VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10581 of 53082, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

That's not a computer. That's a furry animal living inside a metal box.

Believe me, I found CHUNKS of dust that could qualify as intelligent lifeforms inside there.

Forgot to take pictures of the outside earlier. There is some slight yellowing of the case cover and bezel, but it's not very noticeable in the pictures.

Also, there is a huge downside to this computer - drive rails! It didn't come with drive rails for the 5.25" drive, so no CD-ROM is going in there for now. There is however a shop that is selling them online...for $86 a kit (5.25" and 3.5" pairs). 😠

1Gdg4x.jpg
CSJBaI.jpg

Reply 10582 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

That's not a computer. That's a furry animal living inside a metal box.

Give it a bisquit or a cracker, then it will eat the whole arm. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10583 of 53082, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting Vectra never seen that VL motherboard paired with that VE case only socket 3 boards I ever see in that case have SIS chipset and PCI slots. Nice find regardless horizontal Vectras with 486 CPUs are not very easy to source.

Cache module for Deskpro XE 560 arrived the other day never thought I would find one

Attachments

• 100_1450 (Large).JPG
    Filename
    100_1450 (Large).JPG
    File size
    147.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 100_1448 (Large).JPG
    Filename
    100_1448 (Large).JPG
    File size
    146.18 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10585 of 53082, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New 5V-heavy PSU!
ujZq7G9m.jpg?1
Was very dirty so I had to clean thoroughly... here are the innards:
fOxTm7Pm.jpg?1
Aaaand its full for "PCE-Tur" and "PCE-Tul" capacitors (appears to be from a brand called CEC from what I could find). Crap cap map:
WPaYrXrm.jpg?1
Its got two fans: an 80mm fan and a 90mm one.... the bigger one is fine, but the 80mm one is noisy as hell. Tried dropping some oil there but made little difference. Will need to get a new fan (and solder the connector) eventually... its not THAT bad when you use the knob on the back of the PSU to reduce the speed though.

Reply 10586 of 53082, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not bought this today, it was a few weeks ago but I have not tested it until now. 😀

A fishbowl! I got rid of all VGA screens and sub 17" SVGA/XGA screens ages ago so I really needed one. The screen is a Packard Bell VGA screen with 0.39 mm dot pitch. 640*480 is the maximum resolution, it can do 720*400 EGA but not 720*480 so it wont work with DVDs in full resolution.

Packard Bell PB8539VG

Packard Bell PB8539VG VGA 0,39 Dot Pitch .JPG
Filename
Packard Bell PB8539VG VGA 0,39 Dot Pitch .JPG
File size
3.28 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10588 of 53082, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Aaaand its full for "PCE-Tur" and "PCE-Tul" capacitors (appears to be from a brand called CEC from what I could find). Crap cap map:

Yes CEC = CEC Coils. Owned by CEC International Holdings.
I think they stopped making caps to focus on their inductor and transformer business. No more caps datasheets online.
There were 9 varieties (series) of PCE-Txx that I know of. I have the datasheets archived if you need info.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10589 of 53082, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rein_ein wrote:
Lots of stuff just arrived to my door,i'm so glad and gonna test it all right now! […]
Show full quote

Lots of stuff just arrived to my door,i'm so glad and gonna test it all right now!

d8z9dIWl.jpg

Nice! what's the Dell? looks a bit like a more modern revision of my Dell 333P's case

Reply 10590 of 53082, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sirlemonhead wrote:

Nice! what's the Dell? looks a bit like a more modern revision of my Dell 333P's case

PcnPwx7m.jpg4ZSWioMm.jpg

Dell 425S/nP i486SX based powered up after swapping simm modules,looks like it missing original rails

and compaq deskpro 2000 or something like that keep showing me black screen and didnt start,working on it

aF20tsqm.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10591 of 53082, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

I think they stopped making caps to focus on their inductor and transformer business. No more caps datasheets online.
There were 9 varieties (series) of PCE-Txx that I know of. I have the datasheets archived if you need info.

Are CEC capacitors bad? If they are I should probably replace them ASAP.
I'll accept your offer - I'd like their datasheets please. Thanks!

Reply 10592 of 53082, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rein_ein wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/PcnPwx7m.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/4ZSWioMm.jpg […]
Show full quote
sirlemonhead wrote:

PcnPwx7m.jpg4ZSWioMm.jpg

Dell 425S/nP i486SX based powered up after swapping simm modules,looks like it missing original rails

and compaq deskpro 2000 or something like that keep showing me black screen and didnt start,working on it

aF20tsqm.jpg

Awesome! Same bios and all 😀

Any chance you could take some photos of the little metal shelf that screws onto the floppy drive that then screws into the case? I've lost mine and would like to look into replacing it.. Am thinking some sheet metal cut appropriately..

Reply 10594 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty certain my Grandad's Dell 286 had that BIOS too, or one very similar. That was an odd machine and I wish I had been able to get hold of it when he replaced it with a Mac, unfortunately, I was unsuccessful and I have no idea what happened to it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10595 of 53082, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Are CEC capacitors bad? If they are I should probably replace them ASAP.
I'll accept your offer - I'd like their datasheets please. Thanks!

Unreliable. About like CapXon in PSUs.

I'm attaching the datasheets for the "PCE-Tur" and "PCE-Tul" you mentioned.
Those are probably the most common CEC seen in PSUs. If you need any others ask.
There is a lot of Chinese in them so some PDF readers might complain but if you can get them to load what matters is in English.
TUR are GP caps so upgrading to something like FC, PW, LXZ would be a good idea.
TUL are low ESR but their specs are splattered all over so it's best to look at the specific cap.

Attachments

• Filename
    CEC TUL Series.pdf
    File size
    59.3 KiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    CEC TUR Series.pdf
    File size
    60.54 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10596 of 53082, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! I'll look at them carefully tomorrow. I'll see what replacements I can source in Brazil, but I just might have to order them from the US through Digikey.

Reply 10598 of 53082, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought several bits and bobs recently, most notably a Promise Enhanced IDE controller the same as I had in my old 486, in very good condition boxed and two larger items which aren't specifically pc in the sense but worthy of adding to the collection!

The first is an Acorn Risc 700 in reasonably good shape, as a bonus it had a 5x86 card installed inside 😀 I've had to remove the leaking battery and treat the area as corrosion had set in but it still appears to work!

20160206_023008.jpg
Filename
20160206_023008.jpg
File size
240.64 KiB
Views
File license

The second is an Apple Powermac 4400/200, in good condition but dead as a dodo, from reading up I assume its the battery causing the issue

20160206_023042.jpg
Filename
20160206_023042.jpg
File size
151.53 KiB
Views
File license

These two cost me a grand sum of £7 😀

Reply 10599 of 53082, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rein_ein wrote:
Lots of stuff just arrived to my door,i'm so glad and gonna test it all right now! […]
Show full quote

Lots of stuff just arrived to my door,i'm so glad and gonna test it all right now!

d8z9dIWl.jpg

Like this mid 90s hardware and early 3D especially. A few builds can be resurrected from this components. Quake era makes me always smile

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300