onboard to external battery. Is there a jumper close by your external battery connector?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 25 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right, it's this one : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5482
But I think it's still an ECS 8517, just not the same rev. Can you turn it on and show us the POST string (and eventually make a BIOS dump and share it with us ?)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 26 of 31, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrwho wrote on 2021-06-22, 12:49:

I connected two-CR2032 in series to the Ext batt connector, but it's not keeping the BIOS data. Is it possible to check, with the multimeter, if the battery power is reaching the BIOS chip?

Thanks.

It would be easier to solder a 20mm button cell battery holder directly to the board, in place of the original battery, and then insert a LIR2032.

If you want to keep your external battery however, this thread may assist:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/how-to-t … n-oscilloscope/

In particular this diagram, although obviously your board will likely vary according to its own design:

BATT_CKT.gif
Filename
BATT_CKT.gif
File size
45.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I hope that helps!

Reply 27 of 31, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-06-22, 13:07:

You're right, it's this one : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5482
But I think it's still an ECS 8517, just not the same rev. Can you turn it on and show us the POST string (and eventually make a BIOS dump and share it with us ?)

It's working now - I (wrongly) assumed the pin 1 of the ext bat conector would be the positive, but I was wrong. I inverted the connector, it is now holding the configuration.

Here are the captures of the boot screen.

I can dump the bios, as soon as I order a couple of ide2sd adapters, and get my hands on some ISA HDD controller cards.

Attachments

Reply 28 of 31, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got it fully working at last. How can I dump the BIOS and where should I send it to?

Reply 29 of 31, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrwho wrote on 2021-07-10, 18:39:

I've got it fully working at last. How can I dump the BIOS and where should I send it to?

Easiest way to do this is with a software utility - one like Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60). It has an option to save your BIOS ROM contents.
Just make sure that, in your BIOS settings, Shadow RAM is temporarily disabled.
There might be other utilities as well (you could even try AMI's own flash utility), but I'm sure other users can pitch in with more suggestions.

Reply 30 of 31, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2021-07-11, 17:40:
Easiest way to do this is with a software utility - one like Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60). It has an option to save y […]
Show full quote

Easiest way to do this is with a software utility - one like Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60). It has an option to save your BIOS ROM contents.
There might be other utilities as well (you could even try AMI's own flash utility), but I'm sure other users can pitch in with more suggestions.

Thanks. Will try it tomorrow.

Is there a repository where I can upload it to? I can also place it on my ftp server, if it helps anyone...

Reply 31 of 31, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrwho wrote on 2021-07-12, 22:01:
Thanks. Will try it tomorrow. Is there a repository where I can upload it to? I can also place it on my ftp server, if it help […]
Show full quote
jesolo wrote on 2021-07-11, 17:40:
Easiest way to do this is with a software utility - one like Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60). It has an option to save y […]
Show full quote

Thanks. Will try it tomorrow.

Is there a repository where I can upload it to? I can also place it on my ftp server, if it helps anyone...

You can just upload the file here (as a zip file) and quote @deksor's original request.