m-konversation-anhang.jpg
Filename
File size
23.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mainboard has battery damage, but price was really good. Therefore I also accepated that case.... 😵 Looks like painting a 100 year old car in pink color with yellow stripes.

He used with some kind of laquer. Looks really ugly. Need to find a way to remove that. Maybe with a heat gun from the metal part. But for the plastic cover..? Maybe with some chemicals. No idea at the moment.

Reply 25941 of 52723, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture): […]
Show full quote

Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture):

Mainboard has battery damage, but price was really good. Therefore I also accepated that case.... 😵 Looks like painting a 100 year old car in pink color with yellow stripes.

He used with some kind of laquer. Looks really ugly. Need to find a way to remove that. Maybe with a heat gun from the metal part. But for the plastic cover..? Maybe with some chemicals. No idea at the moment.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/removing-l … -plastic-25374/

maybe that citris stuff ? Or you could try baking soda and very gentle / long hours ?

Reply 25942 of 52723, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Lacquer thinner, but it's foul stuff and will likely damage the case. Lacquers are usually quite immune to a lot of chemicals.

Neco wrote:
xjas wrote:

^^ let us know how that does with standard VGA modes (especially 70Hz ones, e.g. 13h or other 200/400-line modes.) Looks like a useful little piece of gear if it handles those well.

It works...but its severely flawed, I need to talk to someone familiar with both this unit and Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI and drivers.

Perhaps this is useful for you guys and gals:

http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html

Back when I looked into scalers, the Framemeister was basically the single best option (but very expensive), but it looks like it now has competition. All other scalers tend to suck.

(In the end I didn't need to buy one, as it turned out my Samsung TV would take any resolution via SCART, while the VGA and HDMI inputs were severely limited...)

Reply 25943 of 52723, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh dear... Spent a little too much on old crap again. Not even 100% sure what two of the four cards are exactly, but what was clear made it worth the risk. Will post pics when they arrive and I can fully identify, but for now suffice to say there's a lot of Tseng goodness coming this way 😉

Reply 25944 of 52723, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Are those original driver disks available for download somewhere? If not, could you image the disks and post them here? Thanks.

Here you go. The label reads:

STB SYSTEMS INC.
SOUND RAGE 32/3D
DOS/WIN 3.1X DRIVERS
DISK 1 OF 2
RELEASE 1.0

The Windows 95 drivers are already available on vogonsdrivers. Look for "AMD Interwave."

Filename
Soundrage DOS 1.7z
File size
331.05 KiB
Downloads
64 downloads
File license
Filename
Soundrage DOS 2.7z
File size
497.29 KiB
Downloads
83 downloads
File license

Reply 25945 of 52723, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Does it sound any different when compared to GUS PnP?

Can't say for sure. I have only the GF1 GUS (Classic and Ace) and don't have the PnP versions.

Reply 25946 of 52723, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server.

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,
36 GB Scsi Hdd, 18 GB Scsi Hdd, 6 GB IDE Hdd, 3,5" Fdd,
Sony SDT-9000 DDS Scsi backup drive,
Nec MultiSpin 4Xi Caddy Scsi Cdrom drive,
Video card Matrox Millenium 2MB wram pci ,
3D accelerator Quantum3D Obsidian2 Sbi 24MB,
Mylex i960 Pci Raid controller 8MB cache,
Intel PRO 100+ dual port 10/100 ethernet card,
SoundBlaster AWE 32 Isa sound card

Enjoy
https://imgur.com/a/K53aX7k

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    Filename
    image001.jpg
    File size
    49.07 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25947 of 52723, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx23 wrote:
After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server. […]
Show full quote

Two slotket's ( Slot 1 to Slotket 8 converter) with Pentium Pro 200 MHz 256KB cache,
4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,

Enjoy

Vogons member hard1k found a FTP site with the EISA config utility and other files for the ALR servers. A ton of Revolution BIOS files are in there as well. Don't know if this will help you or not.

http://solution.eisp.pl/resources/alr/

Reply 25948 of 52723, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros.

Looks like it might be in good condition, battery is missing, no word on the disk drive which will likely need a new belt. I'm mainly getting this one in case my other one dies, and, hey, it was a steal.

Seller's photo:
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 25950 of 52723, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture): […]
Show full quote

Couldnt say "no" to this one (sellers picture):

giphy.gif

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25951 of 52723, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (shipping included) on eBay.
I think it will go into my P3-650 build to replace the SB Audigy Platinum EX (SB0090) that no doubt is far more capable but to me feels a bit out of place in this system (P3-650 released in late 1999, SB Audigy released in late 2001, Diamond S90 released in late 1998).

2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
Filename
2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg
Filename
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

My retro computers

Reply 25952 of 52723, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gex85 wrote:
Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (ship […]
Show full quote

Diamond Sonic Impact S90. I never owned any soundcard based on an Aureal chipset before and got this one for less than 10€ (shipping included) on eBay.
I think it will go into my P3-650 build to replace the SB Audigy Platinum EX (SB0090) that no doubt is far more capable but to me feels a bit out of place in this system (P3-650 released in late 1999, SB Audigy released in late 2001, Diamond S90 released in late 1998).

2018-11-04 19.32.03.jpg
2018-11-04 19.32.15.jpg

That Vortex 3D sound is really cool when setup with good speakers.
I use my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.
But any 2,1 speaker setup should work fine.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-11-05, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25953 of 52723, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some S/PDIF backplates to mod my sound cards with Tos-link optical.

Attachments

Reply 25954 of 52723, by Rasna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mxTCVab.jpg?1
Updated the microcode and rom eproms to the latest version............. 😊

ouFvD50.jpg?1

8trTNJ8.jpg?1
8 meg extra

ddRAqYC.jpg?1
ET4000 32k colors

My MIDI modules: Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55mk2, SC-88, SC-88 Pro, JV-1010, XV-2020, XV-5080 | Yamaha MU-90, MU-100, SW1000XG, MU-2000EX | Akai SG01k | Kawai GMega | Korg NX5R, N1R, Triton Rack

Reply 25955 of 52723, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:
Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros. [...] […]
Show full quote

Heck yes. Got another Siemens PCD-4ND laptop off ebay for 23 euros. [...]

Seller's photo:
s-l1600.jpg

Congrats! Great machine and great price. I'd buy that as well!

Reply 25956 of 52723, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
mmx23 wrote:
After long searching, I finally found an ALR Revolution 2x server. […]
Show full quote

4x128 MB ECC Edo Ram,

Enjoy

Vogons member hard1k found a FTP site with the EISA config utility and other files for the ALR servers. A ton of Revolution BIOS files are in there as well. Don't know if this will help you or not.

http://solution.eisp.pl/resources/alr/

Thank's for the link, if anyone will need Infor Manager software (you may find a screen shoot in my Imgur pictures and below) just let me know.
Infor MAnager is ALR's (later rebranded in Gateway) hardware monitoring software.

Attachments

• image043.jpg
    Filename
    image043.jpg
    File size
    88.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25957 of 52723, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx23 wrote:

[...]

That's weird, was that stock? Are they "true" Slot 1 slots or some proprietary thing that just looks like Slot 1?

If Slot 1 already existed when they made this, I can't imagine why they didn't just go with P2s and SDRAM. It's not like the Pros would have been any cheaper.

Neat system though, love the CD-ROM.

I should put my ALR7200 board to use...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25958 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It also accepts the Pentium II CPUs up to 300MHz according to the gallery on imgur.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25959 of 52723, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ALR Server is completely stock. To understand why they did it let's go back with a little bit of history.

When Pentium II was launched, Intel didn't had the 440LX chipset released. This made for the earlier Pentium II Klamath cpu's to be initially used on motherboards equipped with the 'aging' Intel 440FX Natoma chipset designed for the Pentium Pro.
But, the Pentium II Klamath had a drawback at his launch. It's originally tag ram chip which give the maximum amount of RAM to be cached, only allows for 512 MB to be cached. Moreover, it could be used on only dual cpu systems.
For server side, where more ram must be used and multiple cpu's, Pentium PRO still was the king. Pentium PRO design allowed 4 cpu's but a few, like HP and ALR, managed to use 6 cpu's on one server (see ALR Revolution 6x6). Maximum accessible ram was 64 GB, but the server's was configured for 4 GB.
Because of that, servers with Pentium PRO processors was still launched until the Pentium II Klamath with 2× 72-bit ECC L2 cache for entry-level servers and Pentium II Xeon (it used a different type of slot, Slot 2) was launched and of course their supported mainboards.

Let's go back to this ALR Server. It was meant to be used as a departmental or Workstation server.
For this, slot 1 was used, and the cpu options was of course earlier Pentium II chip's. For chipset's, the only options was P PRO chipset, 440 FX. Because of early issues with P II tag ram chip, the maximum amount of ECC EDO 128 pin RAM modules was set to max 512 MB (4 ram slots). It's very close to SDRAM in appearance but the ram chips are EDO ECC, not SDRAM (see below picture)

Because the Pentium PRO used the same bus as Pentium II, for entry level option, they equipped this system with Pentium PRO because on those times it was a very large available stock's of P Pro's.

For P PRO to be used on slot 1, an adapter must be used, called slotket.
You can also see slotket's for socket370 too (Pentium II Celeron, Pentium III socket370 to slot 1).

Socket 8 slotket adapter was first of his kind and it was created to allow the use of Socket 8 Pentium Pro processors on Slot 1 motherboards.
There was a few manufacturers of those slotket's, like: Tyan, Asus, Intergraph and as you may see ALR.

From my opinion this is the beauty of this server, slotket's. It's very rare and hard to find.

LE: and yes, it can be configured with Pentium II Klamath. I managed to use a 233 pair but to be honest, I love the slotket's appearance and of course, I want to keep it stock. The last but not least, I love the way Pentium Pro look's (see below)

Attachments

• ppro.jpg
    Filename
    ppro.jpg
    File size
    61.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • edo ecc.jpg
    Filename
    edo ecc.jpg