VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 35500 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more of the pictures caused they wouldn't all fit. From what I can tell it might be a 486 under the heatsink. The XC87SLC-33 appears to be a maths coprocessor for a Cyrix or Texas Instruments 486 i think from the info i can find online. It said something about a hybrid 386/486 but i got lost at that point

edited for more info instead of making another post

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    Filename
    ram.jpg
    File size
    512.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    the crazy ram that confuses me
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • video card.jpg
    Filename
    video card.jpg
    File size
    467.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    video card but im not sure what it is
    File license
  • psu.jpg
    Filename
    psu.jpg
    File size
    521.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    cant figure out this psu
    File license
  • overall side view.jpg
    Filename
    overall side view.jpg
    File size
    674.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    from the side
    File license
  • more chips.jpg
    Filename
    more chips.jpg
    File size
    660.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    i think these might be important
    File license

Reply 35501 of 52969, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that hybrid system looks like one I had in the past, it has a 486slc/66mhz from IBM (IIRC) and it's pretty fast
just make sure it has the max of 64kb cache installed as it will give a huge boost to the system
it's a nice weird mobo, lucky!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 35502 of 52969, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 16:29:

Thanks Imi! I love those cards you have. I have 1 creative voodoo2 that I always keep an eye out for a match to sli 🤣. And I took pictures of that unkown pc for you all to check out 😀 I think I got decent pics. I saw nothing with AMD or intel on it. Only 1 chip has a heatsink and I am scared to remove it. Anyway, without further ado, the pictures! Oh and the little screen at the bottom still has the plastic cover!!!😁

The chip with the heatsink on will be a 386 variant. You can see the 387 (XC87SLC) right next to it.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 35503 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-18, 16:58:
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 16:29:

Thanks Imi! I love those cards you have. I have 1 creative voodoo2 that I always keep an eye out for a match to sli 🤣. And I took pictures of that unkown pc for you all to check out 😀 I think I got decent pics. I saw nothing with AMD or intel on it. Only 1 chip has a heatsink and I am scared to remove it. Anyway, without further ado, the pictures! Oh and the little screen at the bottom still has the plastic cover!!!😁

The chip with the heatsink on will be a 386. You can see the 387 (XC87SLC) right next to it.

thank you. I was looking that up this morning and thats what I was thinking, glad people with more knowledge than me helped out. I am still learning about the 386 processors and I lucked out and got 2 386 systems!! So much to learn now tho

Reply 35505 of 52969, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 16:30:

more of the pictures caused they wouldn't all fit. From what I can tell it might be a 486 under the heatsink. The XC87SLC-33 appears to be a maths coprocessor for a Cyrix or Texas Instruments 486 i think from the info i can find online. It said something about a hybrid 386/486 but i got lost at that point

that's an Alaris Leopard, you are one lucky bastard 😁 that is a magnificent board.
the CPU itself sits under the heatsink yes, and should be a 486slc2 66Mhz, and it includes the elusive co-processor too.

just make sure to get rid of the nasty battery ASAP

Reply 35506 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-08-18, 17:07:
that's an Alaris Leopard, you are one lucky bastard :D that is a magnificent board. the CPU itself sits under the heatsink yes, […]
Show full quote
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 16:30:

that's an Alaris Leopard, you are one lucky bastard 😁 that is a magnificent board.
the CPU itself sits under the heatsink yes, and should be a 486slc2 66Mhz, and it includes the elusive co-processor too.

just make sure to get rid of the nasty battery ASAP

Thank you so much!! I will have to look up that board and see what I can learn about it. And I will research how to remove the battery and put in a CR2032 if i can. Oh and I opened the tall 386 case and I will post the photos soon. It has old paperwork in it, both computers were sold by the same company on 23 july 1990!!

Reply 35507 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The psu is similar to the one in the small pc just larger and It has a card with a speaker built onto it. It also has some old paperwork in it.

Attachments

• info written in side.jpg
    Filename
    info written in side.jpg
    File size
    232.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • battery.jpg
    Filename
    battery.jpg
    File size
    405.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • add in cards.jpg
    Filename
    add in cards.jpg
    File size
    565.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • board.jpg
    Filename
    board.jpg
    File size
    670.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 386 and empty socket.jpg
    Filename
    386 and empty socket.jpg
    File size
    727.84 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 35509 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im not sure which coprocessor goes into that socket or which memory they use, but I thought the external battery was interesting as its a new one for me too....I started pcs around athlon xp days, that was actually my first pc so I am learning all the old stuff now.

Reply 35513 of 52969, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 17:56:

im not sure which coprocessor goes into that socket or which memory they use, but I thought the external battery was interesting as its a new one for me too....I started pcs around athlon xp days, that was actually my first pc so I am learning all the old stuff now.

Any 387DX or 487DLC will pair with a 386DX

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 35514 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-18, 19:28:
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 17:56:

Any 387DX or 487DLC will pair with a 386DX

does the 386dx need the 387dx ?

Reply 35515 of 52969, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, no 386 have an internal FPU. SX has a 16-bit external bus, DX has 32-bit. Unlike the 486, where DX has an internal FPU

Reply 35516 of 52969, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 18:36:
imi wrote on 2020-08-18, 18:31:

Ooh I think you are right! How did you even find that? 🙌

patience ^^
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/m386_i.htm

Reply 35517 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

debs3759 - thank you, i got confused i thought that both 386dx and 486dx had the fpu...whoops 🤣 ill have to look into getting one once I am able to test that they work

imi - I did not know about that site but now i will be able to look around too. Thank you.

and on a side note i forgot to get a picture of the box that came with them. I have 2 AT keyboards....one has a calculator built into it! and a couple PS/2 keyboards and mice. and couple of other items and 2 old LCD monitors

Reply 35518 of 52969, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 20:37:

ill have to look into getting one once I am able to test that they work

It's worth setting up an account at http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/ for when you need to buy an FPU. There is a For Sale forum there, and all manner of CPU/FPU/MCU related chips sell cheaper than places like eBay. Collectors from around the world are active there.

Reply 35519 of 52969, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-18, 20:51:
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-18, 20:37:

ill have to look into getting one once I am able to test that they work

It's worth setting up an account at http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/ for when you need to buy an FPU. There is a For Sale forum there, and all manner of CPU/FPU/MCU related chips sell cheaper than places like eBay. Collectors from around the world are active there.

👍 thank you