VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31420 of 52819, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh it's one of those RADIUS pivot cards, you'll absolutely need the special monitor (which had the particularity of being orientable in either landscape mode or portrait) that goes with it, I don't think it can display on the internal CRT of the SE/30.

And good luck to find this monitor, it's nigh unobtainium.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 31422 of 52819, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a ThinkPad A31p in excellent condition with all recovery disks for almost 200€.
The price is...crazy. I slightly regret buying it, but I've been looking for one of these for years.

If everything works 100% like described in the listing, I will be a very happy person.

(Should never have sold mine back in the day. Pentium 4M Mobile 2.6GHz are nowhere to be found anymore.)

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 31423 of 52819, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered some "retro" PCB's, 5 each for dirt cheap. (from JLCPCB) One of them is my turbo display PCB that I designed, the other 3 are an XT-IDE (rev 5.3), Nano 8088 (rev 1.1), and ISA Super VGA (rev 1.1). I already have an Adlib replica to build, so I should have some pretty cool stuff soon.

ASoyPYc.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 31424 of 52819, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Sony Mavica MVC-FD88 that's almost complete, minus the manual for $14.99. The camera might have the battery installed and it'll be looked at before I throw it on the charger in case there's any corrosion, a new one will be purchased and the terminals on the camera will be cleaned off before powering it on.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31425 of 52819, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry about the battery. I own an FD91, which is even older than the FD88 and it still has its original battery. It's Li-ion already and despite its age, it still charges and works for >1 hour.

Reply 31426 of 52819, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

Received a bunch of pcmcia cards and a scsi scanner with a bulb problem...

newpcmciacards.jpg

AFAIR this Cisco wifi card has even drivers for DOS. Is this correct?
I also have the Orinoco card that works in Win98. But unfortunately it does not support modern security standards, and I could not get connected to my wifi router.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 31427 of 52819, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got some CD/DVD Roms. Nothing tested and needs to be cleaned. Only one of them comes near the year of my collection interest (below 2000), but I took all of them anyway, since it was a cheap deal.

Attachments

• IMG_8768.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8768.JPG
    File size
    498.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31429 of 52819, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi to all,

Today I got some spare time and I went to the local flea market, just to look around, and I found some interesting stuff:

geforce2_mx400_pci.jpg
Filename
geforce2_mx400_pci.jpg
File size
516.73 KiB
Views
File license

A PNY Geforce2 MX400 PCI 64 Mb SDR PCI. I need to replace a capacitor nearby the GPU, otherwise it looks ok.

radeon_9200SE_128mb_pci.jpg
Filename
radeon_9200SE_128mb_pci.jpg
File size
552.43 KiB
Views
File license

A second PCI video card, a PowerColor Radeon 9200SE R92P-C3S with 128 Mb. This one has two broken capacitors nearby the GPU, also one is missing from the upper left corner. From the back of the card it's also missing a small SMD cap, the one with C120 marking from the upper side.
I hope I can repair at least one of them, I really need a PCI video card like these, I have a Compaq DeskPro EN and a Dell Optiplex GX200 without AGP... Anyway, I paid a little more than 4 Euros for both of the cards.

hercules_3d_prophet_ii_mx_agp.jpg
Filename
hercules_3d_prophet_ii_mx_agp.jpg
File size
656.59 KiB
Views
File license

Hercules 3D Prophet II MX 64 Mb. I only bought this card, because it came bundled with the one below...

roland_scb-7.jpg
Filename
roland_scb-7.jpg
File size
492.48 KiB
Views
File license

Roland SCB-7. This was a really nice surprise! For this two cards I paid a little more than 2 Euros! Now I need to find a good sound card to pair it with this board. For now, I have just a Creative CT2900, a few ESS and Yamaha sound cards... Any suggestions?

So, I've had a really fruitful day! I spent like 9 Euros for all of these cards(+ 2 more coolers for skt370/sktA), now I hope to have some spare time these days to test the Roland board and repair the two PCI graphics cards...

Reply 31430 of 52819, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bearking wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

roland_scb-7.jpg

Roland SCB-7. This was a really nice surprise! For this two cards I paid a little more than 2 Euros! Now I need to find a good sound card to pair it with this board. For now, I have just a Creative CT2900, a few ESS and Yamaha sound cards... Any suggestions?

So, I've had a really fruitful day! I spent like 9 Euros for all of these cards(+ 2 more coolers for skt370/sktA), now I hope to have some spare time these days to test the Roland board and repair the two PCI graphics cards...

Wow!!! Good catch.

As for the sound card pairing, that depends on what you want to do with it and exactly which ESS and Yamaha cards you have. The CT2900 has every MIDI bug out there. so not a good idea regardless.

If you have an old ESS 688 with real (or clone) OPL3, that would be lovely for an old non-PnP DOS box, whereas if you have a Yamaha Audician it would be a good pairing for late DOS or Win9x.

Reply 31432 of 52819, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Profex "PC 33" (sellers pictures). Not loooking nice, but for the price I couldnt resist although I am out of space and didnt want to buy any more complete systems...
It has a Suntac 286 board in it. With battery damage, but working. An EGA card and a MFM controller with cables.
Case will go into the dishwasher and I will see...

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
137.14 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
365.3 KiB
Views
File license

This is how it should look like..:
http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/Atari% … 0.02-DURiAN.pdf

profex.jpg
Filename
profex.jpg
File size
378.64 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31433 of 52819, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

As for the sound card pairing, that depends on what you want to do with it and exactly which ESS and Yamaha cards you have. The CT2900 has every MIDI bug out there. so not a good idea regardless.

If you have an old ESS 688 with real (or clone) OPL3, that would be lovely for an old non-PnP DOS box, whereas if you have a Yamaha Audician it would be a good pairing for late DOS or Win9x.

So, I have two Yamaha ISA cards, both with YMF719E-S soundchip. One has no manufacturer marking, just SM718 Rev 2.00; the other one is a Genius/Labway A151-A00. These are not full height cards and I can't connect the Roland card directly to the wavetable header.

As for the ESS cards, I have a BTC 1853L with ES1868F, but with the same situation as the Yamaha cards.
Luckily I have one more ESS card, I think it's an Edison Gold-16 Rev 3.2B with ES688FC chip. So I will use the Roland SCB-7 an this soundcard on a nice Am386DX-40 based system...

Thanks for the tip!

Reply 31434 of 52819, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
ragefury32 wrote:
wirerogue wrote:

should my adaptec card have a battery? i can't seem to locate any headers for it on the card and no mention in manual.

The Dallas Real Time Clock chip on the card - that's the battery. It's supposed to hold your RAID cache in case you have a catastrophic loss of power, but in the PERC5s and 6s having the battery go ga-ga on you typically triggers alerts or (worse) errors - in modern SSD equipped machines those pesky batteries are replaced by supercaps. It's one of the first things you check for when you get a secondhand RAID card...is the battery good? Is the onboard RAM modules good? That practice wa beaten into my head when I was a data center youngun', and what I beat into the heads of the guys that I manage - saw way too many issues from the past to let the issue breeze by.

Dude, I think you are confused. First, you are attaching my name with a quote from Vogons user wirerogue who actually asked that question. Also, if you go back and look at the post, the RAID card we are talking about (AAA-133U2) does not have a Dallas on it. Most of us here know what a Dallas is and its function.

OH. Ah. I got an error message when replying to the thread - there was a limit of 5 nested quotes on the reply.

Yeah, I just looked at the card again - the Dallas chip on board is an EEPROM (probably for storing config data), so yeah, not an RTC/battery. That being said, there is a 4 pin power connector towards the top (near the 2 internal SCSI ports) that is supposed to be connected to a battery.

Reply 31435 of 52819, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😵 Bought a SiS 6326 8MB PCI with S-Video out because I needed a decent 1996/97 PCI card with TV-Out for capturing DOS. It cost me $8 so it wasn't cheap considering how useless it is for anything else.

I'm not sure how good a card for DOS it is, but considering my second option is an ATI Rage Pro All-In-Wonder this is probably a lot less hassle. And I don't have the S-Video breakout cable for it (but I am in the process of building one..)

We'll see how it does, I guess..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31436 of 52819, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have fun with the project.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31437 of 52819, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

😵 Bought a SiS 6326 8MB PCI with S-Video out because I needed a decent 1996/97 PCI card with TV-Out for capturing DOS. It cost me $8 so it wasn't cheap considering how useless it is for anything else.

I'm not sure how good a card for DOS it is, but considering my second option is an ATI Rage Pro All-In-Wonder this is probably a lot less hassle. And I don't have the S-Video breakout cable for it (but I am in the process of building one..)

There were also some GeForce 2MX PCI cards with S-Video out, but I guess they are not period correct.

Reply 31438 of 52819, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Profex "PC 33" (sellers pictures). Not loooking nice, but for the price I couldnt resist although I am out of space and didnt want to buy any more complete systems...
It has a Suntac 286 board in it. With battery damage, but working. An EGA card and a MFM controller with cables.
Case will go into the dishwasher and I will see...

I was watching that one as well, really like the monolithic case, the corroded board put me off though I already have too many of these to repair 🤣, glad to see there was some other nice stuff in it too 😀

Reply 31439 of 52819, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

If that fails one slightly unexpected tip: Trident 9685.

Obviously no great performer, but it had the most trouble-free TV-out I've come across - set the jumper and regardless of resolution set in software, it output it cleanly to S-Video and composite. I used it to feed a 3" B/W CRT from a 1970s vintage Philips video camera I mounted in three 5.25" bays to show some stats but mainly show off a parody of the LCD-screens everyone was using at the time (early 00's) 😉