VOGONS

Creative AWE64 ISA sound card, quick test

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 60, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok retro games, I just looked through the AWE64 Gold ISO you uploaded. It appears to be OLDER than what's on my "super" ISO. Your ISO also appears to be authored by Creative Labs Ireland so the structure is a little odd compared to what comes out of Singapore. The Win31 and Win95 folders are unlike anything I've seen before. It's impossible to create floppies to even use the PPro patch if you needed to.

Anyway, the AWE64 install files on my "super" ISO is based off of a AWE64 "value" ISO I got from Aleksej's server. It is the newest AWE64 ISO I've seen. It has the latest apps on there and almost the latest drivers. It still has Vienna 2.1 and doesn't have TextAssist/VoiceAssist though. Like I said, not a big deal as those are available as separate installs on my ISO.

I highly recommend you keep your real AWE64 Gold disc for safe keeping and just use my "super" ISO instead. It will have the newer apps and all of the latest drivers/patches you will ever need for any 16-bit sound blaster card. Feel free to do a test install from my ISO to see if there are any program version differences from yours.

the most valuable asset I've found from your ISO is a mirror archive of Creative Europe's website from December 1996. It looks pretty complete but too bad there's no archive of the FTP. Oh well. Still very cool to see and it beats going to waybackmachine! 😁 I have never seen any other creative CD that has the website archived on it!

Reply 21 of 60, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No response from the SimmConn guy? Oh that's a pity. I bought a "back up" from him only about 4 months ago. I'm really surprised he's out of stock, if that is the case. I mean, he must have been selling them for at least 10 years by now...

I'll do a test between the gold CD-ROM installation, and your ISO file installation, to see if there are any differences in software and driver versions.

@dvwjr, is there any chance you could please reduce the size of that gigantic photo? I'm using a 1280x1024 LCD, and it means that I have to use the scroll bar to read every line of text in this post. Thanks very much.

Reply 22 of 60, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't emailed him, so I don't know 😉

oh and that pic can't be resized... it's hosted off of that yjfy.com collection website, which mean it's not his and thus he has no control over it

Reply 23 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sound like a total n00b but eh....whats a simmconn? Is that that adapter that lets you put 4 SIMM's in 1 SIMM slot??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 60, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: size of pic - how about right clicking on it, saving the photo, open it using a paint program, reduce its size, then adding it back to post.

Re: SimmConn. It's a memory upgrade module for the AWE64. It accepts a 72-pin SIMM.

Reply 25 of 60, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SimmConn
http://simmconn.tripod.com/

It lets you put in a 32 MB 72-pin EDO stick of RAM into a Creative AWE64 Gold for a total of 28 MB sound font memory.

Yes they are still available. They are only $15 and ship from California. I got some about a month ago (1 + 1 backup). They work great, even work in NT4.0! I didn't even bother to e-mail him first. I just straight away paid him with Paypal, then e-mailed him. It all happened so fast, and then they were here.

I bought the AWE64Gold new in store, around 1997. I was into optimising old hardware even back then. Anyway, the RAR of the CD I have is 174 MB, but it looks like somebody sourced one already?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 26 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Re: SimmConn. It's a memory upgrade module for the AWE64. It accepts a 72-pin SIMM.

feipoa wrote:

SimmConn

It lets you put in a 32 MB 72-pin EDO stick of RAM into a Creative AWE64 Gold for a total of 28 MB sound font memory.

That's pretty darn N.E.A.T.!! Thanks guys!! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 60, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

so is the simmconn still available or not? I haven't had any real answers yet 🙁

xuxu@ht.rol.cn.net

email and ask

there's some text that scrolls on the top of the page that says last updated Mar. 1 2011 so unless they've gone under in the last few months, I would assume they are still available.

Reply 29 of 60, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
SimmConn http://simmconn.tripod.com/ […]
Show full quote

SimmConn

Yes they are still available. They are only $15 and ship from California. I got some about a month ago (1 + 1 backup). They work great, even work in NT4.0! I didn't even bother to e-mail him first. I just straight away paid him with Paypal, then e-mailed him. It all happened so fast, and then they were here.

I bought the AWE64Gold new in store, around 1997. I was into optimising old hardware even back then. Anyway, the RAR of the CD I have is 174 MB, but it looks like somebody sourced one already?

you bought it new? cool! do you still have all the stuff? what about the 2 games it came with like I asked earlier? 😀

Reply 30 of 60, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the two games that it came with are on CD's seperate from the main CD, then I no, I don't have those discs.

At one point in my life I decided that everything should be stored digitally on the computer's HD. So I ISO'ed up everything I thought important, and tossed all my discs. Consequently, I also scanned every document I had, every printed film picture, etc. You know all those CD's that come bundled with text books? Yup, those too.

I was trying to reduce clutter in my life, but couldn't keep up with the influx of junk.

If the games are on the main AWE64Gold disc, then I likely have them.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 31 of 60, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

when i got an awe64g all i remember getting was
the card itself along with the install CD, game
port midi adapter, spdif bracket and some variant
of cubase lite. at least this is what i can recall.
i threw out the CDs so long ago and don't think
there were any games as the gold was more
targeted at music production.

bye

Reply 32 of 60, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
xuxu@ht.rol.cn.net […]
Show full quote
TheMAN wrote:

so is the simmconn still available or not? I haven't had any real answers yet 🙁

xuxu@ht.rol.cn.net

email and ask

there's some text that scrolls on the top of the page that says last updated Mar. 1 2011 so unless they've gone under in the last few months, I would assume they are still available.

I should really add an avatar. Without one my shorter posts get drowned out.

Still available 😜. Unless something changed in the past few weeks or so.

Reply 33 of 60, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
If the two games that it came with are on CD's seperate from the main CD, then I no, I don't have those discs. […]
Show full quote

If the two games that it came with are on CD's seperate from the main CD, then I no, I don't have those discs.

At one point in my life I decided that everything should be stored digitally on the computer's HD. So I ISO'ed up everything I thought important, and tossed all my discs. Consequently, I also scanned every document I had, every printed film picture, etc. You know all those CD's that come bundled with text books? Yup, those too.

I was trying to reduce clutter in my life, but couldn't keep up with the influx of junk.

If the games are on the main AWE64Gold disc, then I likely have them.

don't think they are on the main disc... every ISO I got doesn't have them

the AWE64 Gold did come with the two games, except for the EMU boxed version

Reply 34 of 60, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

For convenience you could use Youtube for the recordings, like say playing Eradicator using AWE64.

This is a good idea. I'll have to try this. I've only done one crappy video on YouTube. For a sound demo, is it fairly easy to just show a "blank screen" with some text, eg "This music is from a SoundBlaster", and then have the music playing in the background - what's the best quality setting I can use? What software do I need to create such a video. Sorry, noob here, never done this before. Any tips on this subject would be very welcome. Thanks a lot.

Reply 35 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I saw an AWE64 Gold CT4390 for sale at a flea market, and I bought it.
The Diagnose.exe util I use for my SB16 works to some extend with the AWE64, As I can hear digital sound effects. No audible noise floor and decent sound volume without amplifier. I cannot hear the OPL3 though.

So I threw the proper DOS drivers at the card: CTCM and AWEUTIL, Many different versions. but all they do is nag with error messages. '"CTCM not present" / "Your system configuration has changed" Tried Setver to fool them into thinking it is DOS 6.22 instead of 7.10, but it hardly makes a difference. Diagnose is acting weird too, from the commandline I can put the AWE64 on IRQ 7, but when I run it from the GUI it will only do IRQ 5? Actually I cannot even get the AWE32 CT1920 upgrade card to work anymore, it used to work before.

These DOS drivers are mad. 😖

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 38 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did try CTCU too. And of each file I tried at least the very last version from the Awe 64 basic package that RG100 wrote about, and the CTCMBBS package.

This topic shows the same problem:
AWE64 Diagnose / AweUtil error

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul