Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6521 of 52976, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:
AWE32s are not that uncommon. But you may have to extend your search beyond eBay and search other local classifieds sites / foru […]
Show full quote

AWE32s are not that uncommon. But you may have to extend your search beyond eBay and search other local classifieds sites / forums.

This one has been around for weeks / months:
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m871587447

The scrapper who contacted me a while ago agreed to have me consult: e.g. I will test / clean / prepare items for his eBay et cetera sales. He will reimburse me in kind (e.g. hardware). This should start in March and be an occasional activity. Obviously it depends on his intake of vintage stuff.

I agree, Awe32's arn't that hard to find. The CT3900 though is another story...at least for me anyway. My all time favourite sound blaster. I guess you're right regarding extending my search. I tend to only look on eBay, Amazon and Amibay.

Reply 6523 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought this Asus CUV4X for ~2.5 Euro 😀
It should be perfect as a really fast DOS box with a modified Pentium III-S 1400

AsusCUV4X.jpg

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-02-08, 10:07. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6524 of 52976, by lwizardl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't buy these today (like 3 months ago or something like that) but since I am new to the forum I thought people would appreciate the find 😀

grabbed this from Salvation Army for $4.99 a brand new sealed SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer PCI edition. Comes bundled with Decent 3, Need for SPeed 4, and Theif
Soundblaster-Xlive-A.jpg
Soundblaster-Xlive-B.jpg

Model #SB4760X

Reply 6525 of 52976, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapped the hinge on my Latitude C600, seems to have gone fine.

However, I have a much rarer laptop to show:

ia7wNCHl.jpg

This is a Sony Vaio PCG-SR1K, and it was the only example on eBay UK at the time of purchase. It's a 10" laptop, with a 500 MHz Pentium III CPU, 192 MB of RAM (I was lucky; this came with an extra 128MB micro-DIMM, as most shipped with 64MB only) and the obligatory 440BX chipset. It's far from perfect; it needs a good clean, the battery is shot, the screen is a bit iffy, it needs putting together properly and it only boots from the PCMCIA CD-ROM drive when it wants. However, it did come with the CD drive (which works fine), charger, and basically everything needed to make it complete, bar a HDD and the caddy. I'm planning to put a 16GB CF card in it as an experiment. As it won't boot from the CD drive consistently, however, I'm having to jump through a few hoops to actually get a properly configured Windows installation on it! Thank goodness for the Latitude C600 having a 440BX chipset as well.

Reply 6526 of 52976, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:
Swapped the hinge on my Latitude C600, seems to have gone fine. […]
Show full quote

ia7wNCHl.jpg

This is a Sony Vaio PCG-SR1K, and it was the only example on eBay UK at the time of purchase. It's a 10" laptop, with a 500 MHz Pentium III CPU, 192 MB of RAM (I was lucky; this came with an extra 128MB micro-DIMM, as most shipped with 64MB only) and the obligatory 440BX chipset. It's far from perfect; it needs a good clean, the battery is shot, the screen is a bit iffy, it needs putting together properly and it only boots from the PCMCIA CD-ROM drive when it wants. However, it did come with the CD drive (which works fine), charger, and basically everything needed to make it complete, bar a HDD and the caddy. I'm planning to put a 16GB CF card in it as an experiment. As it won't boot from the CD drive consistently, however, I'm having to jump through a few hoops to actually get a properly configured Windows installation on it! Thank goodness for the Latitude C600 having a 440BX chipset as well.

I love the way Sony designed the Vaios. They were always 5 years ahead of the pack.
Too bad they had to kill the line.

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE

Reply 6529 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:
AWE32s are not that uncommon. But you may have to extend your search beyond eBay and search other local classifieds sites / foru […]
Show full quote

AWE32s are not that uncommon. But you may have to extend your search beyond eBay and search other local classifieds sites / forums.

This one has been around for weeks / months:
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m871587447

The scrapper who contacted me a while ago agreed to have me consult: e.g. I will test / clean / prepare items for his eBay et cetera sales. He will reimburse me in kind (e.g. hardware). This should start in March and be an occasional activity. Obviously it depends on his intake of vintage stuff.

It took me what seemed like forever to find a CT3980 and when it arrived it stunk like cigarette smoke. 😠

While I was waiting, someone decided to sell a CT3980 box with manuals, software and all the associated hardware that goes with it plus a bunch of other miscellaneous computer accessories so I snagged that lot figuring I could resell the CT3980 that I eventually got as complete in box one day for a big profit.

Reply 6530 of 52976, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

modified Pentium III-S 1400

What kind of mod this is?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 6531 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

FCPGA2 ---> FCPGA mod.
A Korean guy sells pre modified CPUs on Ebay.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 6532 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Godlike wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

The pin wire mod to make a Tualatin work in a Coppermine motherboard. He sells them pre-modded so you don't have to do it yourself or search in vain and shell out big bucks for a rare socket interposer like a Lin-Lin adapter (which doesn't work with every Coppermine motherboard, so even if you find one you might still be out of luck), but he charges a pretty hefty premium over what an unmodded Pentium III-s sells for so if you were buying one to put in a motherboard that was designed to work with a Tualatin, then you would get an unmodded one and save some money.

Reply 6533 of 52976, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Godlike wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

The pin wire mod to make a Tualatin work in a Coppermine motherboard. He sells them pre-modded so you don't have to do it yourself or search in vain and shell out big bucks for a rare socket interposer like a Lin-Lin adapter (which doesn't work with every Coppermine motherboard, so even if you find one you might still be out of luck), but he charges a pretty hefty premium over what an unmodded Pentium III-s sells for so if you were buying one to put in a motherboard that was designed to work with a Tualatin, then you would get an unmodded one and save some money.

I will call it adapter only. I thought is some kind of hardware overclocking, I think I saw this on Ebay last times. Can you provide a link to his auction?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 6534 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:

I will call it adapter only. I thought is some kind of hardware overclocking, I think I saw this on Ebay last times. Can you provide a link to his auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GH … =item417b1c3fc1

Reply 6535 of 52976, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lwizardl wrote:

Comes bundled with Decent 3, Need for SPeed 4, and Theif

How I love EAXed Thief The Dark Project with 5.1 speakers!
This comes by post day before yesterday, full boxed version, another model for spare audio gear 😀
(live without sound? nah...)
spTd0by.jpg?1
DmdoIcs.jpg?1
Jmz74K6.jpg?1

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 6537 of 52976, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kaasschaaf wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:
Swapped the hinge on my Latitude C600, seems to have gone fine. […]
Show full quote

ia7wNCHl.jpg

I love the way Sony designed the Vaios. They were always 5 years ahead of the pack.
Too bad they had to kill the line.

The hardware itself was fine, but Sony's inability to offer proper driver support for OSes that were still relevant when the laptops were sold (ie Windows 98 on this laptop, which shipped with Windows 2000; given that they usually shipped new with 64MB of RAM, this change would've been quite popular with some) is pathetic. Dell are very good at this, but Sony? Often, they'd have the drivers available for another product that used the same components on an older OS, but still wouldn't bother to list those drivers on the newer product's page. At least the drivers aren't totally in no-man's land, even after Sony cut the Vaio line loose.

Reply 6538 of 52976, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VooDooMan wrote:

Time for a REVOLUTION 😁

wife: where all the cash from our account gone?
husband: it's been hacked by a hacker I think
Vogons night: Time for a REVOLUTION 😁

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 6539 of 52976, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VooDooMan wrote:

Time for a REVOLUTION :D

PCI board - what it is?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600