VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1740 of 44867, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
I'm pretty sure G and Q are just packaging. The QP's I have seem to work the same as the GP's. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between a 5x86 GP and a 5x86 QP besides the packaging? Also, what motherboard multiplier is 4x mapped to?

I'm pretty sure G and Q are just packaging. The QP's I have seem to work the same as the GP's.

For 4x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 4x on the CPU
3x on motherboard = 3x on the CPU

For 3x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 2x on the CPU
3x on motherboard = 3x on the CPU

When can you test this baby out?

I just tested it! I put it in one of my M919's. I set the frequency jumpers down to 25mhz, though, because I didn't know what speed it would boot up at and didn't want to burn it out before I even had a chance to use it. At 25mhz frequency it reports 100mhz at bootup. The system I used doesn't have a hard drive installed, though, so I couldn't get past the initial bootup screen.

Edit: I found a diagram at stason for these boards and figured out how to put into 3x. I set it to 3x and frequency to 40mhz and it now boots at 120mhz.

So it looks like it maps 4x automatically to 2x so there is no chance at all of running 50, 60 or 66mhz bus with these. And since they don't overclock well, it looks like 33 x 4 or 40 x 3 is as far as you can go with these.

Now to find a suitable hard drive that isn't only good for scrap metal.

Reply 1741 of 44867, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
I just tested it! I put it in one of my M919's. I set the frequency jumpers down to 25mhz, though, because I didn't know what sp […]
Show full quote

I just tested it! I put it in one of my M919's. I set the frequency jumpers down to 25mhz, though, because I didn't know what speed it would boot up at and didn't want to burn it out before I even had a chance to use it. At 25mhz frequency it reports 100mhz at bootup. The system I used doesn't have a hard drive installed, though, so I couldn't get past the initial bootup screen.

Edit: I found a diagram at stason for these boards and figured out how to put into 3x. I set it to 3x and frequency to 40mhz and it now boots at 120mhz.

So it looks like it maps 4x automatically to 2x so there is no chance at all of running 50, 60 or 66mhz bus with these. And since they don't overclock well, it looks like 33 x 4 or 40 x 3 is as far as you can go with these.

Now to find a suitable hard drive that isn't only good for scrap metal.

We are pretty much hijacking this thread. I have replied to your Cyrix 5x86 questions on a more appropriate thread,
Re: Cyrix 5x86 Register Enhancements Revealed

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 1742 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got this Radeon 9700pro ages ago, but haven't tested it yet. I wanted to see if it works in my Super Socket machine, and it does 😀

The image quality is amazing. I use DVD into a 19" Samsung LCD and compared to the Geforce FX I used before, the pixels in the games are a lot clearer. The S-Video output quality is also very good.

radeon9700profront.th.jpg
radeon9700proback.th.jpg
radeon9700proinss7machi.th.jpg
radeon9700proinss7machi.th.jpg
dosradeon9700pro.th.jpg
dos2radeon9700pro.th.jpg
dos3radeon9700pro.th.jpg
pixels3radeon9700pro.th.jpg
pixels4radeon9700pro.th.jpg
pixels5radeon9700pro.th.jpg

This is what the image quality looks like on the Geforce FX:

pixels2geforcefx.th.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1744 of 44867, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not so much a bit of retro tech by itself, but I picked up a wall mount for my Multisync CRT monitor.

pOVpll.jpg

It's a super handy diagnostic device, and now it's not eating up bench space! 😁

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1745 of 44867, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to do that so bad with my monitors... but every time I find a wall mount whoever owns in wants a freaking arm or a leg for it. I want to know why people think these things are worth their weight in gold pressed latinum...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1746 of 44867, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know where you are, but I got this at Bunnings (a chain hardware store) for $33 AUD.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1747 of 44867, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I want to do that so bad with my monitors... but every time I find a wall mount whoever owns in wants a freaking arm or a leg for it. I want to know why people think these things are worth their weight in gold pressed latinum...

Because CRT's are more or less out of production at this point except in specialized applications and so are the accessories that are used with them, things like wall mounts, dust covers, etc.

Reply 1748 of 44867, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, here in the US at least, CRT wall mounts weren't really that common to begin with. I never really saw too many of 'em outside of schools and hospitals and such. And there aren't a lot on the secondhand market because they're mostly either still attached to a wall somewhere, or weren't considered to be worth the trouble of salvaging since hardly anyone wants 'em.

I do, however, run across the desk-mount arms semi frequently, in thrift stores and flea markets and such. Maybe you'd have better luck looking for one of those, and then rigging up some way to stick it to a wall?

Reply 1749 of 44867, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought from DonutKing:

PC 5150 with PC keyboard.
0XN74l.jpg
7NITCl.jpg

It had a combination Multi I/O and RTC card, but the battery has leaked, so it needs a little TLC.
NoPHTl.jpg

The system contained an IBM XT motherboard when I received it, with the PC motherboard packaged separately. There were a couple of issues here which I'll cover in the next RetroSwim ep. The current configuration is a PC 5150 motherboard with 256KB RAM, monochrome adaptor, floppy controller, Adaptec MFM HDD controller, and 30MB Seagate 5.25" HDD.

There'a also an awesome amber monochrome monitor, but the picture isn't displaying right, so it needs some investigation.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1750 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. The last X-Fi to have XP support!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1571/img0192gqy.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1751 of 44867, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a second Radeon 9100 PCI. Also picked up 2 SiS Xabre 200 cards, one with 32mb and the other with 64mb. A 44 pin 1gb flash drive also found it's way to my door. Also grabbed a fresh batch of MS-DOS 6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11 floppies and a copy of Windows NT 4. I mention the software here instead of the other thread because the other thread is specifically for games.

Reply 1752 of 44867, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. The last X-Fi to have XP support!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1571/img0192gqy.jpg

Cool! What's a good price for one of these bad boys would you say? A quick look on eBay tells me that they ain't exactly cheap.

I paid way too much for an Asus Xonar D2X a while back, I don't know what got into me! I just had a bee in my bonnet for some reason and creative cards just weren't available in the stores in my immediate vicinity. Anyway the Asus fine I guess, but I do like creative, so would like to pick one of these up one day.

Reply 1753 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Cool! What's a good price for one of these bad boys would you say? A quick look on eBay tells me that they ain't exactly cheap.

I think I paid 70 bucks. Not a bargain, but it's PCIe and therefore still quite new.

What I'm finding is that the old Sound Blaster live are dirt cheap. They usually sell for a few bucks. Audigy can be had for around 20 - 40, depending on what they come with. The Audigy 2 ZS with the media bay and all of that can go for more.

Anything with X-Fi in the name (apart from the AVOID Xtreme Audio cards) still hold there value. So IMO too early to look for bargains. I often put in a min. bid, just in case, but so far haven't gotten a single card that way, apart from the live 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1754 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scored some EXCELLENT deals lately..

Roland MT-32 (Old) for $50!😲

dscf0039q.jpg
dscf0040ko.jpg
dscf0041mm.jpg
dscf0028ft.jpg
dscf0034ze.jpg
dscf0042lz.jpg

Finally picked up a Gateway 2000 P5-75 that I've been hunting for literally years. It was the first PC I bought for myself back in '95 and a massive upgrade to our family's 386!

dscf0054h.jpg
dscf0056d.jpg
dscf0061k.jpg
dscf0062fy.jpg
dscf0068u.jpg

... and last but certainly not least.. a boxed 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 for $15 😲 !! Now I just need to get the PCI version....

dscf0015tc.jpg
dscf0017az.jpg
dscf0021nt.jpg
dscf0024zo.jpg

Stay tuned... A *boxed* Roland CM-32L, a Roland SC-55, and some vintage NVIDIA cards are on the way next week!

😁

Reply 1757 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice!!

Your 3+ hour guide enticed me to pick up these Roland modules. I'm hooked now! Despite having old desktops around, it's nice to simply hook these up with DosBox. Much less hassle. 😀

Reply 1758 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice!!

Your 3+ hour guide enticed me to pick up these Roland modules. I'm hooked now! Despite having old desktops around, it's nice to simply hook these up with DosBox. Much less hassle. 😀

Thanks 😀

That Gateway 2000 looks lovely. Such a beautiful machine...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1759 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Artex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice!!

Your 3+ hour guide enticed me to pick up these Roland modules. I'm hooked now! Despite having old desktops around, it's nice to simply hook these up with DosBox. Much less hassle. 😀

Thanks 😀

That Gateway 2000 looks lovely. Such a beautiful machine...

Beautiful indeed, but HEAVY! 😀