VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOS-623 wrote:

This is what i thought as well, but i have 128MB of ram, so how am i low. i dont mean to sound rude, just curious.

DOS splits your memory into several segments.

Conventional memory is the first 640k of RAM. Most titles have minimum requirements for this. I try for greater than 600k conventional.
Upper memory is the range between 640k and 1024k. Some of this is used by BIOS, but the remainder can be used for DOS drivers using DEVICEHIGH and LH (Load High) operands.
EMS and XMS memory are two standards exposing RAM above 1024k. XMS is newer and more common, but EMS is still required by a few titles.

DOS-623 wrote:

what even is 4dos? im sorry, i dont know many of these things. i know lfn is long file names, which i would like, but i might need some assistance with optimisation (apologies)

4dos is an enhanced command interpreter, like COMMAND.COM on steroids. It does neat tricks like path completion.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 41 of 42, by DOS-623

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, so I disabled the unnecessary things in my script temporarily (SHSUCDX and i forget the others) and i was getting ~510K of conventional memory. I even tried removing the USB drivers, and I was still getting ~540K. That's still not enough for me.

Is there any way I can use all (or most of) the EMS I have and put it towards the 0K of UMB I have, or towards the conventional memory? Im not sure where else to go.

And yes, I still have to try FDOS without an autoexec and config, and with yours, xjas, and see where the memory lies. Apologies

Reply 42 of 42, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want UMB available for your drivers to use instead of conventional RAM. To do so, load EMM386, QEMM, or UMBPCI.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder