VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello all!

I was going to write a looong post yesterday, but as I was still looking on the net and finding new info I delayed.

Looong story short, when in my attic, I found 2 Voodoo3 3500 AGP graphics cards in my pile of recently acquired stuff.
By chance, I noticed both of them do NOT have standard VGA connectors, but have what looks a lot like a wider version of DVI.
After a lot of looking around, I found out these cards originally came with special cables and that their connector goes by several names:
DVI 30+5
M1 (which I think is different, but the connector looks identical)
P&D, PnD or VESA Plug and Display (has a wiki page)
EVC

I also know these connectors are wired differently, so much for somehow using a standard DVI connector somehow.

So as things are now I have a couple options:
*Either I go find the original cable, which I rather not do, as I don't like the huge size of it, and good chance price will be high
*Or I find an adapter. I've found 'some' for sale, but most tend to be rather expensive (think €20+) and I'd rather not get 3 for that price.
I have found a couple that were cheaper, but before I buy anything, the real question is, will they work?

Proprietary hardware...3DFX, as much as I love you, for this you gotta die! 😜

Edit:Btw, I know I don't happen to have any of the original cables laying around. Also even though I can't even remember exactly where I got them, I do know I must've gotten them for really cheap anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was *REALLY* common with TV tuner video cards back then. I have a couple ATI All-In-Wonder cards with custom cables, as well as a Voodoo3 TV like yours.

Reply 2 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I got my 3500 out a few weeks back thinking it would be simple to swap it with a 5500 to compare performance. That adapter took me by surprise when I came to connect up, but luckily I had the blue octopus thing in the box 🤣.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

Yeah, I got my 3500 out a few weeks back thinking it would be simple to swap it with a 5500 to compare performance. That adapter took me by surprise when I came to connect up, but luckily I had the blue octopus thing in the box 🤣.

This is good, at least someone here could check the pinout on that thing, which essentially is a PnD to VGA adapter 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could use a volt meter with a needle for that, at least that's what I was thinking.
Personally I rather have the simple adapter as I find the Voodoo solution very cumbersome.

Would need only 3 such adapters as I proly won't use more then 3 Voodoo3 3500 rigs at the same time 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So does anyone know if any of the non-3DFX cables work on the Voodoo 3 TV?

I see a lot of those cables for sale with USB. Can anyone comfirm that that particular cable will work with Voodoo 3 TV? The original cable is impossible to find for a reasonable price.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update:I finally got 2 of those p&d adapters and they work! Unfortunately one of my V3 3500's still won't display anything even though it gives the one single beep. Theres probably something else wrong with the connector.

But anyway, standard p&d adapters will work for V3 3500's 😉

Edit:Note, you'll need a P&D connector that supports analog throughput, the ones that support digital throughput only will not work!

Report spammers here!