VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26480 of 52786, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Nice. How does that compare to the 4CoreDual-VSTA?

Well, the intel 865 chipset should be more trouble free than the VIA chipset in the 4coredual I suppose, the performance might be a bit better too. Check Phil's vids on the asrock 775i65g which is like the matx version of this

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 26481 of 52786, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This lot (sellers picture):

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
561.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (4).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (4).jpg
File size
452.59 KiB
Views
File license

I see

- C&T EGA - reason I bought it
- SB 16
- SB AWE 64
- Voodoo 1

Remaining parts seem to be unintersting and will be sold again to get some money back 😀

Reply 26482 of 52786, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome! I just ordered a ConRoe865PE on ebay all the way from Kazakhstan so here's hoping it survives the journey to New Jersey. Let us know how it does!

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 26483 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
This lot (sellers picture): […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

I see

- SB 16
- SB AWE 64
- Voodoo 1

Remaining parts seem to be unintersting and will be sold again to get some money back 😀

The card in the upper right hand corner looks like a PCI Voodoo Banshee, like this one:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?42764-Vo … I-Graphics-Card

Looks like a fun lot to dig through. Definitely look up anything you aren't sure about. I've found some gems lately that I'd almost put in the scrap pile until I realized what they were. For example, a Tseng ET1000 EGA card that looked like a serial\parallel card or a basic looking AGP card that turned out to be an original (pre-Ti) Geforce 3.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 26484 of 52786, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
The card in the upper right hand corner looks like a PCI Voodoo Banshee, like this one: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?427 […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

I see

- SB 16
- SB AWE 64
- Voodoo 1

The card in the upper right hand corner looks like a PCI Voodoo Banshee, like this one:

Looks like a fun lot to dig through. Definitely look up anything you aren't sure about. I've found some gems lately that I'd almost put in the scrap pile until I realized what they were. For example, a Tseng ET1000 EGA card that looked like a serial\parallel card or a basic looking AGP card that turned out to be an original (pre-Ti) Geforce 3.

Hahaha nice one! I wanted to say the same thing. Banshee's can be rocognised fairly easy (only some i740 cards can look a bit like them). I just love spotting cards from pictures, it's a sport 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 26485 of 52786, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
The card in the upper right hand corner looks like a PCI Voodoo Banshee, like this one: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?427 […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

I see

- SB 16
- SB AWE 64
- Voodoo 1

Good eyes..! Wouldnt have recognized this one, maybe after reading the text "Maxi Gamer Phoenix". Thanks for notification!!!

Reply 26486 of 52786, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's more interesting stuff in there.

- Something with a lot of SGRAM in the upper left hand, covered by the rear of the SB16. Not totally sure, but it looks like a Matrox Mystique 220.
- Triangular OEM (HP or PB) Aztech 2320-based ISA sound card, SBPro2.0 hardware compatible with real OPL3, almost no noise and none of the Creative bugs.

Not so confident about the newer AGP cards, but good chance of a GF3 in there too I'd say.

Reply 26487 of 52786, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AGP card on the far right lower corner is a Ti200 I think.

The card on the upper right, the PCI VGA, is certainly a card that I would have liked to have, it seems to be a 96-98 era PCI card and those are always interesting to me..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26488 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
There's more interesting stuff in there. […]
Show full quote

There's more interesting stuff in there.

- Something with a lot of SGRAM in the upper left hand, covered by the rear of the SB16. Not totally sure, but it looks like a Matrox Mystique 220.
- Triangular OEM (HP or PB) Aztech 2320-based ISA sound card, SBPro2.0 hardware compatible with real OPL3, almost no noise and none of the Creative bugs.

Not so confident about the newer AGP cards, but good chance of a GF3 in there too I'd say.

I agree, the one is a Matrox card. Probably a Mystique. As for the Aztech 2320, I thought I remember reading complaints about getting these set up or something... can't remember. And I don't think they have a real OPL3, but people here have said the FM sounds pretty good anyway.

The card at the upper left that looks sort of like a GF3 is probably a later FX or Quadro variant of some sort, since it has BGA memory.

appiah4 wrote:

The card on the upper right, the PCI VGA, is certainly a card that I would have liked to have, it seems to be a 96-98 era PCI card and those are always interesting to me..

Definitely a Ti 200. I have one just like it.

And the PCI card is a Banshee. Probably a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix. I always found the "Phoenix" name to be kind of ironic, given how unbearably hot Banshee cards get with their undersized heatsinks. I've seen some of those Ensoniq branded Banshee cards that had turned brown (even the heatsink was golden brown) due to heat damage over time.

Reply 26489 of 52786, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I agree, the one is a Matrox card. Probably a Mystique. As for the Aztech 2320, I thought I remember reading complaints about getting these set up or something... can't remember. And I don't think they have a real OPL3, but people here have said the FM sounds pretty good anyway.

The 2320 is an ISA PnP card, with all the headache ISA PnP gives you - but that's no different to the SB Vibra under the pile in the middle. I'd only recommend it with a board with good PnP implementation. The AZT2320 contains a legitimate licensed OPL3 implementation (it should even show a tiny OPL logo on the chip).
ISA-Soundkarte-Aztech-AZT2320-OPL--ID18773-18773_3.JPG
What can differ is the filters, most Aztechs are pretty 'raw' which you may or may not like.

The card at the upper left that looks sort of like a GF3 is probably a later FX or Quadro variant of some sort, since it has BGA memory.

appiah4 wrote:

Isn't that the Banshee?

In any event, I see an S3 Trio or Virge PCI card on the bottom under the AWE64 and Zotac, and something else with a lot of DRAM chips below that - probably also a similar S3 card. This is a nice pile for various things 😉

Reply 26490 of 52786, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this a few months ago but haven't had the opportunity to test it until now. Z-Nix "Super Mouse II" complete in box - the box is not in the best shape and has lots of sunfade, but the mouse itself looks unused and brand new. I wonder if the floppies still work.

8eInr0Vl.jpg?1

74agcMGl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 26492 of 52786, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested the Asrock Conroe865PE just now, gave me a scare at first as it was not outputting any signal on screen, but noticed it has an FSB1 jumper near the AGP slot, with settings for normal and test, and it was on test, which according to the manual is for experimental 1066fsb support. Returned it to normal and it worked, phew. Booted into bios with E5800 cpu installed. Tried to install winXP real quick for a game test but it fails to boot from my usb stick, and I dont feel like dealing with CDs at the moment. Anyways, board works, Im happy with that for now.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 26493 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

I see

- SB 16
- SB AWE 64
- Voodoo 1

Oh, and the big card with the black and gold heatsinks at the top of the pic is an Asus HD3850... sadly it is probably PCI-E, not AGP. 😉

Reply 26494 of 52786, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this an AT keyboard worth buying? Seems to be a well built modelwith key prints on the sides of the caps and whatnot, possibly mechanical?..

AT Keyboard 1.png
Filename
AT Keyboard 1.png
File size
393.89 KiB
Views
File license
AT Keyboard 2.png
Filename
AT Keyboard 2.png
File size
412.29 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 26495 of 52786, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ALL AT KEYBOARDS ARE WORTH SOMETHING.

Hell, i'd buy a keyboard from a thrift store with actual feces on it if it was cheap.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26496 of 52786, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All keyboards...?

There are definitely things out there I would buy in almost any state of filth (Model F or Model M...), but equally really low-end rubber dome monstrosities I would not touch NIB for free - which actually includes chicklet-style keyboards we're getting at work these days.

Don't immediately recognize this one - it could be a nice mechanical board, but those Windows keys make it look suspiciously new for that. If not it might still have usable keycaps. Or it could be a nasty spongey membrane thing. No pics with model #?

Reply 26497 of 52786, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

All keyboards...?

There are definitely things out there I would buy in almost any state of filth (Model F or Model M...), but equally really low-end rubber dome monstrosities I would not touch NIB for free - which actually includes chicklet-style keyboards we're getting at work these days.

Don't immediately recognize this one - it could be a nice mechanical board, but those Windows keys make it look suspiciously new for that. If not it might still have usable keycaps. Or it could be a nasty spongey membrane thing. No pics with model #?

None unfortunately, but it looks like something from an OEM PC or at least one of the better builds rather than a generic cheapo AT membrane keyboard..