Topic actions

Reply 62 of 148, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Ok! Good to know!
So bottom line, what would a dual Slot 1 PC excel at?

At giving luckybob orgasm of course. 😜 Actually, quite a few other vogoners too!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 63 of 148, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Ok! Good to know!
So bottom line, what would a dual Slot 1 PC excel at?

At giving luckybob orgasm of course. 😜 Actually, quite a few other vogoners too!

LoL, some of the stuff I got would certainly do the job. /hides everything

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 68 of 148, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well then, I'll probably go with Slot 1 since it is so different and cool. I think the CPU cartridge idea was a good one, since more can be put onto the cartridge itself, thus saving space for other chips on the motherboard. Also, it makes switching CPUs a breeze, and it takes up less space on the board.

Reply 69 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to make it harder and cooler, look for slot-A instead. My Voodoo2 setup is an AMD 1ghz slot A setup. Runs fast. All I need to find is a goldfinger device and Alpha heatsink.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 74 of 148, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jupiter-18 wrote:
So if I understand it correctly: 3Dlabs - Pentium II FireGL - Pentium III Quadro - Pentium 4 […]
Show full quote

So if I understand it correctly:
3Dlabs - Pentium II
FireGL - Pentium III
Quadro - Pentium 4

Not so easy. There's quite a difference between a 3Dlabs 300SX based card (late 1994), 500TX (1996) and MX (1997). After this were the 3Dlabs Oxygens (before was the Dynamic Picture Oxygen V192, DP was later bought by 3Dlabs). Later, after they've acquired the workstation business from Intergraph, were the Wildcats.

FireGL is also a broad term. There were many FireGLs, on very different chipsets. There were even just "Fire" cards, before they could do OpenGL (Fire and the first FireGL, based on 3Dlabs 300SX, were manufactured by SPEA, later bought by Diamond).

The first Quadro was released when Pentium IIIs were popular, before Pentium 4 was sold. It was the ELSA GLoria II (had one in that days), SGI also had also their Quadro based VPro VR3 cards.

Of course there were many other OpenGL workstation cards in the 90s'. Intergraph was the PC high-end of 3D graphics. E&S did some nice systems (never seen a Freedom Series subsystem). OKI, NEC, Lockheed Martin, AccelGraphics and many others, even SGI had their PC-like Visual Workstation (a Quad Pentium III Xeon monster).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 75 of 148, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, if I wanted to get the craziest, most powerful 2005 era workstation, what would I need? Just out of curiosity. Also, what would be the most powerful graphics card I could get on a dual cpu slot 1 Pentium 3 motherboard?

Reply 76 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2005? Thats late P4 era. Google the Asus ncch-dl motherboard, put 2x 3.8ghz irwindale processors. The options are endless and quite frankly boring.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 77 of 148, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

2005? Thats late P4 era. Google the Asus ncch-dl motherboard, put 2x 3.8ghz irwindale processors. The options are endless and quite frankly boring.

Nope. 2005 is AMD. Dual Opteron + GF6800 SLI FTW! Look at the God Box: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2005/04/system-guide-200504/

Reply 79 of 148, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Pci-e machines dont count.

Challenge accepted. Iwill DK8N (NVIDIA nForce3 Pro 250) with dual Opterons and AGP! http://www.burningissues.net/hard/DK8N_review/ Not sure if there were more Dual Opteron nForce boards with AGP.