VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm booting one of my 486 systems, and I just happened to notice that my AWE32 Plug 'n Play is being set to use I9 and D0. I cannot figure out why. The Serial / Parallel card isn't using these things, and neither is the LAN. The SCSI card is at 11 or 14. The video card is set at 3.

How do I change to IRQ and DMA of the soundcard, and make it stick?

Reply 3 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, that should be easy:

1. Locate the CTPNP.CFG file used by the CTCM configuration manager. If you can't find it, it's in the directory set by this line in AUTOEXEC.BAT:
    SET CTCM=...
  2. Edit the CTPNP.CFG file to the resources you want to use for the AWE32 card, e.g.:
    [SB16]
    Port0=220
    Port1=330
    Port2=388
    Irq0=5
    Dma0=1
    DMA1=5

[AWE]
    Port0=620
    Port1=a20
    Port2=e20
    You can also disable devices you don't need (like the IDE port for example).
  3. Reboot and look at the output of CTCM. The last line should list the resources you've set in CTPNP.CFG:
    Successfully configured 4 of 4 Creative Plug and Play devices.
    BLASTER environment is set at: A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
  4. If it still doesn't select the resources you want to use, edit CTPNP.CFG again and set it to read-only.

Good luck!

Reply 5 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn... Never encountered a runtime error with CTCM before. Now there are a lot of things to check, like hardware conflicts, BIOS settings, driver versions, etc...
Maybe we can think of something if you provide more info about your system.

Reply 6 of 13, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an FIC PVT, the same one mentioned on the Red Hill guide.
It uses an Intel 486DX2. Heatsink with fan.
It has 32MB Ram, In four simms of 8.
It has a BusLogic BTC-44xC SCSI controller, located at IRQ 14, DMA 6. BIOS is at DC000H, card is at 130h, and is a VL bus controller.
Hard disk is a 1GB Quantum, CD ROM is from an apple machine.
The I/O is on a seperate card, and only one Serial port is active, at IRQ 4. I am admittingly not sure what the parallel section is using, though I beleive it is IRQ 7.
The Video card is an ATI 2MB EDO on the VL Bus. It uses IRQ 3
I do not know what IRQ the LAN is trying to use.
The CTCM program is the first thing run after the HDD driver is loaded.
There is no PS2 controller. There is no plug and play in the BIOS. This BIOS is not the last one for the board, but I do not have an avaiable 128k chip to burn the last one with.

I have tried pulling both the I/O card and the LAN card, and it will still set at 9 and 0.

The sound does work in Windows, as does the LAN. But I can't get sound to function in Jazz, becasue IRQ nine is not selectable.

I'm looking for a way to see what hardware resources are used in Windows.

EDIT:

Ok, noticed something else in that cfg file.

There is a place where I can list IRQs, BASEs, and DMAs to exclude. I put 9 and 0, respectively, on the exclude list, and wrote 5,1,5 where I needed, and it seems to have rebooted with the proper settings. I'll keep you posted. :p

Reply 7 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using the MSD.EXE (Microsoft Diagnostics) file to see if anything is occupying the IRQ5.
Have you actually run the CTCU program? Not the CTCM.
Finally, expect some problems with non-PnP Bios with a PnP Card. I guess it's time to Plug 'n' Pray! 😉

EDIT: Also, try using the Intel Configuration Manager. It came with my AWE32 CT3980 card. If you don't have it, I can upload it for you.
(I prefer CTCU/CTCM though, but you can give that program a try.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You seem to be on the right track, here are some more thoughts:
Make sure the network card and the I/O card don't use resources you want to assign to the AWE32.

What model is your network card? Maybe we can find some info on jumper settings or an utility to set the IRQ.
If your I/O card is one of those with huge jumper blocks and no documentation, this could be a tough one to configure.

Your BIOS not supporting PnP is not necessarily a bad thing, since 486 PnP BIOSes are usually buggy anyways. But in this case try playing around with the CTCU utility. It is supposed to provide information to CTCM that is otherwise provided by a PnP BIOS.

As in DOS, there is no reliable way to find out hardware resources under Windows 3.11, unless you have an utility that detects specific cards.

It is often not possible to select sound card IRQs above 7 for certain games because of a limitation of the compiler they were built with.

Reply 9 of 13, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll look at all that in a minute. After editing that CFG file, everything was fine, though I noted my NIC card didn't work. I reinstalled that, and sure enough, my blaster settings are fucked again.

Reply 10 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try rearranging the boards in the computer. Change the slots! You might get surprised, believe me 😉

I dont know the layout of that board, but usually the last PCI and the first ISA are sharing an IRQ. Dont let that happen.