VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 49580 of 52808, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-06-19, 13:41:
After months of searching for a decently priced Matrox Parhelia with AGP "universal" support, I got one, a 128 MB model. I added […]
Show full quote

After months of searching for a decently priced Matrox Parhelia with AGP "universal" support, I got one, a 128 MB model. I added it to the G400 and Millenium P750 (Parhelia LX) cards:

IMG-0478.jpg

I tested a few gpu's today and one was one of those G400's , that worked and ATi(RV100)7000... however I recaped a GF4 and now it give's me screen gives not optimal mode

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49582 of 52808, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-06-19, 13:41:
After months of searching for a decently priced Matrox Parhelia with AGP "universal" support, I got one, a 128 MB model. I added […]
Show full quote

After months of searching for a decently priced Matrox Parhelia with AGP "universal" support, I got one, a 128 MB model. I added it to the G400 and Millenium P750 (Parhelia LX) cards:

IMG-0478.jpg

G400 really has a place in my retro conscience. Especially the MAX, which was my first 2d/3d card after the Millennium II/Voodoo2 combo 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 49583 of 52808, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw several Chinese eBay sellers listing new or new old stock IDE drives and was curious about them. The product pictures were dubiously generic but the price with shipping was reasonable enough to take a chance on a few and see what I got.

So, I ordered 2 x 40GB WD and 2 x 160GB Seagate drives and they arrived today:

IMG_5135.jpeg
Filename
IMG_5135.jpeg
File size
920.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Haven't tried them out yet but to look at them they appear new old stock, date coded 2005-2007. The pairs aren't identical - the Seagates were made a year apart with slightly different product code and firmwares. The WDs are also made a year apart from each other, have a different label but otherwise appear to be matched.

I didn't have any IDE HDs before these, so if they're good they might find a way into one of my systems. 🙂

Reply 49585 of 52808, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2023-06-19, 17:29:
acl wrote on 2023-06-19, 12:32:

...Should definitely make a video about the GeForve this month.

There's actually a GeForve 256?? I thought it was a typo.

Typo 😉
Nexxen is not the first Vogons user to joke about it.
I will change my signature because it's outdated... and i have more systems, like one for every year. So I can't list them all in the signature.

What is fun about the GeForce I used for this build is that it evolved with the cards I added to my collection.

The first card was a 3D Prophet SE. Which is a downclocked GeForce 256 with only 16MB ram (Not super common and a did a video about it). Then i got a normal SDR Version 32 MB. Then i got a DDR version 32MB and this month i got a DDR version 32MB with DVI.
The system always used GeForce 256 cards but I upgraded it 3 times.

The GeForce 256 DDR 64MB is quite rare so i'm not sure I will ever get one (And four GeForce 256 are probably enough for collection) But i'm still looking !

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 49586 of 52808, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-06-20, 05:16:

The GeForce 256 DDR 64MB is quite rare so i'm not sure I will ever get one (And four GeForce 256 are probably enough for collection) But i'm still looking !

Gotta catch'em all, though 😉

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 49587 of 52808, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Quadro is basically the same thing, and I've seen them more often.

Reply 49588 of 52808, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Typo 😉 Nexxen is not the first Vogons user to joke about it. I will change my signature because it's outdated... and i have more […]
Show full quote

Typo 😉
I will change my signature because it's outdated... and i have more systems, like one for every year. So I can't list them all in the signature.

What is fun about the GeForce I used for this build is that it evolved with the cards I added to my collection.

The first card was a 3D Prophet SE. Which is a downclocked GeForce 256 with only 16MB ram (Not super common and a did a video about it). Then i got a normal SDR Version 32 MB. Then i got a DDR version 32MB and this month i got a DDR version 32MB with DVI.

I only have one 256 in my collection and its the 64Mb DDR version 🤣, I did get lucky with that one as it was mislabled as a SDR version, but nope its a fully fledged DDR model. In all honesty I dont have a lot of application for it as any system that can handle a 256 DDR can also handle a GF2 Ultra/GTS and they are far easier to obtain.

I guess if I ever get my Dual Slot 1 setup built it may be perfect for such a rig.

Reply 49590 of 52808, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-06-20, 07:10:

Guys, just curious, do you buy anything besides GPUs ? 🙂

Sure, motherboards, CPU and sound cards too 🤣

More seriously, i buy less stuff than i used to because i have most of the things i wanted. Honestly it's hard to slow down. But i try to stay a collector rather than a hoarder.
Also i currently have less time and money for retro stuff because i'm preparing my private pilot license exam 🛩️ (So i buy GPUs... and flight time and manuals)

I even sold things lately. Mostly pieces i have multiple times.

Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-20, 05:50:

I only have one 256 in my collection and its the 64Mb DDR version 🤣, I did get lucky with that one as it was mislabled as a SDR version, but nope its a fully fledged DDR model. In all honesty I dont have a lot of application for it as any system that can handle a 256 DDR can also handle a GF2 Ultra/GTS and they are far easier to obtain.

I guess if I ever get my Dual Slot 1 setup built it may be perfect for such a rig.

I actually use my GeForce quite often for 1998-2000 games.

Warlord wrote on 2023-06-20, 05:35:

Never had the chance to spot one in France unfortunately 🤷‍♂️

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 49591 of 52808, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there are a few currently available in Europe though - granted, they all come from the Quadro branch of the family.
But £165(or best offer) is a bit too rich for my taste. And the german ones are priced higher than a Voodoo 5500 PCI... 😑
The american Quadro ones are a bit more sober, at $90/96(best offer) and up, but then there is the shipping cost and VAT/customs.....

Edit:
...hmm, maybe I am totally mistaken here - Quadro 2 is presumably a GF2 (Ultra) and NOT a 256...... 😳

Reply 49592 of 52808, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Typo 😉 Nexxen is not the first Vogons user to joke about it. I will change my signature because it's outdated... and i have more […]
Show full quote

Typo 😉

Just make one , resolder old mem to a broken 256 , and reflash 64 mb bios on top , and voila , you got it 😁 (you need skill) but worth effort.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49593 of 52808, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an "as new" PS2 keyboard locally...which is in fact heavily used, has a broken rear leg and is dirty. Great. But it woks for 5€.
Amazingly nobody around me has them anymore.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 49594 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting tempteeeeeeeed.... spotted a dude on Imgur saying he needs to liquidate. I have no reason to suppose he's anywhere near me though and this type of thing is wisest to do in person, cash on pickup... https://imgur.com/gallery/8Q4fgeS

I might have a local deal going on later, waiting on resolving meetup window, "middle age" stuff though rather than retro. But doing that for years is how I got so much retro to play with.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49595 of 52808, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-06-20, 19:43:

Getting tempteeeeeeeed.... spotted a dude on Imgur saying he needs to liquidate. I have no reason to suppose he's anywhere near me though and this type of thing is wisest to do in person, cash on pickup... https://imgur.com/gallery/8Q4fgeS

I might have a local deal going on later, waiting on resolving meetup window, "middle age" stuff though rather than retro. But doing that for years is how I got so much retro to play with.

fyi, according to the bio & comments, he's somewhere in austin, texass.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 49596 of 52808, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-06-20, 18:51:

I bought an "as new" PS2 keyboard locally...which is in fact heavily used, has a broken rear leg and is dirty. Great. But it woks for 5€.
Amazingly nobody around me has them anymore.

PS2 or AT? PS2 there are loads and loads of new items 😁 ( I think I have a few new keyboards as well)

P.S. I wonder what will my tech end-up after I sease to exist... hmm... landfill?donation's? scrap? oh.... I know verry few persons arround that apreciate , well , old stuff I supose...

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49597 of 52808, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-06-20, 07:32:
Warlord wrote on 2023-06-20, 05:35:

Never had the chance to spot one in France unfortunately 🤷‍♂️

Thats strange since a european company ELSA made most of them as far as Im aware.

Reply 49598 of 52808, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RageXL.jpg
Filename
RageXL.jpg
File size
340.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Got this ATi Rage XL today for 5 EUR. I primarily bought it to test the universal AGP slots of some of my newly acquired motherboards. I need to know if older AGP 3.3V cards can work on those, and I'd rather put a cheap Rage XL in there than a much more valuable Voodoo 3.

However, this unassuming card pleasantly surprised me in some ways. Firstly, the image quality is pretty decent, even at 1600x1200. Not quite as good as Matrox (few things are) but still very nice for a card from that era. Secondly, this appears to be among the latest and fastest cards which still support ATi CIF. It runs the original Tomb Raider at 800x600 with 24-bit colors at a near constant 30 FPS. For reference, I used the special ATI_3D_CIF_compatible_Rage_XL driver and the tombatiragepro patch, both from Gona's ATI CIF page. This is probably one of the cheapest and yet smoothest ways to play the original Tomb Raider with 3D acceleration using relatively period-correct hardware.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 49599 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah those can run Q3 engine stuff low res on the miniGL driver that came too late to make them a gaming star in their era. Despite the budgetty look they are pretty much the pinnacle of the original 64 bit Rage architecture. They can overclock with either powerstrip or rivatuner forgot which. They are underappreciated I feel, though they are recently getting tarnished by the horrible implementation of recent remanufactured XL and XC cards that don't work well in older systems.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.