VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing a Leadtek Winfast Geforce 3 Titanium 200 video card. When I see the mobo's BIOS POST messages on the screen, I also see a message from this video card, and it reads: VGA BIOS V01.03.2002. However, when I run nvFlash, it tells me that the card's BIOS is version 03.20.00.26.00. Do these cards have two BIOSes?

Link to this card's BIOS. I used nvFlash to save a back up copy to disk. Anyone got a later version, please?
Link to nvFlash utilites. I used version 4.15 to save a back up copy of the BIOS to disk.
Link to Leadtek's final Win9x driver, version 61.21 (2004/7/28 ).
Link to the latest nVidia driver - version 81.98, which is stated to work with a GF3 Ti200 card. IMHO, an older driver is better.
Link to the nVidia legacy driver downloads, many of which may be more suitable than the latest version provided above.

Begin edit: I noticed that 3DMark 99 Max didn't work 100% correctly with the 61.21 driver mentioned above. I uninstalled it, and installed nVidia driver version 43.x. That worked. Also, 3DMark 2000 and 2001 worked fine with the 61.x driver. End edit.

I notice on the mvktech.net site, there are a lot of sub folders for nVidia. Here they are below. Are any of these utils worth checking out? Thanks a lot for any advice.

nv.jpg

The card:
PICT2187.JPG

PICT2190.JPG

Edit: just tidied up message formatting.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-07, 17:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don´t think it has 2 bioses, but I think "VGA BIOS V01.03.2002" is simply the card telling its bios version date, rather than version number. I think my GeForce 2 card does the same thing. I´m not really sure about most of that software, since I have always used ATI cards on my new computers, and just recently started trying NVidia cards on my retro hardware. Seems like they are mostly for over/under clocking the cards, if you want to overclock it, then I would suggest RivaTuner from http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/ afaik even the newest version of that works on windows 98 too.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I see, thanks. Yes, one BIOS with a date and also a BIOS version number. Re: RivaTuner, I think I need RivaTuner RC (release candidate) 15, because I think that's the last version where Win9x is supported. If anyone has a freeware copy, please let me know. Thanks!

I've got another question: When did the nVidia driver stop being called "Detonator"? At what release version did it cease to be called "Detonator", and renamed to ForceWare?

Reply 3 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, Windows 98 isn´t OFFICIALLY tested with newer versions of rivatuner, but from my experience version 2.24 works still fine. Seems that last version of Detonator drivers was v45.23 available at http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_45.23

8zszli-6.png

Reply 4 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just looked at the version number of RivaTuner that I use - it's 2.24! 😀 I've started invesigating all of that software, mentioned above.

Coolbits - registry hack which allows overclocking. Ver 1 for detonator driver, ver 2 for later versions.
Detonator RIP - fully uninstalls detonator driver
ExperTools - primary purpose: overclocking
LiteForce - bit like RivaTuner
nHancer - N/A: not for w9x, I think
Nibitor - N/A: begins with FX 5 series

That's as far as I've got so far. I'll plough through all of them, and report back...

Reply 5 of 13, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the Geforce 3 series of cards. They were perfect for the time, handling everything for over a year on full detail and just so reliable. The original vanilla GF3 was the best, although not quite as fast in raw 16bit opengl as the GF2 Ultras (but the GF2 Ultras were insanely expensive).

The Ti200's are still quite pacy, but the Ti500's are much better - almost on a par with the Ti4200.

Back then, you knew where you were at with graphics cards. The fast ones were the most expensive and had the highest numerical naming, and the mid range could play games in medium detail for quite a long time period. There was really no such thing as a low end graphics card.

It galls me that someone can now pay £50+ for, say, an ATI 5*** series like the 5650 ... and not be able to play Crysis on decent settings at a playable framerate. So really, what use is a card like that to a games player?

Thumbs up for the GF3 owners out there ( I have 4 ). 😉

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 6 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to disagree with you on that. Things are much much better nowdays. I dropped 160 euro 3 years ago for an Ati 4850 and it still runs everything on Medium Detail at worst. Things were much more expensive then and laster way less. It's nice to look back to it, but I would hate to relive it.

Reply 8 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have an AOpen branded Ti200 which I'll be benchmarking this weekend. The card looks very different to the photo in the OP though. It's a black PCB, both longer and narrower than OP's one, and it has a Thermaltake Golden Orb-like cooler on it, bearing an AOpen sticker.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 13, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those black pcb GF3 Ti 200s too. Though mine lacks a DVI connector (VGA only). Pretty powerful for a 9 yr old 64mb card. Do your test results translate also to real world performance, i.e. that 43.45 is the best driver for use on a Win98 retro gaming rig?

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a green Visiontek original GF3. I replaced the awful fan with a Pentium heatsink.
035e16117543570.jpg

I played some games with it and it is definitely nice. You can even run UTGLR with it and make Unreal and UT look better than a Voodoo5. A Radeon 8500 can handle it too I believe.

Reply 12 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Re: AOpen Ti200 - does it look like this one?. I ran some benchies for that card, using lots of different legacy nVidia drivers. The results are in that post.

The PCB looks similar, but the heatsink is very different. I'll try to remember to do a photo when I get home tonight.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

Do your test results translate also to real world performance, i.e. that 43.45 is the best driver for use on a Win98 retro gaming rig?

That's a good idea. The next time I test a GF3 card, I'll also run some game benchmarks.

swaaye wrote:

You can even run UTGLR with it and make Unreal and UT look better than a Voodoo5. A Radeon 8500 can handle it too I believe.

Thanks for the heads up on UTGRL. I must check that out.