VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1760 of 44867, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have and had multiple gateway 2000s and I can say, they are beasts with weight and performance

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1761 of 44867, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Artex, this isn't the first time you post pictures of hardware,but they are gems as always. I don't know where you're getting it all from, but keep it up 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1762 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Artex, this isn't the first time you post pictures of hardware,but they are gems as always. I don't know where you're getting it all from, but keep it up 😀

Thanks!! LOTS of searching. 😀

Reply 1763 of 44867, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
vetz wrote:

Artex, this isn't the first time you post pictures of hardware,but they are gems as always. I don't know where you're getting it all from, but keep it up 😀

Thanks!! LOTS of searching. 😀

Wow I love that gateway. Do you have the missing 5.25" panel for the front of the case? It's such a pain to fill those when they're missing.

Reply 1764 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:
Artex wrote:
vetz wrote:

Artex, this isn't the first time you post pictures of hardware,but they are gems as always. I don't know where you're getting it all from, but keep it up 😀

Thanks!! LOTS of searching. 😀

Wow I love that gateway. Do you have the missing 5.25" panel for the front of the case? It's such a pain to fill those when they're missing.

Unfortunately not. 🙁 This is the ONLY piece that's missing and everything else is pristine inside.. although it does have a Dallas RTC. 😜 I will probably throw a tape drive in there, as that's what I had back then. Although I prolly won't use it, at least it will fill the void.

Reply 1765 of 44867, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought myself 10 (no typo 🤣 ) 2.5in to 3.5in harddrive adapters. These will go with the 14 20GB laptop drives I bought about a year ago.
Also bought 14 3.5in harddrives ranging from 20GB to 160GB, both SATA and IDE for a good price.
I got enough harddrives now to last me a lifetime 🤣

Edit:2 of the harddrives are for a friend of mine though

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1766 of 44867, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Borderline "retro" hardware, but this will be a collectible in the future:

DSC_0070.jpg

I got a very nice deal on it and while also being a rare CPU it is also a nice upgrade for my main LGA775 rig, which is starting to scream for some upgrades after 5 years of usage 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1767 of 44867, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
vetz wrote:

Borderline "retro" hardware, but this will be a collectible in the future:

-snip-

I got a very nice deal on it and while also being a rare CPU it is also a nice upgrade for my main LGA775 rig, which is starting to scream for some upgrades after 5 years of usage 😉

Hot damn! How much did you pay for it? I've been looking for upgrades for my rig as well, and the higher-end quad-core CPU's, like the Q9xx0 chips, usually seem to go for ~$100.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 1768 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thos 775 quads still hold there value!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1769 of 44867, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got the Extreme cpu for 600 NOK, which is 108 dollars. It is a bit pricey compared to what kind of performance you get compared to buying a new Core I5, but if I can postpone a full system upgrade 1 or 2 year by doing this I think it's well spent money. Also it's cool to have a Core 2 Quad Extreme CPU installed and pushing LGA 775 to the limit (like we do with our 440BX systems) 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1770 of 44867, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Thos 775 quads still hold there value!

Definitively! It's impossible to get one for cheap. And I always keep an eye out for one (or 2 😜 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1771 of 44867, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the QX9650 is a bit too power inefficient. You'd be much better off with a Q9650. Still, like you said, this will be a collectible item in the future 😁.
I've been using a Q9450 as an upgrade to my C2D 6550 for a few months now and I'm loving it. I've overclocked it to 3.5GHz using a 1750MHz FSB and I'm very very satisfied with it. At this frequency my CPU should be consuming about as much power as a QX9650. It is quite a snappy machine now, although it needs a beast of CPU cooler, I'm using a Mugen 2!

Reply 1772 of 44867, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Wound up with two old desktops yesterday... An HP Vectra minitower with an 815 chipset, Tualeron running at 1.1ghz, 40gb Seagate hd (runs super quiet) and 512 MB ram which I plan to set up for one of the kids (while the other gets the Dell they've been sharing) and a Gateway "Performance" tower with a 500mhz Katmai, 20gb Quantum Fireball (super noisy, plan to replace it with a spare WD I have), SB Live, 128mb ram and a TNT Vanta (have a GeForce 6200 I plan to replace it with) and it has a 440BX chipset. The Gateway will be a pet project for me to play with.

Reply 1773 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really retro, but to do with my retro man cave. A 4 way KVM switch with all the cables:

img0235ic.jpg

Haven't used it yet, but will comment on quality of the unit, cables and signal.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1774 of 44867, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't used it yet, but will comment on quality of the unit, cables and signal.

Got a couple of those floating around at work. They're OK. Video starts to look a bit blurry at 1280x1024, but it's fine for lower resolutions. My main complaint with 'em is the PS/2 port-powered design... they get power from port #1, and apparently only from port #1, so if you shutdown/reboot the PC connected to the first port, it'll drop the connections to all the other attached machines too, and since PS/2 isn't hotswap, you'll end up having to reboot all the other machines in order to get the kb/mouse working again.

Reply 1776 of 44867, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok folks... As promised... got some more goodies this week! 😁

**BOXED** 😳 Roland CM-32L!!
dscf0107kl.jpg
dscf0112uw.jpg
dscf0121zd.jpg
dscf0122e.jpg
dscf0123s.jpg
dscf0128r.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA 128 - STB Velocity 4MB AGP
dscf0080f.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA 128 - Diamond Viper V330 4MB AGP
dscf0084gq.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA TNT - ELSA ERAZOR II 16MB PCI
dscf0071pz.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA TNT - Diamond Viper V550 16MB AGP
dscf0078l.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra - Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32
dscf0076ql.jpg

Roland SC-55
dscf0090l.jpg
dscf0100o.jpg

Reply 1777 of 44867, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

Ok folks... As promised... got some more goodies this week! 😁

Nice haul 😀

Once you have Roland you won't look back 😁

F2bnp wrote:

What's the price on one of these things? I'm thinking about getting one eventually, I'm getting mighty tired of the plug/unplug process.

There are HEAPS of these on eBay (new - buy now), but most don't come with cables. Make sure you get a set with cables! This came from an Australian seller and it was ~ $40 with postage.

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Got a couple of those floating around at work. They're OK. Video starts to look a bit blurry at 1280x1024, but it's fine for lower resolutions. My main complaint with 'em is the PS/2 port-powered design... they get power from port #1, and apparently only from port #1, so if you shutdown/reboot the PC connected to the first port, it'll drop the connections to all the other attached machines too, and since PS/2 isn't hotswap, you'll end up having to reboot all the other machines in order to get the kb/mouse working again.

Thanks for the pointers. I played a bit more and these are my observations so far:

- The switch is on (light, beeps when pushing the button, LED cycles between inputs) with all machines turned off. Must be like PS/2 mice glowing even when the computer is off. It does have a power connector, but doesn't come with a power brick and I didn't need one.

- Image IQ is great. Although I have only tested DOS. At the moment it goes into the switch, then into a active signal spliter and then into a 19" LCD.

- Booting up a machine, while being switched to another, mouse driver loads fine and when switching back to that machine the mouse works

- Unit beeps when switching and LED shows you what port is active. It also has keyboard shortcuts, activated by pressing SCROLL LOCK twice and various other keys.

- Cables seem of very good quality. Quite thick and sturdy.

So, so far I'm very happy and it will help me in, my never ending quest, to have a clean man cave 😀

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2013-01-10, 21:43. Edited 1 time in total.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1779 of 44867, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

What's the price on one of these things? I'm thinking about getting one eventually, I'm getting mighty tired of the plug/unplug process.

There are HEAPS of these on eBay (new - buy now), but most don't come with cables. Make sure you get a set with cables! This came from an Australian seller and it was ~ $40 with postage.

I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190428196814?ssPageNa … 984.m1497.l2649

Only needed 2 ports. Haven't received it yet though

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes