The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 221, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-09, 00:30:
I've had the ESA-486 industrial motherboard for a few years now and don't think I've posted Speedsys for it. It uses an SoC with […]
Show full quote

I've had the ESA-486 industrial motherboard for a few years now and don't think I've posted Speedsys for it.
It uses an SoC with a Cyrix 486DX4 core.
As you can see, there is no L2 cache. It does have 128MB of onboard PC100 SDRAM.
These hard drive numbers look pretty bad, don't they? Not sure why because I have UltraDMA enabled in the BIOS.

AFAIK, enabling UDMA or DMA in BIOS usually just allows it to be used but does not explicitly enable it . For that, under DOS, you would need to load something like the third party UDMA.SYS .

Reply 221 of 221, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-09, 01:41:

AFAIK, enabling UDMA or DMA in BIOS usually just allows it to be used but does not explicitly enable it . For that, under DOS, you would need to load something like the third party UDMA.SYS .

Ah, I was thinking the BIOS would install an int13h handler would accommodate it, but I guess not.
I assume SPEEDSYS does go through the BIOS and doesn't talk to the IDE io ports directly?
The UDMA on this board is apparently quite specialized. The ZFx86 website has a patch for the 2.2.x Linux kernel that I've been able to compile and use for UDMA. A plain Linux kernel won't do it. They also have a Win95 and Win98 driver.