VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24121 of 53065, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just picked up an Amiga 500 rev. 5. It is in a sorry state. Though it looks like it can be fixed. All chip's except Gary heats up or get varm. And there are a number of error flashes on the keyboard led. The case is cracked and the rf shield is rusty. I can fix the case with some acetone and stiffen it up with small abs rods on the inside. At leasy I will be getting spare parts for my working Amiga500. Worst case cenario is to buy a new board. Going to be a fine project to do.

I swapped one working refurbished Amiga tank mouse for it.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24122 of 53065, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

Does it work as it is? You can test without RAM, but as far as I know you need 2 identicals SIMMs for RAM to be detected.

It gets detected, haven't tested it further, now it's being recapped so that will have to wait.

Sad to hear it won't run with one bank only, that means I may have to use rubber bands to keep the second simm in place for a while.. Any other clever methods Vogons can think of?

Also, how difficult is it to replace a SIMM bank? And where do I find one of those angled simm slots?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24123 of 53065, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replacing the SIMM bank would be a bit of a PITA. As for the angled slots, have you got any low profile AT boards to scavenge?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24124 of 53065, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Replacing the SIMM bank would be a bit of a PITA. As for the angled slots, have you got any low profile AT boards to scavenge?

Negative, I have nothing that has similar slots. At this point, I'm OK with using 90 degree slots even if it means I lose the next ISA slot, the thing is, I'm not sure I can solder that as a replacement..

Why is it a PITA? Too many pins to solder? Or is there another intricacy involved that I am not familiar with?

Worst case, it looks like simms in slots and held down tight by rubber bands seem to hold them in place just fine, just look pretty ugly. I may want to jury rig a similar, but less ugly solution..

Reply 24125 of 53065, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the card itself, it looks like the 2 SIMM slots are joined together as 1 piece. I don't think it's a PITA to me, but, count the amount of pins to verify the correct one will be installed (either 30-pin SIMM, or 72-pin SIMM). However, those might be hard to find nowadays, and you can also find another card like the one you have that's far beyond repair and make sure the SIMM slots are in better shape. Plus, I believe you can only install 2 16MB SIMMs and not 1 32MB SIMM (try it and see what happens).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24127 of 53065, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ what a bizarre keyboard (this coming from a Kinesis user!) I like how they added two extra windows keys and an extra right click key above the arrows. I guess they figured people would start using the things due to sheer abundance? And the multimedia buttons are a fine example of "sneeze design."

I do like the translucent aqua blue though. I would've thought it was for an iMac, except it has four windows keys. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24128 of 53065, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

On the card itself, it looks like the 2 SIMM slots are joined together as 1 piece. I don't think it's a PITA to me, but, count the amount of pins to verify the correct one will be installed (either 30-pin SIMM, or 72-pin SIMM). However, those might be hard to find nowadays, and you can also find another card like the one you have that's far beyond repair and make sure the SIMM slots are in better shape. Plus, I believe you can only install 2 16MB SIMMs and not 1 32MB SIMM (try it and see what happens).

They are 30-pin, not 72-pin, but you are right they are connected, so they would be very difficult to replace individually 😒 I don't know if there are any 32MB 30-pin SIMMs? Not that I need them, I'd be ok with taking this up to 4MB and loading CT4MGM.SF2 or SCC1T2.SF2, that would serve me just fine. Hell, it would be a good card for only the AWE functions, OPL3, low noise CT1705 and hanging note bug free MPU401.. I am just trying to find further use for it. I should probably find a couple of 4MB or 8MB 30-pin SIMMs to try on it. I only have 1MB 30-pin SIMMs 🙁

Reply 24129 of 53065, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

I do like the translucent aqua blue though. I would've thought it was for an iMac, except it has four windows keys. 😜

I KNOW! I just had to have it at full price too! Paid a whole $4. Its going to go nicely with this big ugly blue bastard I own:
identify this case , never seen one (not my thread/image, but I have that exact case)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24130 of 53065, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
I had a good weekend: http://i.imgur.com/aHtOO6Om.jpg […]
Show full quote

I had a good weekend:
aHtOO6Om.jpg

Ooh, those transparent keyboards bring back memories. They were all the hype around the turn of the millennium - and for their dirt-cheap price actually not too awful as cheap crap rubber domes go. I had a few myself, and kept bumping into them as the local bottom-feeding PC shop (PC Chips boards, Q-Tec PSUs, that sort of stuff 😦 ) bundled them with their systems. Here they were branded as "Target".

Had a decent day myself too - on Sunday night I offhandedly made a fairly low offer on a pile of unidentified stuff that I hadn't quite made up my mind about. This morning got a mail that it had been accepted. Even better, the seller - who lives on the other side of the country - just happened to have some work to do this evening <5 min drive from here. So no long drives or messing around with postage.

The pics only showed two big plastic boxes with some badly corroded optical drives and some better looking PCI sound cards visible in a nest of cables. I was hoping for some interesting sound stuff, and really wanted the plastic boxes more than the content I could actually see - but as it turned out the video cards were the star of this lot:

full.png

This was after cleaning up, i.e. binning stuff obviously corroded beyond repair (and I'm really not going to make an effort for an ATAPI 4x/24x DVD-Rom drive) or otherwise filthy and uninteresting (power/IDE cables reeking of smoke), and dumping OK-looking but totally superfluous stuff (modems, Via USB cards, RTL8139 NICs) into the 'give away or sell cheap in big load' box.

The sound cards are two Creatives (Audigy 2 and SBLive5.1), a Terratec Aureon Fun 5.1 (nice Toslinks!) and a noname red thingy with a Crystal chip on it. VGA starts with some nVidia MXs and a Radeon 9250, but the red ones are nice - a Radeon 9800Pro in pretty pristine condition and a Radeon 9600 All-in-Wonder with all its cables and even the remote.

Oh, and separately that Model M arrived in the post today - a 1994 Lexmark model that sounds 'lighter' than my two other 1991 versions. It's missing two keycaps, but Unicomp can rectify that easily enough 😀

Reply 24131 of 53065, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Why is it a PITA? Too many pins to solder? Or is there another intricacy involved that I am not familiar with?

Nope, just a lot of pins to desolder before you can pull it. Hot air or a desoldering gun could be a real time saver.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24132 of 53065, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An Sony SDM-X95K monitor. It has build in speakers. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24133 of 53065, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

What cooler do you got on that? I wouldn’t put it on the heatsink side due to fears of it leaking or sticking to the cooler.

Be Quiet! 360mm silent loop. I ran low on the conductonaut on the outside so it's actually a mix of this paste with the be quiet! paste. Everything sits at 30c or below when idle so it seems to be doing the job.

I’m on a NZXT X72 360mm AIO with Arctic MX4 thermal paste on the IHS and Conductonaut on the die. High 20s idle and high 60s running the latest Prime95 on Small FTTs.

Reply 24134 of 53065, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already posted in the other thread, but...
Intel Altserver/CS motherboard, dual socket 5, max 256MB FPM RAM, integrated AIC7870 SCSI-2, integrated CL-GD 5430 video, 6xEISA and 3xPCI (1 shared), Neptune chipset:

intel1_911.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24136 of 53065, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found me an EISA Artist Card. Schweet good ol' unusable TIGA.

CGS_8045.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_8045.jpg

CGS_8046.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_8046.jpg

CGS_8047.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_8047.jpg

Something about a video accelerator card that has expandable VRAM, plus another bank for expanding the ram for the main chipset itself. HNNNNG.
Unfortunately aside from a photo of the ISA version ( >>LINK<< ) which is pretty much identical I can find absolutely nothing about this card online. No EISA cfg file, no drivers, no documentation...nothing. At least I know at one point it had drivers for Windows 3.x and AutoCAD. 😒

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 24137 of 53065, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 EGA cards today:
- Genoa Super EGA
- Hewlett Packard 45983-60001 with P82C431 / P82C434

DSC_7251.JPG
Filename
DSC_7251.JPG
File size
436.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24138 of 53065, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

xK4PGYC.jpg

q3DAb0T.jpg

tVkY5Tx.jpg

z4a3MFF.jpg

A2yA77V.jpg

Cheap, brand new case, but looks pretty retro 😀 Should be perfect for a DOS Box. ATX though, not AT, but that's fine, there's some nice ATX socket 7 motherboards I can use

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project