VOGONS

AWE64 Diagnose / AweUtil error

Topic actions

First post, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone -

I am working on reviving my P120 to be a Dos only machine for games and I am having difficulty with a Awe64 Value I bought on Ebay. I can get sound effects fine, but any music, even regular SB music does not play on any game. AWEUtil will not initialize and when I run Diagnose, I get this error.

"The hardware required for Advanced Waveffects Synthesis is missing or faulty."

Can anyone post a picture of where this chip is on the card so I can see if the chip is in fact missing and try to get a refund? Or if you have other ideas on what can cause that, it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Gyro

Reply 1 of 41, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's rather unlikely that the chip is missing. Better check if the DOS drivers are correctly installed.

Do you have the CTCM.EXE utility in your AUTOEXEC.BAT? Which message do you get if you execute CTCM manually?

Reply 2 of 41, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help. Yes, it is in the autoexec.bat as the first and second line. I have it like this

Set CTCM=C:\SB16\
C:\SB16\CTCM.exe /s

The error I get when typing manually is

"Your system configuration has changed. Please run Windows 95 to initialize your system configuration."

I can't do that because I have no flavor of Windows on there at all (however I guess I can install Win98 if it's needed to get around this problem..)

Thanks again...

Reply 3 of 41, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It shouldn't be necessary to install Windows for this to work.

Try this:

In your C:\SB16 directory there is a file called CTPNP.CFG. Delete it (the file will be re-created automatically). Then run CTCM again.

Reply 4 of 41, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Negative. I didnt see the file but just to be sure, I copyed ctcm to a brand new directory. Same error. The version of CTCM I have is v1.08 just in case you are aware of another version out there.

Thanks again
Gyro

Reply 6 of 41, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran XTGold and did a file search and there was a entry in the root as you expected. The root dir is in my current path statement so I thought you found the problem... however running ctcm /s gave the exact same error regarding Win 95 initialization. I may give this up and go back to my trusty Opti 931 soundcard. You know your stuff though so I still have hope we can work this out. I personally am out of ideas. Thanks again.

Reply 7 of 41, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick note Su3 that I did end up going back to my old card. If I decide to tackle the problem again, I'll give you an update. I really appreciate your effort.

Reply 8 of 41, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gyro, which revision is your AWE64 Value? If you have CT4520 then you can try this.
http://awe64flash.chat.ru/
In some rare cases CT4520 firmware may be corrupted. This util designed to restore it.

Reply 9 of 41, by Gyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I did in fact already flash the Awe64. I believe there was a utility on the Dell site that I used but it had no effect. I already burned 5-6 hrs trying to get it up and going, but I have replaced the card with my old one for now. Thanks for replying though.

Reply 10 of 41, by Naibas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Crap, I'm having this exact problem. I've got a Dell Dimension M233s and an AWE64 Gold I got off eBay (CT4390). When I run CTCM, it says "Your system configuration has changed. Please run Windows 95 to initialize your system configuration.", and AWEUTIL says "ERR012: AWE32 initialization failed".

When I run DIAGNOSE, the 8 and 16 bit sound tests work, but the synthesized music test is silent.

Also, there's this MFBEN jumper on the card, and it was open (aka no jumper). Reading around online hasn't cleared up if that should be open or closed to get the internal music synth to play properly, or if closing it just does something to the external MIDI/joystick port (to which I have nothing connected). I closed it with a jumper, and nothing changed regarding the results of running CTCM or AWEUTIL.

Maybe that's because I'm running DOS 7.1, which leads it to think I have Win9x as well? I can start fresh tomorrow night with 6.22 and see if that helps.

Reply 11 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest trying a DOS 6.22 bootdisk (you can get one from bootdisk.com) and also checking if there are any PnP option in the BIOS.

Also get the latest CTCM from the Creative support site!

Unless the card is faulty, there shouldn't be much that can go wrong...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 41, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dunno about the problem at hand, but (like the AWE32s) the MFBEN (MIDI FeedBack Enable) jumper needs to be closed in order for MIDI data to be directed to the EMU8000.

I'm not sure if this matters/has any effect in WinDoZe, but in DOS it does.

(edit) P.S. Here's a better description of it -> http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=3092.0;wap2 , and the AWE32 manual mentions it as well -> http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TS … /2390/awe32.pdf .

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 13 of 41, by Naibas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running MS-DOS 6.22 seems to have completely fixed it! The one thing I haven't loaded up yet is a CD-ROM driver, so it could still have been a conflict with that, I guess, but at the moment everything on the card is working great (at least through DIAGNOSE), and I have no more errors or requests to run Windows 95 anymore. Hurray!

I'll finish up my testing tonight after work. I'm am so stoked!

Reply 14 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome!

To install all the Sound Blaster software, there are 2 drivers from the creative site. CTCM and SBBASIC.

Once you have unpacked both into folders, run SETUP.EXE from the SBBASIC folder and it will install all the software and create AUTOEXEC and CONFIG entries.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 41, by wysiwyg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I get the same problem here on DOS 6.22:
ERR012: AWE32 initialization failed

I'm running a CT4520 (AWE64) on Intel LT430TX mobo and P233 MMX with 32MB PC66 SDRAM. There's no Windows installed whatsoever. After reading the whole topic here and some other forums I can't seem to find the solution to this problem. Here you say that there should not be any problem under DOS 6.x, however the problem is happening to me.

I have tried the following drivers and from both I get the same problem:
AWE32 Driver 1997.12.30
AWE64 Driver 1997.12.22

If anyone has found a solution, please share it. Thank you.

My PCs / My series collection

Reply 17 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For MS-DOS 7.1 use this guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TWI1DUg74

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 41, by wysiwyg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have DOS 7.1 and I don't want to install any Windows, because the hard disk is actually a compact flash card, and they don't do well with Windows. I watched the video from the link you've posted and almost the same is happening here, except that the installation doesn't put the E620 attribute in the autoexec.bat and if I put it manually, after restart of the system it's gone, so I assume something removes it for some reason. Maybe I'm using different drivers than the ones the guy on the video does, however there are no links to the ones he's using anywhere on the comments under the video.

My PCs / My series collection

Reply 19 of 41, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had this error in the past, but unfortunately I can't remember what fixed it.
Did you already have a go with the CTCU utility? I reckon this is not a problem with the drivers/DOS version/missing Windows installation, but with the PnP configuration on the card itself.