VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17220 of 53038, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Is that floppy drive a 2.88 one? The print on the eject button is too small to read 😜

Naw, just a garden variety 1.44M.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Those symptoms would be consistent with a dead Hard Drive. My guess is it was dropped while running causing a head crash. Shutting the lid too hard can do it as well (I've done that once myself).

Well... I tried switching out the harddrive for a CF-IDE adapter I had laying around and it still doesn't work. Same symptoms. '

If I run the setup program on the reference disk, it does show hard drive as "installed" but FDISK and FORMAT won't find the drive and it's impossible to boot from it.

What's more, the diagnostics on the reference disk wont find and test the hard drive, but the rest of the tests all pass except for the hard drive LED. It doesn't turn on/off like it should. This leads me to believe that maybe something is up with the ribbon cable going to the drive..? Or some kind of controller issue? The drive does get power, at least intermittently, because before I switched the mechanical drive out I could hear it seek test at boot sometimes.

Any ideas, anyone? These are obscure machines, hard to find much troubleshooting info.

Reply 17221 of 53038, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't bought it yet, but I'm on the edge of clicking on Confirm.. Is a Sound Blaster 32 (Not AWE32, the 32 model without the 512K onboard ram and mixer options) worth $32 shipped?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17222 of 53038, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Haven't bought it yet, but I'm on the edge of clicking on Confirm.. Is a Sound Blaster 32 (Not AWE32, the 32 model without the 512K onboard ram and mixer options) worth $32 shipped?

Where are you located. I am guessing it is model CT3600?

If in the USA, you should be able to get one for about $20 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ct3600+- … +-tips&_sacat=0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17223 of 53038, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
Where are you located. I am guessing it is model CT3600? […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

Im in Europe, it's shipping from the US, and yes it's a CT3600.

Reply 17224 of 53038, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Where are you located. I am guessing it is model CT3600? […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

Im in Europe, it's shipping from the US, and yes it's a CT3600.

Ok, yeah, that is a decent deal when shipping from the US. No dice on finding one more local I guess?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17225 of 53038, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Ok, yeah, that is a decent deal when shipping from the US. No dice on finding one more local I guess?

Been looking for an AWE32 or Pro 2.0 for a while now, no luck - just a lot of SB16 clones, Audio PCIs, PCI 128s and Live cards hereabouts.. I'm having second thoughts though, as I already have an AWE64 Value. The only reason I want an AWE32 is so that I can use SIMM RAM and load Soundfonts for General MIDI (I'm not happy with AWE64's default GM at all, but finding a SIMMCON for it seems impossible..) CT3600 has the hanging note bug though, so.. 🙁

Reply 17226 of 53038, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Been looking for an AWE32 or Pro 2.0 for a while now, no luck - just a lot of SB16 clones, Audio PCIs, PCI 128s and Live cards hereabouts.. I'm having second thoughts though, as I already have an AWE64 Value. The only reason I want an AWE32 is so that I can use SIMM RAM and load Soundfonts for General MIDI (I'm not happy with AWE64's default GM at all, but finding a SIMMCON for it seems impossible..) CT3600 has the hanging note bug though, so.. 🙁

Maybe a CT3670 then. It is basically an AWE64 with simm slots. You can even flash it with the AWE64 firmware to disable the IDE port if you want.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17227 of 53038, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked these up from the local craiglist-equivalent. The guy was selling them as a package with a generic LCD and HP Athlon64 system, but was willing to sell them separately 😀

These will be a welcome upgrade to my cheesy little built-in speakers that fit in a 5.25 bay!

Attachments

• DSC_4633.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4633.JPG
    File size
    3.37 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17228 of 53038, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:

Picked these up from the local craiglist-equivalent. The guy was selling them as a package with a generic LCD and HP Athlon64 system, but was willing to sell them separately 😀

These will be a welcome upgrade to my cheesy little built-in speakers that fit in a 5.25 bay!

Nice vintage TV and Radio you got there. 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17229 of 53038, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:

Those are cool! How do they sound? Gotta be better than 5.25" bay speakers I guess.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17230 of 53038, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Those are cool! How do they sound? Gotta be better than 5.25" bay speakers I guess.

I have those with other brand but I think it doesn't matter. They sounds awesome, way better then my modern Genius speakers I am using right now on my main rig but I can't upcycle them because they are too big for my teeny tiny desk 😁

Reply 17231 of 53038, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krivulak wrote:
badmojo wrote:

I have those with other brand but I think it doesn't matter. They sounds awesome, way better then my modern Genius speakers I am using right now on my main rig but I can't upcycle them because they are too big for my teeny tiny desk 😁

Those speakers are great - I've had a set for years and the recycler I go to has a couple sets available right now. They've got RCA jacks for all the connections so they're super versatile and they go plenty loud.

Reply 17232 of 53038, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got another cheap system from the thrift stores. €15 and it was another gamble. The system was some desktop but with a standard ATX formfactor motherboard. Motherboard turned out to be LGA775 supporting most Conroes. After I got home, it had a single stick of 2GB DDR2-800, 320GB SATA drive and (I actually 🤣-ed when I saw this) a Q6600 🤣
Also a standard black-bezeled IDE DVD drive with lightscribe (which I'll probably never use).
The board only has a single bulging cap. It had no graphics card, but the Q6600 + compatible motherboard alone are worth this I think 😀

Also got a silver bezeled optical drive for €2,50...not bad, I basically just grabbed it after I had already decided on buying the €15 system.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17233 of 53038, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Nice vintage TV and Radio you got there. 😉

I like vintage things! I've fixed up a bunch of old tube radios, then got ambitious and picked up that TV with the plan of restoring it, but gave in and kept it as neat looking furniture.

badmojo wrote:

Waaaaay better. Though the desk I use for old computers is tiny, so I haven't figured out how I'm going to fit these yet...

Reply 17234 of 53038, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Purchased this kit of HyperX memory modules for 1.25 USD 😁 Although listed as "256 MB" they are 512 MB total of course. I was little worried, because the sticker says they are 2.6 volts and my mobo can't run them on higher than default voltage, but they run happily with CL2-2-2-6 timings at 333 MHz (which is now limited by CPU) and default voltage.

DSC02095.JPG
Filename
DSC02095.JPG
File size
454.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'd like 1 GB total, but still... time to search for a second pair.

Reply 17235 of 53038, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typical Samsung UCCC DDR400 can run 2-2-2-5 DDR333 mode on stock voltage just as easily. In fact, even more older Samsung DDR333 256mb sticks were able to do it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17236 of 53038, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a Commodore64 PLA chip and a socket for the chip. Hope I do not screw the soldering job up.
My machine begun to make some strange stuff. Poke 1,63 did not freeze it, and the diagnostic
program said that there are some timer issue and bad U5. Hope my reading is correct that it is the PLA.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17237 of 53038, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

Looks like a rebrand / copy of the Goodmans Active 75, might fine speakers for a 2.0, partly because they are rather larger than usual. That shape and layout is unmistakeable.

For a long time, my main set was a pair of Trust Soundwave 20 (also available in other names) smaller, but sounded much better than they ought for their size - got put away somewhere, missing, after the upstairs system got a 5.1 set.

Got a spare pair from charity shop for testing, a £5 pair of Goodmans Active 25, tiny but astonishing, nearly replaced the monitor speakers (ugh!) on the downstairs machine, but picked up another charity shop bargain, a 2.1 set of Altec Lansing Vs-2121 for a tenner

Reply 17238 of 53038, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

160GB IDE hard drive. It had a orange price tag on it. Found it bare hard drive with no static bag just sitting on the shelf with the rest of the junk in there. Orange tags were -75% off today. $0.85 after tax to walk out the door with it.
xJn0qtG.jpg

Working on testing it now.

EDIT: WORKS! Spins up, has a partition on it, read by windows.. performing slow error scan / surface scan with hdtune pro now. Only getting 37-38 MB/s over usb 2.0 but it's fine. Just leaving it going while I play games.

Reply 17239 of 53038, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
160GB IDE hard drive. It had a orange price tag on it. Found it bare hard drive with no static bag just sitting on the shelf wit […]
Show full quote

160GB IDE hard drive. It had a orange price tag on it. Found it bare hard drive with no static bag just sitting on the shelf with the rest of the junk in there. Orange tags were -75% off today. $0.85 after tax to walk out the door with it.
xJn0qtG.jpg

Working on testing it now.

EDIT: WORKS! Spins up, has a partition on it, read by windows.. performing slow error scan / surface scan with hdtune pro now. Only getting 37-38 MB/s over usb 2.0 but it's fine. Just leaving it going while I play games.

Good find. Too many HDs are destroyed "for privacy" these days.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2