VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25940 of 47231, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
xjas wrote:

^^ let us know how that does with standard VGA modes (especially 70Hz ones, e.g. 13h or other 200/400-line modes.) Looks like a useful little piece of gear if it handles those well.

It works...but its severely flawed, I need to talk to someone familiar with both this unit and Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI and drivers.

Reply 25941 of 47231, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture):

m-konversation-anhang.jpg
Filename
m-konversation-anhang.jpg
File size
23.27 KiB
Views
1201 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mainboard has battery damage, but price was really good. Therefore I also accepated that case.... 😵 Looks like painting a 100 year old car in pink color with yellow stripes.

He used with some kind of laquer. Looks really ugly. Need to find a way to remove that. Maybe with a heat gun from the metal part. But for the plastic cover..? Maybe with some chemicals. No idea at the moment.

Reply 25942 of 47231, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Predator99 wrote:
Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture): […]
Show full quote

Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture):

m-konversation-anhang.jpg

Mainboard has battery damage, but price was really good. Therefore I also accepated that case.... 😵 Looks like painting a 100 year old car in pink color with yellow stripes.

He used with some kind of laquer. Looks really ugly. Need to find a way to remove that. Maybe with a heat gun from the metal part. But for the plastic cover..? Maybe with some chemicals. No idea at the moment.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/removing-l … -plastic-25374/

maybe that citris stuff ? Or you could try baking soda and very gentle / long hours ?

Reply 25943 of 47231, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Lacquer thinner, but it's foul stuff and will likely damage the case. Lacquers are usually quite immune to a lot of chemicals.

Neco wrote:
xjas wrote:

^^ let us know how that does with standard VGA modes (especially 70Hz ones, e.g. 13h or other 200/400-line modes.) Looks like a useful little piece of gear if it handles those well.

It works...but its severely flawed, I need to talk to someone familiar with both this unit and Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI and drivers.

Perhaps this is useful for you guys and gals:

http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html

Back when I looked into scalers, the Framemeister was basically the single best option (but very expensive), but it looks like it now has competition. All other scalers tend to suck.

(In the end I didn't need to buy one, as it turned out my Samsung TV would take any resolution via SCART, while the VGA and HDMI inputs were severely limited...)

Reply 25944 of 47231, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh dear... Spent a little too much on old crap again. Not even 100% sure what two of the four cards are exactly, but what was clear made it worth the risk. Will post pics when they arrive and I can fully identify, but for now suffice to say there's a lot of Tseng goodness coming this way 😉

Reply 25945 of 47231, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Are those original driver disks available for download somewhere? If not, could you image the disks and post them here? Thanks.

Here you go. The label reads:

STB SYSTEMS INC.
SOUND RAGE 32/3D
DOS/WIN 3.1X DRIVERS
DISK 1 OF 2
RELEASE 1.0

The Windows 95 drivers are already available on vogonsdrivers. Look for "AMD Interwave."

Filename
Soundrage DOS 1.7z
File size
331.05 KiB
Downloads
28 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Soundrage DOS 2.7z
File size
497.29 KiB
Downloads
43 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25946 of 47231, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Does it sound any different when compared to GUS PnP?

Can't say for sure. I have only the GF1 GUS (Classic and Ace) and don't have the PnP versions.

Reply 25947 of 47231, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server.

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,
36 GB Scsi Hdd, 18 GB Scsi Hdd, 6 GB IDE Hdd, 3,5" Fdd,
Sony SDT-9000 DDS Scsi backup drive,
Nec MultiSpin 4Xi Caddy Scsi Cdrom drive,
Video card Matrox Millenium 2MB wram pci ,
3D accelerator Quantum3D Obsidian2 Sbi 24MB,
Mylex i960 Pci Raid controller 8MB cache,
Intel PRO 100+ dual port 10/100 ethernet card,
SoundBlaster AWE 32 Isa sound card
OS: Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, BeOS 5

Enjoy
https://imgur.com/a/K53aX7k

Attachments

  • image001.jpg
    Filename
    image001.jpg
    File size
    49.07 KiB
    Views
    1032 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25948 of 47231, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx23 wrote:
After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server. […]
Show full quote

After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server.

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,
36 GB Scsi Hdd, 18 GB Scsi Hdd, 6 GB IDE Hdd, 3,5" Fdd,
Sony SDT-9000 DDS Scsi backup drive,
Nec MultiSpin 4Xi Caddy Scsi Cdrom drive,
Video card Matrox Millenium 2MB wram pci ,
3D accelerator Quantum3D Obsidian2 Sbi 24MB,
Mylex i960 Pci Raid controller 8MB cache,
Intel PRO 100+ dual port 10/100 ethernet card,
SoundBlaster AWE 32 Isa sound card
OS: Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, BeOS 5

Enjoy
https://imgur.com/a/K53aX7k

Vogons member hard1k found a FTP site with the EISA config utility and other files for the ALR servers. A ton of Revolution BIOS files are in there as well. Don't know if this will help you or not.

http://solution.eisp.pl/resources/alr/

(っ•́。•́)♪♬

Reply 25949 of 47231, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros.

Looks like it might be in good condition, battery is missing, no word on the disk drive which will likely need a new belt. I'm mainly getting this one in case my other one dies, and, hey, it was a steal.

Seller's photo:
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 25951 of 47231, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture): […]
Show full quote

Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture):

m-konversation-anhang.jpg

Mainboard has battery damage, but price was really good. Therefore I also accepated that case.... 😵 Looks like painting a 100 year old car in pink color with yellow stripes.

He used with some kind of laquer. Looks really ugly. Need to find a way to remove that. Maybe with a heat gun from the metal part. But for the plastic cover..? Maybe with some chemicals. No idea at the moment.

giphy.gif

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25952 of 47231, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (shipping included) on eBay.
I think it will go into my P3-650 build to replace the SB Audigy Platinum EX (SB0090) that no doubt is far more capable but to me feels a bit out of place in this system (P3-650 released in late 1999, SB Audigy released in late 2001, Diamond S90 released in late 1998).

2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
Filename
2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
831 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg
Filename
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
831 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My retro computers

Reply 25953 of 47231, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gex85 wrote:
Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (ship […]
Show full quote

Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (shipping included) on eBay.
I think it will go into my P3-650 build to replace the SB Audigy Platinum EX (SB0090) that no doubt is far more capable but to me feels a bit out of place in this system (P3-650 released in late 1999, SB Audigy released in late 2001, Diamond S90 released in late 1998).

2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg

That Vortex 3D sound is really cool when setup with good speakers.
I use my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.
But any 2,1 speaker setup should work fine.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-11-05, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25954 of 47231, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some S/PDIF backplates to mod my sound cards with Tos-link optical.

Attachments

Reply 25955 of 47231, by Rasna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

mxTCVab.jpg?1
Updated the microcode and rom eproms to the latest version............. 😊

ouFvD50.jpg?1

8trTNJ8.jpg?1
8 meg extra

ddRAqYC.jpg?1
ET4000 32k colors

My MIDI modules: Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55mk2, SC-88 Pro | Yamaha MU-100, SW1000XG | Akai SG01k | Kawai GMega | Korg NS5R

Reply 25956 of 47231, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
henryVK wrote:
Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros. [...] […]
Show full quote

Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros. [...]

Seller's photo:
s-l1600.jpg

Congrats! Great machine and great price. I'd buy that as well!

Reply 25957 of 47231, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
liqmat wrote:
mmx23 wrote:
After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server. […]
Show full quote

After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server.

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,
36 GB Scsi Hdd, 18 GB Scsi Hdd, 6 GB IDE Hdd, 3,5" Fdd,
Sony SDT-9000 DDS Scsi backup drive,
Nec MultiSpin 4Xi Caddy Scsi Cdrom drive,
Video card Matrox Millenium 2MB wram pci ,
3D accelerator Quantum3D Obsidian2 Sbi 24MB,
Mylex i960 Pci Raid controller 8MB cache,
Intel PRO 100+ dual port 10/100 ethernet card,
SoundBlaster AWE 32 Isa sound card
OS: Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, BeOS 5

Enjoy
https://imgur.com/a/K53aX7k

Vogons member hard1k found a FTP site with the EISA config utility and other files for the ALR servers. A ton of Revolution BIOS files are in there as well. Don't know if this will help you or not.

http://solution.eisp.pl/resources/alr/

Thank's for the link, if anyone will need Infor Manager software (you may find a screen shoot in my Imgur pictures and below) just let me know.
Infor MAnager is ALR's (later rebranded in Gateway) hardware monitoring software.

Attachments

  • image043.jpg
    Filename
    image043.jpg
    File size
    88.1 KiB
    Views
    678 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25958 of 47231, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx23 wrote:

After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server.

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
[...]

That's weird, was that stock? Are they "true" Slot 1 slots or some proprietary thing that just looks like Slot 1?

If Slot 1 already existed when they made this, I can't imagine why they didn't just go with P2s and SDRAM. It's not like the Pros would have been any cheaper.

Neat system though, love the CD-ROM.

I should put my ALR7200 board to use...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25959 of 47231, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It also accepts the Pentium II CPUs up to 300MHz according to the gallery on imgur.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 5 2600X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser