Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17420 of 52889, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Grabbed these three items from an online seller for $20: Socket 370 ASKA New-old stock motherboard with ISA slots (Audigy2/SB16 98SE/2000 dual-boot Pentium III project a-go!), BlackMagic (?) 12MB Voodoo 2, and a mystery ISA card I asked him to remove and send from a banged up old PC that I think/hope is a Creative SB16 of some sort.

For $10 more I could have gotten a noname Slot 1 mainboard, a slotket card and a Coppermine 700MHz CPU but to be honest, I have no need of them so I passed.

Photos are seller's photos. I'll post better ones once the lot arrives.

I'm of the opinion you should always take what's offered if it's a good value. Extra parts are always good for when you need to throw together a system to sell or give to a friend.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17421 of 52889, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:

I'm of the opinion you should always take what's offered if it's a good value. Extra parts are always good for when you need to throw together a system to sell or give to a friend.

You're right I suppose. The only thing worse than buyer's remorse is.. I don't know what it's called but walking away from a deal only to decide you needed it later on. So I grabbed these two for $10 more.

2017-06-18-PHOTO-00000191.jpg
Filename
File size
133.06 KiB
Views
File comment
Slotket and Pentium III 700MHz Coppermine CPU
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2017-06-18-PHOTO-00000193.jpg
Filename
File size
148.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Noname (?) 440LX (?) Slot 1 Motherboard
File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17422 of 52889, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
You're right I suppose. The only thing worse than buyer's remorse is.. I don't know what it's called but walking away from a de […]
Show full quote
xplus93 wrote:

You're right I suppose. The only thing worse than buyer's remorse is.. I don't know what it's called but walking away from a deal only to decide you needed it later on. So I grabbed these two for $10 more.

That's kinda funny. I just got a noname board myself with ITE chips as well. Socket A though.

Reply 17423 of 52889, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently visiting family out of state. Prior to coming out, my brother and I made an agreement to buy his MT-32 from him. It's the old version (no headphone jack). Came with the power supply and a MIDIMAN interface card. No cables, though. I'll have to hunt those down. Everything is as-is, so i'll have to test and possibly repair the unit (though it looks in like-new condition so I doubt it).

My jaw dropped when I was looking through his stuff and found a V5 5500, V2 SLI (Creative Labs version), and a couple of 3dfx tuner cards. I had no idea 3dfx made tuner cards and know nothing about them or even if they are valuable. First,I expressed interest in the V2 SLI (I'm only interested in hardware that can be used in DOS). So he decided to throw the V2's in no extra charge. I then told him he could probably get a couple of hundred bucks for the V5 if he sold it. He looked at me and said "if you want to try to sell it, you can keep half of what you get for it". So, I am now in the process of shipping all this stuff to myself since I have no room for it in my luggage. I'll have to test the V5 first to make sure it works, then figure out how I might want to go about selling it and the tuner cards.

If anyone knows anything about these tuner cards, please share. Are they even worth anything?
edit: determined these are a VoodooTV 200 and Voodoo3 3500 TV. Pretty happy about the 3500 TV, as with an adapter, it can be used as an overclocked Voodoo3 3000. 😎

v5-v2.jpg
Filename
v5-v2.jpg
File size
593.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo5 5500 & Creative Labs Voodoo2 SLI
File license
3dfxtuner1.jpg
Filename
3dfxtuner1.jpg
File size
929.86 KiB
Views
File comment
VoodooTV 200
File license
3dfxtuner2.jpg
Filename
3dfxtuner2.jpg
File size
533.5 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo3 3500 TV
File license
Last edited by clueless1 on 2017-06-20, 14:13. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 17425 of 52889, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

You made a good deal... As apparently V2 12MB SLI's go in the same price range as 5500.

Yeah, I will probably end up sending him some more money after I verify they work. He doesn't seem motivated enough to go through the effort of selling them himself, so I think he was just glad to get anything for them without having to put in any effort. 🤣

Reply 17426 of 52889, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
Currently visiting family out of state. Prior to coming out, my brother and I made an agreement to buy his MT-32 from him. It' […]
Show full quote

Currently visiting family out of state. Prior to coming out, my brother and I made an agreement to buy his MT-32 from him. It's the old version (no headphone jack). Came with the power supply and a MIDIMAN interface card. No cables, though. I'll have to hunt those down. Everything is as-is, so i'll have to test and possibly repair the unit (though it looks in like-new condition so I doubt it).

My jaw dropped when I was looking through his stuff and found a V5 5500, V2 SLI (Creative Labs version), and a couple of 3dfx tuner cards. I had no idea 3dfx made tuner cards and know nothing about them or even if they are valuable. First,I expressed interest in the V2 SLI (I'm only interested in hardware that can be used in DOS). So he decided to throw the V2's in no extra charge. I then told him he could probably get a couple of hundred bucks for the V5 if he sold it. He looked at me and said "if you want to try to sell it, you can keep half of what you get for it". So, I am now in the process of shipping all this stuff to myself since I have no room for it in my luggage. I'll have to test the V5 first to make sure it works, then figure out how I might want to go about selling it and the tuner cards.

If anyone knows anything about these tuner cards, please share. Are they even worth anything?

v5-v2.jpg
3dfxtuner1.jpg
3dfxtuner2.jpg

The bottom one is a V3 3500 TV, you need a really absurd cable to connect it to the monitor.

Reply 17427 of 52889, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today new teeny tiny arrived for the price of free (well, I had to pay shipping 😁 ).
P_20170619_102940_zpsbrmgfzp8.jpg
I love those small boards (don't know the size term, it is too big for micro ITX and too small for baby ATX), this one is partially devoured by the evil battery corrosion. I neutralised the blue stuff with vinegar, it bubbled nicely and then some light scrubbing got the mess out.
P_20170619_120418_zpslehsaa4n.jpg
Then I unsoldered the resistors to check them if they are bad or not. Turned out they are in tolerance so I will put them back.
By the way, the green/white corrosion makes nearly impossible to remove the old solder. That was fun. I need to buy fibreglass pen...
So, now I am in this position:
P_20170619_130113_zpsyrjsigwq.jpg
Now what I need is repair some eaten traces. So far I found only one - right under the positive battery terminal. That it pretty far going trace though. Well, I need to stock on cables.

Anyway, the biggest issue is that the board is stripped clean from all jumpers. I mean there is not a single jumper, but the room for them is huge. And second - what goes into these top empty slots? If that is for cache, then it shouldn't be a problem, it will boot without it. But if not...

Please, do somebody have manual for this board? The only thing I found written on this board is MB459 v1.2 meant for 486. Without settings I can't power it up. So if you have any idea how to set the jumpers, I will be more then happy to hear that 😀

Only other picture I found on internet on Czech "Craigslist" of some sort:
12735653-zakladni-deska-486-umc-mb-459-v-1-2--28um8498f-29-1.jpg

Reply 17428 of 52889, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Scored another Geforce 6800ultra Agp, it's a XFX and should arrive soon.

I also got a geforce2 ultra but unfortunately it isn't perfect: image is a bit dark from as soon as it posts and there is some ''banding''. It is not like the usual memory errors but i'm afraid the memory is gone. It does finish 3dmark no problem and underclocking doesn' t change anything.

It's a shame as it is one of the last Geforce's missing in my collection .

Sounds like an analog issue. Look at the components around the vga port and see if you can see any damaged components.

Thanx, that's what i thought. Now i don't have any knowledge when it comes to these components but i checked a couple of times and nothing seems damaged or missing.
Analog is all it has so trying dvi is not an option.
I cleaned the card and took out my heatgun, hoping for a bad connection somewhere....didn't change anything.

Any suggestions what to replace on a card with these issues?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17429 of 52889, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Thanx, that's what i thought. Now i don't have any knowledge when it comes to these components but i checked a couple of times a […]
Show full quote
xplus93 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Scored another Geforce 6800ultra Agp, it's a XFX and should arrive soon.

I also got a geforce2 ultra but unfortunately it isn't perfect: image is a bit dark from as soon as it posts and there is some ''banding''. It is not like the usual memory errors but i'm afraid the memory is gone. It does finish 3dmark no problem and underclocking doesn' t change anything.

It's a shame as it is one of the last Geforce's missing in my collection .

Sounds like an analog issue. Look at the components around the vga port and see if you can see any damaged components.

Thanx, that's what i thought. Now i don't have any knowledge when it comes to these components but i checked a couple of times and nothing seems damaged or missing.
Analog is all it has so trying dvi is not an option.
I cleaned the card and took out my heatgun, hoping for a bad connection somewhere....didn't change anything.

Any suggestions what to replace on a card with these issues?

I know it's been said many times, but honestly it sounds exactly like a capacitor issue. The problem is it would be small surface mount caps and they are hard to replace not to mention hard to tell which ones are damaged.

Reply 17430 of 52889, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:

The bottom one is a V3 3500 TV, you need a really absurd cable to connect it to the monitor.

There's also this
Might be worth checking it out.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17431 of 52889, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

There's also this

That actually helps me out too. I really don't want to use that stupid blue thing that comes with the card.

Reply 17432 of 52889, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Currently visiting family out of state. Prior to coming out, my brother and I made an agreement to buy his MT-32 from him. It' […]
Show full quote

v5-v2.jpg
3dfxtuner1.jpg
3dfxtuner2.jpg

How can you not have space in your luggage for retro gear? You don't need the clothes...

Reply 17433 of 52889, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skalabala wrote:

How can you not have space in your luggage for retro gear? You don't need the clothes...

🤣 If it was just me, you know it would happen, but I'd get outvoted by my wife and son. It was easier to spend the $30 to ship it back to my house. It should arrive the same day we do. 😎

Tetrium wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

There's also this

Thanks! I wasn't even sure that was a standalone graphics card when I took it. Now that I know it can be used as an overclocked V3 3000, that's pretty cool as long as I can find the right P&G adapter. The other one (with the silver tent looking thing covering one of the chips) I'm certain has no display output capabilities on its own.

Reply 17434 of 52889, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jaton 9500GT PCI (VIDEO-498PCI-DLP)
A couple DVI to VGA adapters
Some DMS-59 to Dual VGA breakout cables
I traded a 10 year old 500gb harddrive that had been sitting in my closet for 2 years to a friend for a compaq SR2032X Desktop

Reply 17435 of 52889, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another 6800GT card in very good condition. This one from ASUS and theoretically can work with AGP 3.3 after some modification (pic 2). Not to mention that VRM area is identical to Ultra cards. Perhaps even packed with 1.6ns memory.

ASSUS 6800GT.jpg
Filename
ASSUS 6800GT.jpg
File size
957.21 KiB
Views
File license
ASUS 6800GT 2.jpg
Filename
ASUS 6800GT 2.jpg
File size
888.03 KiB
Views
File license

Also it's shiny 🤣
asus-6800ge-light2-small.jpg

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17436 of 52889, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it will work in 3,3V slots - that has already been tested and confirmed.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 17437 of 52889, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found another old laptop at a flea market -- this time for the whopping price of 10 SEK (so that's about $1.15 American) 😊

ast1.jpg
Filename
ast1.jpg
File size
108.37 KiB
Views
File license
ast2.jpg
Filename
ast2.jpg
File size
150.36 KiB
Views
File license

This is a fully functional AST PowerExec 4/33SL ColorPlus. For my hard earned dollar-and-change, I got the computer -- in great condition -- with the original charger, detachable trackball and a random PS/2 mouse that isn't AST branded.

As the name suggests it has an Intel 486 SL/33 processor. It's also got 8 MB of RAM (stock was 4 MB, it was upgraded at some point with 4 MB in crazy expensive proprietary modules) and a 200 MB hard drive. 640x480 active matrix TFT display (hot stuff for 1993!), 512K Western Digital VGA. Built-in 3.5" floppy drive. Two PCMCIA slots. Detachable trackball. MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1. A real hot-shot business machine. In 1993/94 this would have cost upwards of $5000 with the 4 MB RAM upgrade... And that's in 1993 dollars.

The machine has some cool features such as being able to enter BIOS Setup at any point (even when running Windows) by pressing Fn-F2. Never seen that before. A very uncool feature is AltGr being accessed as Fn-Alt... I guess now I'm on the lookout for PCMCIA network and sound cards -- I know the latter are almost impossible to find, but it would be really fun to have one!

Reply 17438 of 52889, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

Found another old laptop at a flea market -- this time for the whopping price of 10 SEK (so that's about $1.15 American) 😊

Woo active matrix! You could always make your own Covox with a DAC via parallel. Or, even better, if you have an Adlib:

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/adlib/adlib_en.php 🤣

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17439 of 52889, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Noname (?) 440LX (?) Slot 1 Motherboard

I think that's a 440BX based board, only found this one ofter a little searching: https://sprzedajemy.pl/plyta-glowna-agp-set-f … 10c9-nr17586082

The board has the PIIX4E (FW82371EB) southbridge, 440LX were paired whith PIIX4 southbridge.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel