VOGONS

Reply 357 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like we have a scalper ... and wow, amibay turns out the reputation it had for me was not bad enough.

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?73579-PC … ore-SID-replica

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 358 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Looks like we have a scalper ... and wow, amibay turns out the reputation it had for me was not bad enough.
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?73579-PC … ore-SID-replica

What a problem with you?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 359 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asking for 3x the price you paid on a project I started and worked on ... yeah, people profiteering off the work me, Fagear, bristlehog and Codekiller put into it was our main intention.
Especially when offering the project at virtually no money earned - yet a decent bit of expenses.

Quite disrespectful - yet your perfect right to do so.

[Z?]

Reply 360 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Asking for 3x the price you paid

You have no idea, how many I've spend on this boards. So don't try to count money in others wallet.

shock__ wrote:

Quite disrespectful - yet your perfect right to do so.

What exactly do you see disrespect, due to the fact, that I've selling a board?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 361 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just go ahead 😀 I've said what I wanted.
If you're serious about working this out (even tho I have _very_ little interest to do so - as said it's your perfect right and I have the perfect right to have my opinion on that), my PM box is open.

[Z?]

Reply 362 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
easy_john wrote:

You have no idea, how many I've spend on this boards.

I paid $52 for my assembled board + $35 for an SID chip.
That makes the sound card "worth" around $87.

[Since we're not on Amibay I can say this :] You are selling the card for 150 Euros, roughly $170, so double the cost.

Honestly I was expecting one to pop up on eBay before Amibay, but oh well, it's to be expected I guess?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 363 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not here to judge anyone, but i feel disappointed that this is going this way. In fact, i'm thinking about asking Fagear to build me another board this time equipped with a 8580 SID instead and i would be most disgrunteled if the asking price was doubled or tripled.

BTW, the reason i launched the Covox Sound Master replica thread and the Tandy ISA Sound card thread was that we can enjoy and preserve computing history. Not for my financial or anyone's financial gains. The objective is that these things are as cheap as possible so to make them as available as possible. Obviously parts cost and PCB runs it is what usually dictates the price of the cards. Assembly labour can be paid or not, depending on the assemblers views, i do not condemn that the assembler is paid for his/her work (time is money) and i also appreciate those who do it for free, thus contributing for a lesser cost price. But again, paying for work is absolutely fine and fair.

Thus i dearly thank the efforts of everyone contributing in such projects, people like: Shock__, Fagear, Codekiller, borisfox, Yvan256, James Pearce, Great Hierophant, Bryce, etc... I also thank people like Cloudschatze who emphasize the value of being more about the hobby and so much less about the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply 364 of 590, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Thus i dearly thank the efforts of everyone contributing in such projects, people like: Shock__, Fagear, Codekiller, borisfox, Yvan256, James Pearce, Great Hierophant, Bryce, etc... I also thank people like Cloudschatze who emphasize the value of being more about the hobby and so much less about the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Well said!

I'm very happy with my card. You guys have my eternal gratitude for making the card be a reality! 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 365 of 590, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Faegar especially deserves praise by not going the eBay route. He could probably have made more for the card by selling them individually there. Of course with eBay and PayPal fees, he works have had to charge more just to make the same amount he would by selling them without an auction fee.

Of course, whenever you sell something collectible or desirable in limited quantities, you are bound to attract scalpers.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 366 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, not a nice situation.
I think the best fix for this is: do another batch of PCB and go to Amibay with "official" prices.

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 367 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in contact with the amibay admin that deleted my other comment and there's an internal investigation ongoing already - maybe something positive comes around.
Even tho I'm not too hopeful to be honest.

Personal opinion: I hope the last comment is ironic - I'm already feeling bad about my approach with the ARGUS project, but consider it the best way "in between".

[Z?]

Reply 368 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's wrong with all of you?

I bought a few blank cards, soldered cards and a few SID chips.
I did not steal them, and paid directly to Fagear, at the price, that he wanted to get.
So, now I've have a half dead SID chips in trash and some boards have issues (not sure if I can restore them).
In the end, I sell some of my cards that would cover some of my expenses.

What right have you to judge me?
And for what? That I want to sell MY stuff?

PS Does anyone thought that it was impossible to get the exact amount of payment from paypal. In our country, in recent month, the difference in rates can be significant.

Reply 369 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
easy_john wrote:

And for what? That I want to sell MY stuff?

Oh you have the right to.

I simply disagree in principle / ethics that you bought cards from a collaborative/non-profit project, with the clear intent of reselling them for a profit to yourself.

Reply 370 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote:

I simply disagree in principle / ethics that you bought cards from a collaborative/non-profit project, with the clear intent of reselling them for a profit to yourself.

You wrong.
1) I'm not get a profit.
2) Do you expect, that nobody and never will sell this boards on auctions?

Reply 371 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You soldered boards of which you're not sure if you can fix them? Awesome!
Wanna buy a perfectly working replica? $400 - to counter you wanting to profit from an otherwise free project 😀

[Z?]

Reply 372 of 590, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think we should look at it in a more friendly way. Easy_john tried to sell his card for the amount he wants. If he manages, than awesome, if not than what can you do.
He shouldn't have to justify him self for that.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 373 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

I think we should look at it in a more friendly way. Easy_john tried to sell his card for the amount he wants. If he manages, than awesome, if not than what can you do.
He shouldn't have to justify him self for that.

I agree that he has the right to sell, but I disagree that it's the correct/right/acceptable thing to do.
If he manages to sell, then the buyer pays a much higher price than if he would buy from Fagear directly.

easy_john wrote:

1) I'm not get a profit.

If the SID chips you bought were DOA should not be taken into account for this discussion. Buying SIDs, especially in large quantities, is a calculated risk and you knew it.

easy_john wrote:

2) Do you expect, that nobody and never will sell this boards on auctions?

I would expect that if someone wants a SSI-2001 replica, that they ask Fagear for one directly.
Fagear profits for his work.
The buyer does not get scammed.
Everybody is happy.

Reply 374 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Wanna buy a perfectly working replica? $400 - to counter you wanting to profit from an otherwise free project :)

Nothing free in this world. You always spend time, money, or miss something else, like time for play with a children.
Even 400$ don't cover all my spends, besides, that nobody want to buy with this price.

shock__ wrote:

Thank you, you got my point.

Reply 375 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote:

I agree that he has the right to sell, but I disagree that it's the correct/right/acceptable thing to do.

I didn't get this at all. Have right, but this is unacceptable. May be lost in translation? But if you have the right, that always means that this is acceptable.

Beegle wrote:

Buying SIDs, especially in large quantities, is a calculated risk and you knew it.

I've spend my money on this boards and sids. Why do you think, that I should not "take into account"? I'm not printing a money, and get them in a hard way.

Beegle wrote:

I would expect that if someone wants a SSI-2001 replica, that they ask Fagear for one directly.

So, in other words, you want, that this boards never go to auctions, right?

Beegle wrote:

Fagear profits for his work.

Fagear name his price. Make profit or not - it's his personal decision. I can't force them to take profit.

Beegle wrote:

Everybody is happy.

Who is unhappy now?

Reply 376 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
easy_john wrote:

May be lost in translation? But if you have the right, that always means that this is acceptable.

Probably, because it's very clear to me the distinction between the two.

Example :
You buy a cake that your little sister made - for $1.
You go to the market, and sell the cake - for $15 - because it is homemade and very good.
You keep the extra $14 for yourself.

You have the right to do it. But I think it's not acceptable.