VOGONS

UMC chipset PCI 486 mobo. AMD P90 CPU options?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 219, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure where you can download a shareware MDK DOS version.

Yes I downloaded all the files you uploaded.

M919 Recommendations:
I haven't had the best of luck with VLB video cards. Sometimes PCI SCSI cards will make your AMD X5 or Intel DX4-100 run in Write-Through mode. This doesn't seem to be the case with all M919 v3.4 B/F motherboards I've tested, even ones with the same BIOS revision. Cyrix CPUs do not have this problem. Find a 256KB Asynchronous SRAM module and drop in 64 MB of EDO ram, put L2 on Write-thru mode and L1 on write-back mode. Be sure not to put the wrong RAM type/voltage into the SIMMs as this could cause your northbridge to permanently go wonky. The newest PCI graphics card I could get to work in here is a Matrox G200 PCI, many others that were 1 year newer did not work, not even a Banshee. PCI SCSI and Win2000 don't mix well on this board - lots of hick-ups, but you should be ok with PCI SCSI in Win95/98SE/NT4. IDE harddrive work fine from the onboard controller in Windows2000 though. POD83 will not work in WB mode, only WT mode using P24D setting. Maybe these newer BIOSs have a fix for that?

Other than that, play around.

Reply 181 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then, what is best, Biostar MB-8433UUD-A or PCChips M919 v 3.4?
And, why i cant overclock at 133?
Note: I found a "dirty cheat", it makes the IBM 5x86 100HF run at 133 for a few seconds
I put at 40x2=80, 5V then, when MS-DOS started, i remove the B jumper and put it rapidly in A jumper
This makes Speedsys recognize the CPU as Cyrix 5x86 120 MHz, but 3dbench 1.0 hangs after a few seconds, and Quake crashes
PS: In the manual says it need 72 pin SIMM, it is true?
And Win2000 is stable without SCSI?
The POD83 is good Overclocker, because the default voltage is 5V?
And, the M919 is good overclocker also?
How i can make a Speedsys capture?
You read the M919 Manual and BIOS Documentation? is very interesting
Currently i dont have money for update my M919
And, i have just 14 years old, you are going to ban me because of that?
So, how i can fine-tune the M919 BIOS settings?
And, what is the maximum capacity of Hard Disk the M919 can handle?
What are the best MS-DOS apps fitting on a Floppy Disk?, because my M919 dont have hard disk

Reply 182 of 219, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of the answers to these questions can be found by searching the forum.

From my experience,

1) I believe the IBM 5x86 100HF is a 120 MHz Cyrix part. I don't know why IBM calls it 100HF? HF = High Frequency? It doesn't overclock well to 133 MHz, not just because of the frequency, but these CPUs don't like heat.
If you insist on overclocking it, you can find a 3-holed socket 7/370 heatsink clamp and a socket 7 heatsink w/fan and clamp it down to the socket 3 motherboard with heatsink compound. You will need to remove the IBM heatsink for this, which I don't recommend. Alternately, add a 12V fan to the IBM heatsink. Try running it 4 V, and maybe 5 V if you don't care if the CPU burns up. You will want to run it at 66 Mhz x 2. = 133 MHz. To set 66 MHz FSB, set jumpers JP3A=ON, JP3B=OFF, JP3C=ON.

2) If you have version 3.4, it has 4x 72-pin SIMMs, if you have version 3.2, it has 4x 30-pin SIMMS and 2x 72-pin SIMMS.

3) Windows2000 is stable using either the onboard IDE connector with no SCSI cards installed. I've tested it with an old IDE Western Digital 1 GB hard drive and an 8 GB Compact flash drive. If I recall correctly, a Promise SATA150 TX2plus PCI ATA/SATA card also worked in Win2000, and definitely in Win98SE and WinNT4.

4) There is an option in Speedsys to capture, after the hard drive tests. I forget it now, but its fairly obvious.

Reply 183 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can answer me some of the questions?, because i am so tired for Search in the forum
What are the best DOS Benchmarks?
You flashed the BIOS?
How i know how many NS is the ram?
If you see 1998 errors, please let me know
There are some DOS CPU Stress program?
How i can optimize Quake FPS score changing some settings?
If i use some win2000 nLited version, how much fast be?
PS: What basic registers i must enable?
And, with your attached program, the registers will be enabled temporarily?
BTW, i encountered this mobo on the street, so, cost me nothing

Reply 184 of 219, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1)
Download the PDF found here,
The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison

Open the PDF and go to page 5, Appendix 1. Here you will find a list of 16 DOS benchmark programs that are popular.

2)
I have not had time to flash the BIOS yet.

3)
The last digit of the part number is usually the ns speed of the RAM, sometimes it goes as -6 or -7, or without the dash. 6 is typically for 60 ns, 7 is for 70 ns.

4)
I haven't used a DOS CPU stress program, but I have used Prime95, CpuStab, and CPUBurn in Windows.

5)
Win2000 without L2 cache will be slow. Win2000 with AMD X5-160 or Cyrix 5x86-120 and L2 cache is bearable. You can use a USB PCI card and a USB or PS/2 mouse that way. WinNT4 is my overall favourite.

6)
You need L2 cache to optimise your Quake score

7)
What basic Cyrix registers to enabled is a topic that I've beaten to death. Please download and read the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison pdf. I spoon feed you all the recommended Cyrix 5x86 register settings for all flavours of the Cyrix 5x86 (80-133 MHz).

8)
You will need to read the manual of the attached program. You need to tell the program which register settings you want enabled. When you reboot, you'll need to reset the register settings.

9)
Biostar MB-8433UUD has the advantage over the M919 in that it has a working PS/2 mouse port, can accept 512 KB L2 cache, and has less PCI bus mastering problems. Win2000 works with SCSI on the Biostar.

Reply 187 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The chips say AR514400-07
And what about the 7 question?
PS: What are the imprescindible Windows 3.1 programs?
From where i can download Realtek RTL8139 Windows 3.11 driver?
Until what hour you are available on VOGONS?

Reply 188 of 219, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:

If your SIMM memory module has -07 at the end of the really long line, then it's probably 7ns 😉

Best is to always read the last numbers in the longest line on the chips themselves 😉

As for BIOS tweaks, I don't know much about that myself.

...and grats for finding that 486 board in the streets! It's the best way hehe 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 189 of 219, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sebaz_ri,

How were you able to flash your M919 with the uniflash.exe program you uploaded?

When I run uniflash on my M919, the option to flash the BIOS is greyed-out. All I can do is backup the current BIOS.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 190 of 219, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
sebaz_ri, you will need to adjust the Cyrix 5x86 features in software if they are not provided in the BIOS. If you are using th […]
Show full quote

sebaz_ri, you will need to adjust the Cyrix 5x86 features in software if they are not provided in the BIOS. If you are using the M919, you have support for Linear Burst and LSSER already. You'll want to enable those.

There are a few people and companies out there who have made programs to enable the the extra Cyrix 5x86 features. A good starter is the Peter Moss Utility. Refer to the attachment. Others are made by Evergreen, IBM, and Rodney - CyrixGo.

Are you running the 1998 BIOS for the M919? I wonder if it corrected problems with AMD L1 WB cache and SCSI bus mastering? Or fixed bugs associated with some VLB graphics cards? I am looking forward to testing out these BIOS versions. All the Google sites where I was able to find the latest BIOSs have inaccessible links.

EDIT: Your Quake timedemo1 score looks slow. What cache and RAM settings are you using? Try 2-1-2 and 0/0. For which Cyrix enhancements to enable, refer to The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison, link here,
The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison

All tests here were done on an M919 board with the specified Cyrix 5x86 enhancements enabled. Your scores for 120 Mhz should be similar.

Try putting the links through Wayback Machine. It sometimes picks up files that the defunct pages linked to.

Reply 191 of 219, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Oh no! :shocked: :depressed: That could be really bad news. That could mean that your mobo will not allow you to select cert […]
Show full quote
udam_u wrote:

I have one problem - I can't find JP17 jumper! [: Is it possible that this jumper is wired permanently?

Oh no! 😳 😢 That could be really bad news. That could mean that your mobo will not allow you to select certain FSB speeds. Those "disallowed" speeds could be: 20, 50, 60. If JP17 is permanently "closed", then these FSB speeds cannot be set. For 20, 50 and 60 FSB, jumper JP17 needs to be in the "open" position.

You can test this. Firstly, remove the jumper on JP15. If you set JP16 to "closed", and you use an AMD 5x86 133MHz CPU, what speed is reported? If JP17 is permanently "closed", then the speed reported on the BIOS POST screen will be 160 MHz. That's because JP16 + JP17 in the "closed" position = 40 FSB. If JP17 is permanently "open", then the speed reported on the BIOS POST screen will be 180 MHz - and you may need to increase the CPU voltage for this information to successfully appear on the screen. That's because JP16 in the "closed" position = the undocumented 60 FSB setting.

If you go to this webpage: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/BI … 486-MB-101.html And then look at the CPU speed selection table, it says: "Note: JP17 may not be present on all boards." 😢

I'm wondering something. The "wire" bridging the jumper looks to be much sturdier than ordinary copper wire. It looks to be about as stiff as the wire a paper clip is made of. I wonder if you were to clip it precisely in the middle then bend the ends upward if you could slide a jumper over it so you would be able to use it in either the open or closed settings.

Reply 193 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I'm wondering something. The "wire" bridging the jumper looks to be much sturdier than ordinary copper wire. It looks to be about as stiff as the wire a paper clip is made of. I wonder if you were to clip it precisely in the middle then bend the ends upward if you could slide a jumper over it so you would be able to use it in either the open or closed settings.

Yeah, I've seen these types of wires that you are referring to. What you're saying sounds feasible, but if I were you, I would leave it alone. After all, there could be a very good reason why the mobo manufacturer doesn't want a user to experiment with that "hard wired" jumper being opened up in that way.

Reply 194 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

sebaz_ri,

How were you able to flash your M919 with the uniflash.exe program you uploaded?

When I run uniflash on my M919, the option to flash the BIOS is greyed-out. All I can do is backup the current BIOS.

the option to flash the BIOS is greyed-out when you dont have a flash-able BIOS

i used a pentium BIOS for the flash process (PCChips M571 died mobo)

maybe in some days i post the 10/16/1996 & 1998 BIOS pictures but the quality are very crappy (VGA 640x480) 😒

The M919 default bios isnt flash-able, if you remove the M919 BIOS sticker maybe you see M919 5-6 96xx

Reply 195 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
If your SIMM memory module has -07 at the end of the really long line, then it's probably 7ns ;) […]
Show full quote
sebaz_ri wrote:

If your SIMM memory module has -07 at the end of the really long line, then it's probably 7ns 😉

Best is to always read the last numbers in the longest line on the chips themselves 😉

...and grats for finding that 486 board in the streets! It's the best way hehe 😁

also i found other pentiums boards in the streets hehe 😁 the best part of all is those boards came with case and all, the bad part is some boards are with bad hard disk, but the others parts are OK, so... just replace hard disk and you have a low-cost mobo 😁

7 ns? this is very rare, why???

Reply 196 of 219, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Has anyone with an M919 been able to use the above mentioned BIOS updates?

PC Chips didn't want people to be able to change the BIOS or else their sneaky little trick with the fake cache chips would be uncovered. Frequently they would solder the BIOS chip directly to the motherboard so it couldn't be physically exchanged with another one. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the BIOS chips were write once designs to prevent flashing an update, as well. If your BIOS chip is in a socket, you may have to find a later BIOS chip from the same company and do a swap if it won't flash.

Reply 197 of 219, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
If your SIMM memory module has -07 at the end of the really long line, then it's probably 7ns ;) […]
Show full quote
sebaz_ri wrote:

also i found other pentiums boards in the streets hehe 😁 the best part of all is those boards came with case and all, the bad part is some boards are with bad hard disk, but the others parts are OK, so... just replace hard disk and you have a low-cost mobo 😁

7 ns? this is very rare, why???

I got virtually all my AT cases that way!
Free from the streets! And a couple I found or was gifted years later, but the age of easy-AT are gone 🙁

When it comes to AT cases, I'm set for life 😁
Too bad many of them are in poor condition, like (partly...yuk!) yellowed, missing the front door thingy and one or 2 are missing the harddrive cage.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 198 of 219, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if other 486 UMC chipset-based BIOSs will work? Like a HOT-433 flashable BIOS?

That would be great if you could upload an image (or typed out) of the setup pages contained in the 1998 M919 BIOS setup. I am curious which, if any, user selectable changes they added.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 199 of 219, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I wonder if other 486 UMC chipset-based BIOSs will work? Like a HOT-433 flashable BIOS?

That would be great if you could upload an image (or typed out) of the setup pages contained in the 1998 M919 BIOS setup. I am curious which, if any, user selectable changes they added.

i think any 128k flashrom will work
also you must perform hot-flash on the M919
your M919 BIOS is soldered?
i post BIOS pictures, but remember the crappy quality
you can post a picture of your M919 board?
and what about the Reatek RTL8139 Win3.11 driver?