Topic actions

Reply 5240 of 52912, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

As of today, the winter has been here for a week already.

No more! I grew up in snow country. That pic brings back what I fled.

I've got plenty of those. Give all your retro hardware to me or I'll show every one of them 🤣 Jokes aside, what country is that? 😀

Reply 5241 of 52912, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Canada. I grew up in the section with snow and bugs. Finally had the sense to move to the warm wet coast. Thirty years away and that photo brings it all back. Every awful morning digging out then trying to start the car, waiting on the train platform... oh man.

Reply 5242 of 52912, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Canada. I grew up in the section with snow and bugs. Finally had the sense to move to the warm wet coast. Thirty years away and that photo brings it all back. Every awful morning digging out then trying to start the car, waiting on the train platform... oh man.

It's not that bad! We have a garage and the car has Webasto installed, so starting an engine at -35 or even -40°C is not problem. Okay, it takes some digging from time to time and the locks tend to freeze and need to be warmed up with some burning paper, but generally it's OK. I only wish the roads were less dangerous and the fuel consumption was less...

Reply 5243 of 52912, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to a fellow VOGONS-ER. 😀

These babies shined up like a brand new penny after a little work on em..

Roland CM-500 (Boxed) (1992)
V0teo5.jpg
SL34eB.jpg
uvyRWA.jpg

Roland SC-55 ST (1996)
WLwnGE.jpg
aTijA4.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5245 of 52912, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recognize that boxed Roland CM500 from Yahoo Auctions in Japan, so I'm 99% sure from you who got it from. I'm getting worried the line between seller and collector/enthusiast is getting more and more blurred

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5246 of 52912, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Going tomorrow to pick up an IBM 5151 monitor. Finally!!!!!!!!

Wow.

This thing is in IMMACULATE condition.

Nice find, take care of it! Maybe replace the B+ caps just in case. I got a bright green flash from mine just two days ago, and now I have a very narrow screen. The brightness also won't turn up as far as it used to, can't even see the raster anymore. 🙁

Reply 5248 of 52912, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

I'm getting worried the line between seller and collector/enthusiast is getting more and more blurred

Don't have to worry about me there Vetz! I haven't sold a thing yet so I definitely fill the 'collector' (hoarder?) role. 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5249 of 52912, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

What's the best use for Ti200? Tualatin rig? I also have Ti4200, is it in every way superior to Ti200?

The G3 might enable you to use earlier drivers than needed for the GF4 which might have advantages for older games. And the G3 should use less energy / produce less heat.

Reply 5252 of 52912, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I recognize that boxed Roland CM500 from Yahoo Auctions in Japan, so I'm 99% sure from you who got it from. I'm getting worried the line between seller and collector/enthusiast is getting more and more blurred

As a collector/enthusiast I must say that I agree and disagree with you at the same time. Let's be honest, most of us buy things to use and not to put them on a shelf for years. Although, it often happens to me when I can't find a particular part to finish my build. I think that eventually any collector will sell at least some of his/her collection. Also, sometimes we buy something and think that we will use it, but we never do or get a chance to do so. Another example is when you don't have a specific part to complete your build. Although I mostly collect items that I'm going to use later on in my future builds and I prefer not to keep something that I will never use. What is really sad and many collectors don't realize is that when they die their relatives will often sell their whole collection for pennies and this is one of the reasons why I try to keep only important items especially when you never know when it's your time to say bye-bye. Then again, may be I am not a collector and just an enthusiast just like 99% of people on this forum. Anyway, sometimes people have reasons to sell. Just a few examples:
1. If a person needs money right away. Let's say to save a loved one's life. ( This is when you actually realize that it's just inanimate objects and they lose value to you )
2. If a person acquires a new/better item and decides to sell an old one. ( For example: an item in brand new condition vs an item in very good condition )
3. If a person has duplicates and decides to sell them in order to get some of his/her money back and get a bit of extra space.
4. If a person runs out of space and decides to sell an unnecessary part of his/her collection.
5. If a specific item is no longer needed because a better one is available. ( I guess you can't really say it about a collector )
6. Wife aggro 😀 but I think it should be OK as long as you spend enough time with your wife.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2014-10-26, 14:42. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 5253 of 52912, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, you can also get people who fix things up and sell them on to fund their collecting habits, I don't see anything wrong with that, myself (but then, I wouldn't, since that kinda describes me!)

Reply 5254 of 52912, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought some more Thinkpads for my already large hoard of laptops.

Two Thinkpad Transnote for $5 each but missing stylus and hard drive (huge gripe considering how rare the stylus is)
Thinkpad x220 with i7 but as usual missing hard drive, ram, and battery for $20

Might have to tinker with the LVD cable given the flicker at start.

For those that never seen a Transnote here is a video of one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJ9PkDBW0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9Ww2N4IQ8

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5256 of 52912, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100_8301_zpsb3bd72a5.jpg

picked this up from another forum. just an interesting machine and as far as I know the only non IBM machine to use MCGA. I was mostly interested in it because of the 8 bit IDE controller card though that may end up seeing a new home.

Reply 5258 of 52912, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pewpewpew wrote:

Brace yourself. It's going to be a crazy winter this year, colder than last year. I'm going to buy a new snow blower tomorrow.