Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15100 of 52803, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Got a 486 VLB motherboard+CPU+VLB video card bundle. Pretty standard for 486-land, but what attracted my attention was the item description which was very detailed, including repairs that had been done to the board after damage from a leaking battery, extensive tests done to the board after the repair, modifications done to the BIOS, corrections to the jumper table inscribed on it because the stenciled one was wrong etc. Seemed like the work of on enthusiast (perhaps someone on this site? 😀) so I just couldn't pass it. And the price was right.

Stamasd, the past few auctions you've mentioned in this thread are also ones that I was watching on eBay. We seem to share interests in retro hardware!

Reply 15102 of 52803, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

The corsair supplies are very good. You eont have any issues with them.

I seen 100's of dead corsair supplies on ebay.

Some are good and some are not.

Reply 15103 of 52803, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@kanecvr
awesome Chieftec case mate, I really like it... it's model is UNI or MESH os something like that AFAIR... Chieftec used the same metal chassis in many full tower cases and they only changed the front faccia depending on the design. I wanted to get this one ~10 years ago for my main pc but I had to settle for the CHIEFTEC GIGA GX-01B-OP model that was in stock back then and I still use on my main pc - the insides changed many times but the case remained the same 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15104 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Personally, I have only fond memories with that bus.
Don't recall all those reports people make of the VL-Bus as being an awefull bus. Guess it comes down to people being too used on having PCI or people only focusing on fastest speed possible.

Most problems back in the day pertained to people trying to use three VLB cards at once or running the system at 50 MHz bus speed. Quite a few of the lesser boards didn't like that. On some motherboards it was also possible to plug in more ISA and VLB cards than there were resources available for them to use.

True that. Those systems have their limits. I still think it is wrong, to flat out just say that VL-Bus are a dreaded bus.
Most of the times, it is said by those that are making an article or video about old obsolete technology.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15105 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Got a 2000's chieftec server case and a corsair value 650W PSU for my LGA775 XP rig:

Nice case. It looks like a sweet one with lots of potentials.
How thick are the plates in it?

Reply 15106 of 52803, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Most problems back in the day pertained to people trying to use three VLB cards at once or running the system at 50 MHz bus speed. Quite a few of the lesser boards didn't like that. On some motherboards it was also possible to plug in more ISA and VLB cards than there were resources available for them to use.

True that. Those systems have their limits. I still think it is wrong, to flat out just say that VL-Bus are a dreaded bus.
Most of the times, it is said by those that are making an article or video about old obsolete technology.

...who never actually tinkered with it back in the day and seem to expect that because nowadays everything is pretty much plug-and-play, that back then it also worked like that but with just a little bit more manual work. Even on this forum it's pretty easy to figure out who actually did something more than just regular office work with 486 to early Pentium era hardware back in the day, or who only used Windows 95 and later as a kid or normal user, or who heard "of those old systems" and now wants to try one.

Reply 15107 of 52803, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:

Cool case - I like professional-line server case, this beauty will last forever

I'm sure it will, It's build like a tank.

keropi wrote:

@kanecvr
awesome Chieftec case mate, I really like it... it's model is UNI or MESH os something like that AFAIR... Chieftec used the same metal chassis in many full tower cases and they only changed the front faccia depending on the design. I wanted to get this one ~10 years ago for my main pc but I had to settle for the CHIEFTEC GIGA GX-01B-OP model that was in stock back then and I still use on my main pc - the insides changed many times but the case remained the same 🤣

Thanks! I've been looking to get one of these for a while now - I also like it's stilling, and the metal bits are of excellent quality. The plastic is "meh" - above average I'd say. Back in the day, these were "the" high-quality case to get for your expensive build, even tough it wasn't a server or workstation 😀

brostenen wrote:

Nice case. It looks like a sweet one with lots of potentials.
How thick are the plates in it?

Believe it or not, it's about 1.5-2mm thick and it weighs a ton!

Aideka wrote:

The PSU is pretty much absolutely fine, as long as the caps are in working order, AFAIK it uses CapXon caps, so they might blow, but if you pull under 500 watts from it I would not worry.

luckybob wrote:

I sure hope you guys are right, but time will tell 😀 For now it seems to be working fine.

Jade Falcon wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I seen 100's of dead corsair supplies on ebay.

Some are good and some are not.

Same with any manufacturers unfortunately. What has me worried is that this PSU belongs to their "value series". I know vs ram is good, hoping this PSU is decent.

QcDsYmBl.jpg

Reply 15108 of 52803, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USPS strikes again! Last time they shipped what should have been a simple in-state package out of the state in the wrong direction twice if you remember.

This time they shipped a piece of hardware I bought from Florida to Connecticut via Puerto Rico:

December 9, 2016 , 1:44 pm
Departed USPS Facility
SAN JUAN, PR 00936
Your item departed our USPS facility in SAN JUAN, PR 00936 on December 9, 2016 at 1:44 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

December 8, 2016 , 8:35 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
SAN JUAN, PR 00936

December 8, 2016 , 5:22 am
Departed USPS Facility
CATANO, PR 00962

December 7, 2016 , 10:03 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
CATANO, PR 00962

December 6, 2016 , 9:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099

December 6, 2016 , 2:07 pm
Acceptance
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32246

At least they didn't route it through Hawaii, or Guam. Although there's still time for that to happen.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15109 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy f*ck. That's a sweet case. 😳 (me want one too)

Reply 15110 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

...who never actually tinkered with it back in the day and seem to expect that because nowadays everything is pretty much plug-and-play, that back then it also worked like that but with just a little bit more manual work. Even on this forum it's pretty easy to figure out who actually did something more than just regular office work with 486 to early Pentium era hardware back in the day, or who only used Windows 95 and later as a kid or normal user, or who heard "of those old systems" and now wants to try one.

Hmmm.... Yeah. I guess that I am somewere in between these two segments. I have used computers since 1984'ish, pc from 1987'ish-something. Bought my first computer with VLB in 1995, though I first started tinkering with hardware from around 1998/99.

I think a lot of those that are looking down on VLB, have only read about it, using all the bad stories as the source for knowledge.
And come to think about it. Those articles and videoes are all made by young persons in their early 20's. 🤣
When they say: "Shut up old man, you don't know the pain of being young", I reply with: "Then you should try to set up MS-Dos-6.22".

(Stupid emo's, trying to be a cutter using a plastic knife, and complaining about you'r dad making 3+ million dollars a year)

Reply 15111 of 52803, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Got a 486 VLB motherboard+CPU+VLB video card bundle. Pretty standard for 486-land, but what attracted my attention was the item description which was very detailed, including repairs that had been done to the board after damage from a leaking battery, extensive tests done to the board after the repair, modifications done to the BIOS, corrections to the jumper table inscribed on it because the stenciled one was wrong etc. Seemed like the work of on enthusiast (perhaps someone on this site? 😀) so I just couldn't pass it. And the price was right.

Stamasd, the past few auctions you've mentioned in this thread are also ones that I was watching on eBay. We seem to share interests in retro hardware!

Hmm... and we're both on Vogons... think it's more than a coincidence? 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15112 of 52803, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought this board for $25. Never seen a socket 3 board with a COAST slot. I suspect it might be PCChips? Either way, I now have 4 486 PCI motherboards (2x PCI/VLB combo, and 2x PCI/ISA). 😁

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 15113 of 52803, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kanecvr wrote:

Same with any manufacturers unfortunately. What has me worried is that this PSU belongs to their "value series". I know vs ram is good, hoping this PSU is decent

There are a few manufacturers that only make top end stuff.
But yeah I get you. However I can tell you one thing. I never see one off there psu's take a system with it.

Reply 15114 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And you have solder pads for fake cache too 🤣

Reply 15115 of 52803, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:
Just bought this board for $25. Never seen a socket 3 board with a COAST slot. I suspect it might be PCChips? Either way, I now […]
Show full quote

Just bought this board for $25. Never seen a socket 3 board with a COAST slot. I suspect it might be PCChips? Either way, I now have 4 486 PCI motherboards (2x PCI/VLB combo, and 2x PCI/ISA). 😁

s-l1600.jpg

Yup, that's a PCChips or an Amptron or something. Wall art.

Reply 15116 of 52803, by toddfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all! It's my first post here. I've lurked quite a bit, and now finally have a couple projects going so I wanted to start contributing and sharing.

I found a new in box Chieftec Dragon on craigslist this week! It still had the original packaging slip on the box dated January 2005.

I'm planning on building a Fall 2006 era Windows XP system in this case. I'm gonna to try to get a AMD Quad FX system running with the FX-74 processors and, I believe, two GeForce 7950 GX2s. It's still just in the planning stages, but I do have the ASUS motherboard on the way and I was lucky enough to find this NIB case, so, so far so good!

Here's a little unboxing for you:

AhGeDyZl.jpg

DiTFxdwl.jpg

6vbl9W3l.jpg

WUNgkC7l.jpg

DLzGzGel.jpg

1wlPFgjl.jpg

0wwGSbxl.jpg

Reply 15117 of 52803, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hah - I had that exact case badged as an Antec. Looked completely the same except no side window. Are they the same company?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 15118 of 52803, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few arrivals!

A pair of 1ghz Coppermine CPU's and Antec Orb HSF to go on my Abit VP6

20161210_094925.jpg

Asus CUSL2-M with a Celeron CPU. Already have this board but was £5 delivered and will be a spare.

20161210_094951.jpg

Finally a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT 4390.. well because its a AWE64 Gold 🤣.

20161210_095016.jpg

Reply 15119 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Hah - I had that exact case badged as an Antec. Looked completely the same except no side window. Are they the same company?

I've used (and hated) this same case in the past. Originally it -IS- an antec case and antec design. Cheiftec was a "knock off" company trying to emulate and copy antec's design.