VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17001 of 52866, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

finally got that Olivetti 286 EGA setup, what I wanted from the set was the color EGA monitor 🤣

fuEnRI5m.jpg VwKqgPBm.jpg q9va81Rm.jpg

61ovFemm.jpg nPUZIMYm.jpg wI1vR7rm.jpg

I had to replace a single filtering capacitor on the PSU (X2 one) but other than that it's great. The monitor is a Hyundai HCM-1420 with great build quality and nippon-chemicon eletrolytic caps - these I won't touch 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17002 of 52866, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received the S3 TrioV2/DX. Seems to be a really fast and compatible card! I got the card plus manuals and driver disc. The card's condition was immaculate.

IMG_20170515_163351.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170515_163351.jpg
File size
699.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20170515_163448.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170515_163448.jpg
File size
408.64 KiB
Views
File license

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 17003 of 52866, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got my boxed SW20-PC and my Yamahas soundcards family is one step closer to be complete.
Was DB51 and DB60 boxed? I Know that DB51 was a part of some external midi modules like Korg but DB60 was a stand-alone card in box?

I know that DB50 has a Nec clone. Did DB60 had Nec clone too?

Attachments

• Batyra_yamaha_collection.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_yamaha_collection.jpg
    File size
    362.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Yamaha SW20-PC, DB50GX, SW60XG, SW1000XG
    File license
  • Batyra_YamahaSW20-PC.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_YamahaSW20-PC.jpg
    File size
    259.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Yamaha SW20-PC
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17004 of 52866, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DB50XG - had no NEC clone, was packaged in at least 2 different boxes (the one you have and another one, more "horizontal")
DB51XG - had no NEC clone, haven't been spotted boxed in the wild, was used in Korg NX5R modules as a built-in option
DB60XG - had NEC XR385 clone used in Japanese PC-98 systems, neither one have been spotted boxed, the original (Yamaha-branded) is used on the Audiotrix Mediatrix 3D-XG card.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 17005 of 52866, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice stuff!!!!
I wonder, how much a boxed SW20-PC goes for nowdays?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17006 of 52866, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

DB50XG - had no NEC clone, was packaged in at least 2 different boxes (the one you have and another one, more "horizontal")
DB51XG - had no NEC clone, haven't been spotted boxed in the wild, was used in Korg NX5R modules as a built-in option
DB60XG - had NEC XR385 clone used in Japanese PC-98 systems, neither one have been spotted boxed, the original (Yamaha-branded) is used on the Audiotrix Mediatrix 3D-XG card.

Thanks for info... have to slowly start looking now for sw60 or its clone then.

keropi wrote:

nice stuff!!!!
I wonder, how much a boxed SW20-PC goes for nowdays?

I allready had SW20 now a box, manual etc are gift from a friend.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17007 of 52866, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Just got my boxed SW20-PC and my Yamahas soundcards family is one step closer to be complete.
Was DB51 and DB60 boxed? I Know that DB51 was a part of some external midi modules like Korg but DB60 was a stand-alone card in box?

I know that DB50 has a Nec clone. Did DB60 had Nec clone too?

Very nice find!

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 17009 of 52866, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snagged this Hercules Prophet II Ultra (GF2 Ultra) on eBay for cheap, as it was mislabeled. Unfortunately, the fan barely spins (I unplugged it, trying to find a Hercules replacement seems really hard). I had a 60mm fan blowing on it, but it still needs to be heavily underclocked for 3D to work.

yIcMpOY.jpg

Reply 17010 of 52866, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unscrew the fan, tear the sticker on the back and then you should be in front to the fan's axis. Add just a little bit of oil or grease to make it work again. Then put back the sticker and re screw it and if you're lucky, the fan should work again

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17011 of 52866, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
dexvx wrote:
Snagged this Hercules Prophet II Ultra (GF2 Ultra) on eBay for cheap, as it was mislabeled. Unfortunately, the fan barely spins […]
Show full quote

Snagged this Hercules Prophet II Ultra (GF2 Ultra) on eBay for cheap, as it was mislabeled. Unfortunately, the fan barely spins (I unplugged it, trying to find a Hercules replacement seems really hard). I had a 60mm fan blowing on it, but it still needs to be heavily underclocked for 3D to work.

yIcMpOY.jpg

Aliexpress has replacement fans cheap or otherwise ebay for a original. Don't throw the old one you likely need to change the connector as those are minI 2 pins.

Reply 17012 of 52866, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality.

yBK7fo6l.jpg

Inside: An Abit VP6 with two Pentium III 1GHZ CPU's

b4yqSLkl.jpg

Some cards. Jaton 3DForce B-32Plus (lovely name 😉) AGP (I guess it's an TNT2 M64). 3Com NIC. Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 (Crystal CA4624 chip).

d18vlS0l.jpg?1

There is also a Kenwood TrueX 72x CD-ROm drive. I haven't tested it, but that probably doesn't work anymore.

The board would not post with a video card in the AGP or top PCI slot, upon further inspection I found:
S5bEz4jl.jpg

So I've got some work to do if I want to use this board 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 17013 of 52866, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

finally got that Olivetti 286 EGA setup

Nice!

Do you have analog controls on the side or at the back maybe? Looks like there's still room to increase the picture size 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17014 of 52866, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality. […]
Show full quote

I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality.

yBK7fo6l.jpg

b4yqSLkl.jpg

Some cards. Jaton 3DForce B-32Plus (lovely name 😉) AGP (I guess it's an TNT2 M64). 3Com NIC. Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 (Crystal CA4624 chip).

d18vlS0l.jpg?1

There is also a Kenwood TrueX 72x CD-ROm drive. I haven't tested it, but that probably doesn't work anymore.

The board would not post with a video card in the AGP or top PCI slot, upon further inspection I found:
S5bEz4jl.jpg

Nice! Now i finally know what board is inside 😎

I asked the seller if he could check the brand/type of the motherboard but he never answered, i wondered if it would be a tualatin capable board..

Still a nice setup and hopefully you can fix it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17015 of 52866, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:
keropi wrote:

finally got that Olivetti 286 EGA setup

Nice!

Do you have analog controls on the side or at the back maybe? Looks like there's still room to increase the picture size 😀

yes, there are analog size/centering controls at the back of the monitor 😊 , didn't mess with them yet

Reply 17016 of 52866, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

I've always wanted one of those 72x or higher Kenwood drives. 😲 They're really hard to track down, yours is the first I've seen in anything past some early 2000s hardware reviews.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17017 of 52866, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cj_reha wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

I've always wanted one of those 72x or higher Kenwood drives. 😲 They're really hard to track down, yours is the first I've seen in anything past some early 2000s hardware reviews.

I had one of those Kenwood drives back in the day.. when they were new. It was an absolute horrible piece of trash.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17018 of 52866, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

Unfortunately, the fan barely spins (I unplugged it, trying to find a Hercules replacement seems really hard).

That's exactly same cooler as for any Kyro card. You can find replacement easily.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17019 of 52866, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality. […]
Show full quote

yBK7fo6l.jpg

b4yqSLkl.jpg

d18vlS0l.jpg?1

S5bEz4jl.jpg

That looks like it might have a Lite-On LTD163. That's a far better drive than the Kenwood (although a little noisier than some others).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder