VOGONS

First post, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to replace the 32MB RAM on an 1998 VAIO 505FX with 64MB.
I'm planning to take off the chips with my hot air station.
What's the best way to solder the new chips on though? The space between the ICs is so narrow and the solder pads are barely longer, if at all, than the IC's legs.
Recommendations?

Reply 1 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd use a regular soldering iron with a narrow beveled tip and plenty of no-wash tacky flux, despite the crampedness. Make sure you have a copper braid available too.

Since you have a hot air station, using it and tin paste might be an easier option if you have some previous experience with that method. If you aren't spot on with the amount of paste to use, it will probably end up in a mess though.

Reply 2 of 15, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also use kapton tape if you are planning to use hot air.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used aluminium foil to cover things and I managed to get to the row of pins next to the PCMCIA slot with a very fine tip.
Operation successful: a whopping 64MB RAM now!

Reply 5 of 15, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
naujoks wrote on 2024-06-19, 12:39:

I used aluminium foil to cover things and I managed to get to the row of pins next to the PCMCIA slot with a very fine tip.
Operation successful: a whopping 64MB RAM now!

Woah, nice job.
I was gonna say foil tape is best according to hot air soldering videos I've seen on youtube, aluminium foil should work great too when it doesn't blow away

Is the Sony PCG-505FX another one of Sony's laptops that has totally non-standard memory? Looks like it is: https://www.pchistory.lv/notebook-sony-pcg-505fx/
My Picturebook PCG-C1XD is the same, stuck with the stock 64MB ram forever
That's very cool that it worked with just doubling the density, I guess that's because it's EDO rather than SDRAM

Reply 6 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-06-22, 19:08:

no onboard size jumpers/spd reprogramming needed? Bios picked it up automagically? neat

Yes, that's right.
I only knew this would work because someone else tried to do this before me:
http://www.fieros.de/vaio/ram.html

Unfortunately I don't have the RAM module, so I can't get the machine up to 128MB.

It's an awesome little laptop, which I would have been very happy to use in 1998. Financally it was waaaay out of reach though.
It does all the things it's supposed to do really fast, like Word opens in a second or so. It even plays Half Life (quite choppily though).

Reply 8 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

omg I hadn't even seen that yet!
I will have to try it out immediately. The poor VAIO, it was settling in for its old age but now it's being pushed to its limits 🤣

Reply 10 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did the mod, but it didn't change anything. The machine is still at 266MHz. What a shame.

Reply 12 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the website, it will say 300MHz on the boot screen.
I checked with HWINFO, it says 266 there too.

Reply 13 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hmm if the bios can show 300 then it would suggest its a multiplier mod after all bumping to mythical x4.5
I pasted wrong link in my previous post 😐 back to this thread instead of Re: Tillamook SMP and multiplier unlocking investigation thread.
locked CPU will not let you do that, and as Sphere478 found out even unlocked ones arent a guarantee

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 15, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this CPU is probably locked then?