VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1961 of 52808, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's actually a Simpson's reference. Homer goes back to the house he grew up in, the TV was called 'radiation king' and he spent so much time sitting in front of it that his silhouette was permanently burnt into the wall behind him.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1962 of 52808, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

It's actually a Simpson's reference. Homer goes back to the house he grew up in, the TV was called 'radiation king' and he spent so much time sitting in front of it that his silhouette was permanently burnt into the wall behind him.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Radiation_King_(company)

does the simpsons pre-date 1997? I forget its been running so long.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1963 of 52808, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

to get back on topic...

I just won this auction for a pretty damn cheap price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … 8#ht_500wt_1414

I've been told the 805 is a very good chipset for VLB video. Confirm/deny?

Reply 1964 of 52808, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

so it has nothing to do with fallout, right? Because thats what I saw.

Sure it does, that's where I got the name from. Didn't know that was a Simpsons reference though 😀

BTW I just discovered the F930 has some bad sync problems at 1024x768:
img2202xi.jpg

800x600 at 160Hz is fine though, and with almost invisible scan lines 😀
img2190x.jpg

Reply 1965 of 52808, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Certainly does, that particular episode first aired in 1994 according to wiki (episode 113, S06E10). I'd say that company in Fallout is a reference to the Simpsons as well (Fallout 1 and 2 especially were chock-full of pop culture references)

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1966 of 52808, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
to get back on topic... […]
Show full quote

to get back on topic...

I just won this auction for a pretty damn cheap price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … 8#ht_500wt_1414

I've been told the 805 is a very good chipset for VLB video. Confirm/deny?

I have one of those and seem to remember good vesa support. You can't really go wrong for that price though.

Reply 1967 of 52808, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Certainly does, that particular episode first aired in 1994 according to wiki (episode 113, S06E10). I'd say that company in Fallout is a reference to the Simpsons as well (Fallout 1 and 2 especially were chock-full of pop culture references)

*nods*

The Simpsons has been around since 1989. 1987 if you count the Tracey Ullman shorts.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1968 of 52808, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this adorable little TV at the dump yesterday, it'd make a nice period-accurate screen for a NES or Sega Master System.

vFRhmfCl.jpg

Needs a little love, the front trimpots (Brightness, Contrast, Colour, V-Hold) are all wonky, and the antenna socket is a bit loose. But the picture is nice and bright, and seems to be reasonably sharp too. Surprisingly for its age, the exterior is in great condition. The faux-woodgrain finish is nearly intact, and the knobs all still have their mirror finish. There's a little badge with red, green, and blue squares on it, and only the red seems to have faded.

=3

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1969 of 52808, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly hardware, but I thought it was a cool collectors item anyway:

img2211x.jpg

Now you're probably wondering what a record with fairground organ music has to do with old games... Well, this is the source of the merry-go-round music in Rollercoaster Tycoon 😀

Reply 1970 of 52808, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly retro but I just bought a Dell U2410 [thanks to bushwack's recommendation in another thread]. 😁 Superb quality, 1920x1200, and all those ports, yummy. If it turns out to be good my old games, I might ditch my 22" crt and get a second one.

Reply 1971 of 52808, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Not exactly retro but I just bought a Dell U2410 [thanks to bushwack's recommendation in another thread]. 😁 Superb quality, 1920x1200, and all those ports, yummy. If it turns out to be good my old games, I might ditch my 22" crt and get a second one.

I have the same panel (but made by acer). it is GLORIOUS. Sadly mine is almost 5 years old now and if I turn it off, it doesnt turn back on.

Reply 1972 of 52808, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2 days ago: SEGA day; a Master System II, a Megadrive 2 and 2 Game Gears; the consoles work, the handhelds need recapping. Several MS games (Sonic 1 and 2, Shadow of the Beast and Taz-mania) and Super Mario World for SNES.
yesterday: a PSone, minor cosmetic issues, problems reading games; audio CD's work ok, though. Never opened, the guarantee seal was still intact (not anymore 😉 ).

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1973 of 52808, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm waiting for this spanish Model M keyboard to arrive, I've got it for around $15. It seems in great shape, but the downside is that the previous owner lost its cable. Would it be too difficult to make one myself?

HLIL1xl.jpg

Reply 1974 of 52808, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the downside is that the previous owner lost its cable. Would it be too difficult to make one myself?

Difficult, no, but quite impractical, if for no other reason than the SDL connectors used at the keyboard side are quite tough to find... even if you did turn one up somewhere, it would probably cost about as much as a complete pre-made cable.

Reply 1975 of 52808, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

the downside is that the previous owner lost its cable. Would it be too difficult to make one myself?

Difficult, no, but quite impractical, if for no other reason than the SDL connectors used at the keyboard side are quite tough to find... even if you did turn one up somewhere, it would probably cost about as much as a complete pre-made cable.

I'll see if I can get a cable, but it will probably cost me more than the keyboard itself! Or maybe I will research into removing the sdl connector and soldering a cable or a female ps/2 connector directly.

Reply 1976 of 52808, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

check this out, might be of use:

Replacing a Model M's cable (Part No. 82G2383) - any tips?

I still use this keyboard daily and it's never missed a beat.

Reply 1977 of 52808, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmofo wrote:

check this out, might be of use:

Replacing a Model M's cable (Part No. 82G2383) - any tips?

I still use this keyboard daily and it's never missed a beat.

Thank you, I've already seen it today while I was doing some research on the forum. I hope the insides in mine are similar, we'll see when I get it.

Reply 1979 of 52808, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just nabbed a Gravis Ultrasound PnP v1.0

Photo from ebay listing.

ultrasoundpnp.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z