VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18860 of 52877, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sapphire Radeon DDR 7000 PCI for my Optiplex GX110 project.. This is a backup, in case the G450 I got turns out to be a dud (or I decide to scrap the idea of MS-DOS and OS/2 on the thing altogether..)

med_gallery_60983_11505_388913.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18861 of 52877, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I was saying few days ago, mystery package shows on my door bell today. Behold, X800 Pro VIVO AGP 😀

X800.jpg

This is the version, which came form factory with 12 pipelines activated, but only because of BIOS. I will be flashing X800 XT PE BIOS, once I test, that it can handle higher frequencies 😎

Oh, and btw, I must say, that I never receive anything warped in paper towel, let alone some PC hardware 🤣

X800_1.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 18862 of 52877, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to share with you my today's purchase (seller photos):

IBM XT/286 (5162).

From what I can see it's equipped with IBM EGA card with memory expansion daughterboard. Pretty rare!

DfTKEWc.jpg

vaOc209.jpg

Reply 18863 of 52877, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@tikoellner

DenseHighIrukandjijellyfish.gif

I hear the XT/286 can be a rather uncommon and expensive machine.

Last edited by luckybob on 2017-09-07, 23:26. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18864 of 52877, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Well, you learn something new every day. In my mind, "XT" meant "8088" and "286" meant "PC/AT." Madness.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18865 of 52877, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it seems very rare. As I read, only 20.000 were ever made. So when I spotted one listed locally, I decided to bid. I finally bought it for ~120USD equiv.

I don't know if it's working. Externally it looks pretty OK. I have a spare XT case if necessary.

I will also try to upgrade it:

1) I already have AST 286 Rampage card I will try to use;
2) I guess I will put Creative Sound Blaster 1.0. inside. I also own PAS 8 bit, but it does not seem to be period correct - what do you think?
3) I will consider both EGA and VGA card. But will probably keep original IBM EGA adapter (have two of them) as this one has this neat expansion board.

Reply 18866 of 52877, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ Well, you learn something new every day. In my mind, "XT" meant "8088" and "286" meant "PC/AT." Madness.

Yes, I thought so as well. I think those XT/286 were replaced by AT (5170) very quickly - and that's the reason they're so rare.

Here you can see the motherboard:
http://www.classicpc.nl/img/p/87-212-thickbox.jpg

Thankfully no battery onboard!!!

What is VERY interesting, XT/286 is said to be FASTER than IBM AT 5170, due to zero wait state memory.

Reply 18867 of 52877, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked these up for my VR machine over the last couple days. I didn't really need the CRT but I like how it's kind-of color matched.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
176.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
125.44 KiB
Views
File license

It's a nice one too, the detachable VGA cable makes it a little more manageable to lug around.

I've said in the past that I'm a big fan of the picture of late (2000-2005) generation CRTs, and that's true, but I will concede that LCD panels are a better technology. 😜 This thing is heavy, and it takes a ton of space. How the hell did I lug a 21" SGI monitor around to LAN parties when I was a teenager?

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
159.37 KiB
Views
File license

Speaking of LAN parties, it's great to have these! The Wingman Extreme was my go-to stick when I used to play the competitive Descent circuit back in the day. I seem to remember breaking several of them before switching to a Gravis Firebird II, but fortunately this one is in great shape. The Wingman Original's trigger button doesn't work but I bet I can fix it.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
93.53 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally the monitor had a bunch of little velcro circles stuck (HARD) to it for some reason. Can you tell there was one here?? 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18868 of 52877, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

everything for 20 dollars, + an acer socket7 motherboard + voodoo2 vga cable + voodoo2 sli cable

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

one card looks like
FCC: ICUVGA-GW803N
P/N: 9803-20N

Gainward Dragon 3000 12MB Voodoo2

the other card looks like
600-0027-03
Trust Skywell Voodoo Dragon 2 Magic 3D II 12MB Voodoo2

but its not black, and it says voodoo2 version3, and the memory is 110mhz, same design as innovision, maker is so far unknown

there is a matrox powervr card without any output that i dont know what the heck it is

Reply 18869 of 52877, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
everything for 20 dollars, + an acer socket7 motherboard + voodoo2 vga cable + voodoo2 sli cable […]
Show full quote

everything for 20 dollars, + an acer socket7 motherboard + voodoo2 vga cable + voodoo2 sli cable

one card looks like

600-0027-03

but its not black, and it says voodoo2 version3, and the memory is 110mhz, same design as innovision, maker is so far unknown

there is a matrox powervr card without any output that i dont know what the heck it is

You have a good sense of treasure. The power vr card is probably worth the combination of the two voodoo2 cards. Super rare. It's a competitor of voodoo1 and it doesn't use pass thru cable.
You can find its drivers at matrox.com under the name m3d.

Reply 18870 of 52877, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
everything for 20 dollars, + an acer socket7 motherboard + voodoo2 vga cable + voodoo2 sli cable […]
Show full quote

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

one card looks like

600-0027-03

Holy sh*t, that's a good deal. How did you score that one?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18871 of 52877, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

pure luck
there was a guy selling a box full of old hardware. he was thinking about getting 100 dollars for it.

he did the auction, but i offered only 20 bucks, 6 days passed and nobody else offered for the box , and i won it.

didn´t know these were worth so much, i saw the matrox m3d card for 150dollars on ebay? what a crime.

Reply 18872 of 52877, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:
3.jpg

Incidentally the monitor had a bunch of little velcro circles stuck (HARD) to it for some reason. Can you tell there was one here?? 😜

Looks like the fly back plug zapped the casing on the CRT 😲
They could have ad a web cam or something stupid suck to the top of the casing. But who knows?

Reply 18873 of 52877, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LaCie displays were intended for the publishing and design, so they had a special hood against the sunlight:
lacie_electron22blueIV.jpg

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 18874 of 52877, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found what I thought was an old PC at the thrift store, turned out to be just another generic s478 P4. Oh well. It was $10.

If specs on inside of side panel are to be trusted, its a P4 2.4ghz/512mb ram/radeon 7000 32mb agp/msi 845e max2 mobo. currently having an issue where the board is completely dead (fans don't even spin, even with tested PSU) so I'll probably part it out and chuck the mobo in my ewaste pile.

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18875 of 52877, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Found what I thought was an old PC at the thrift store, turned out to be just another generic s478 P4. Oh well. It was $10.

If specs on inside of side panel are to be trusted, its a P4 2.4ghz/512mb ram/radeon 7000 32mb agp/msi 845e max2 mobo. currently having an issue where the board is completely dead (fans don't even spin, even with tested PSU) so I'll probably part it out and chuck the mobo in my ewaste pile.

You've got a case and a 52x CD ROM if nothing else.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18876 of 52877, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

You've got a case and a 52x CD ROM if nothing else.

Yeah, chucked the board into my ewaste box. Completely dead even with reseated everything, different PSU, etc. Oh well.

The case is pretty damn nice though, probably gonna peel off the Pentium 4 sticker and use it with a slot 1 build.

Reply 18877 of 52877, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:

Yeah, chucked the board into my ewaste box. Completely dead even with reseated everything, different PSU, etc. Oh well.

The case is pretty damn nice though, probably gonna peel off the Pentium 4 sticker and use it with a slot 1 build.

No. Fuck that case. I hate those damned enlight cases with a burning passion. No case has ever cut me more than these bastards.

I would have happily paid $10 to go full office space on it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18878 of 52877, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

No. Fuck that case. I hate those damned enlight cases with a burning passion. No case has ever cut me more than these bastards.

I would have happily paid $10 to go full office space on it.

🤣 I will admit it's got a shitty design where you have to tear the front panel off to slide off the panels, but it isnt as bad as my Enlight AT case. THAT bastard has given me a ton of cuts.

Reply 18879 of 52877, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have that case. Hasn't cut me, but I don't like the stupid rails needed to mount drives. Especially since I don't have them...

Also, I'll take removing the front to slide one side off vs sliding the whole cover off (like those P2 era InWin cases)...it jams up, or doesn't line up every time!