VOGONS

Reply 20 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

virge3D is an added bonus feature. not to be taken seriously.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 68, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

The Virge is painstakingly slow in D3D.I've got 3 of em here from the old times and they all work but I really can't stand them.Even Tomb Raider is sometimes slow with the patch applied.

This is where you are supposed to add 3dfx Voodoo 1 😀

The best retro combo of them all: Virge + V1!

Reply 22 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think my fav Virge game is probably Terminal Velocity. Virge is the only card they wrote 3D support for. It's perfectly playable.

Consider this: Virge is a more successful 3D accelerator than NVIDIA's NV1. It supports more games and cost dramatically less. 😉

Reply 23 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah... Terminal Velocity... what an awesome game that was! I somewhat remember the virge patch, need to check it again!
I remember playing Desvent virge3D, it was OK... mainly it just added filtering AFAIR 😀

Reply 24 of 68, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Terminal Velocity? I remember playing the shareware version version again and again and again..... The music and the afterburner speed sensation! One of the first games which provided extreme speed sensation.

That time, I was unable to get a full version of it. Perhaps it's time to get one to use with my classic system.

Reply 25 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a fully-boxed copy on eBay this summer! it is quite rare to get a complete box...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried running Descent 2 on a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro. At the DOS prompt, I run the D2 virge .exe, but it complains that it can't find the Virge chip, but printed on the Stealth chip, it says S3 Virge/DX.

Reply 29 of 68, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I just tried that Terminal Velocity 3D patch....

It doesn't work with a Virge DX (PCI ID S3 8A01).
It will start with "Elsa Winner 2000 AVI/3D" Virge VX (PCI ID S3 883D) but has misplaced horizontal lines on the screen. I've tried two of those cards. UniVBE 6.7 didn't help.

1+1=10

Reply 33 of 68, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if i may when running 2 cards say gfx or sound each one is fora different mode or certain programs correct? They have just stared doing this again but with on board gfx and i think it powered down the pci-e card when doing 2d stuff to save power and drop temps.

Reply 34 of 68, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would be the advantages for getting a 4mb over a 2mb unit?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 35 of 68, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prophase_j wrote:

Getting higher 2D resolutions with a wider color depth. 😎

Reply 36 of 68, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:
prophase_j wrote:

Getting higher 2D resolutions with a wider color depth. 😎

Will the 4MB make a game, say Duke Nukem 3d, run faster at 800x600 resolution, running in the same system, when compared to the 2MB variant?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 38 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 3D 2000 Pro doesn't do Virge games, and so I was considering getting the non-Pro version. I quite like the idea of playing Descent 2 in Virge mode. But then I read this -

http://www.myrkul.org/virge.html

The gist of the review appears to be poor frame rates. The reviewer is using a Pentium 1 @ 133. I wonder what would happen if this was swapped out for something faster, such as a P2 or better? Perhaps the card fairs better for less demanding, slightly older Virge ports, and would therefore be a worthwhile purchase?

Reply 39 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh trust me the Virge is the limiter here. 😀

Virge can put out pretty 3D actually, with lots of features, but it's usually too slow to really be enjoyable.