3D Accelerator Video Captures

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Since you own a Viper II I believe can you dig out s3quake3 for me? It's just a modified q3test.

It's not on the demo CD that came with the card and I can't find S3Quake3 online for download anywhere. 🙁

Reply 62 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Loads of S3 Savage3D captures. It's a surprisingly usable card, particularly compared to any Virge. Although I imagine the fact that I have the advantage of drivers with lots of revisions behind them is coloring my opinion. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL995DE … eature=view_all

leileilol wrote:

Since you own a Viper II I believe can you dig out s3quake3 for me? It's just a modified q3test.

Found the maps but have not located DMMQ3.exe yet.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000619023146/htt … &sub_menu=files

On another note, check out the Savage3D video of Unreal with S3TC maps. And I also found Quake2 S3TC stuff! (video coming soon)

Reply 64 of 185, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Loads of S3 Savage3D captures. It's a surprisingly usable card, particularly compared to any Virge. Although I imagine the fact that I have the advantage of drivers with lots of revisions behind them is coloring my opinion. 😀

That may be part of why I remember my Rage Pro working well too . . . we originally got it around 1998, but I used it well into the early 2000s, with my dad adding useful patches/updates. (including some beta ones -but that was mostly for DVD support, which wasn't officially provided for the PCI Rage)

Reply 65 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Years ago, while working with a old notebook with a Rage Mobility, I found a site with a lot of info about the various available Rage Pro drivers, including which ones to use for specific situations and what features they support.
http://www.oocities.org/ziyadhosein/index.html

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Do you have Destruction Derby for the S3 Virge? I've always been wondering how the game looks 3D accelerated.

Nope don't have it. It sounds like it might be worth trying to find though...

Reply 66 of 185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDAWa6bVt2M

Slightly on the self-promotional side, but this helped me understand more about the PCX2

which brought me to put up a new project goal for my game...... SUPPORT THE PCX2

also swaaye, in your Mystique video, particularily in Jedi Knight, is that a subtract blend for the tint? Does Mystique also support additive?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 67 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

also swaaye, in your Mystique video, particularily in Jedi Knight, is that a subtract blend for the tint? Does Mystique also support additive?

I dunno. I could set it up again and get a feature list out of Aida/Everest. Or see what 3D Winbench tests show.

The problem with the Matrox Mystique/Millennium II though is that they are very prone to lock ups in 3D. I've had this problem on both my 815 and 440BX boards. Blech. It might be something with DMA. There's lots of retro chat about it on Google Groups.

Reply 68 of 185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be a PNP issue too. In 1998 i've had a lot of PCX2 freezeups because of that.

I should also mention there's unique MiniGLs for Mystique, PowerVR and Virge in the Crime Cities demo done by Techland themselves. If you ever get around to trying those cards again you could play with those. I know the PVR MiniGL "works" with Q3A and MDK2 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 69 of 185, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Do you have Destruction Derby for the S3 Virge? I've always been wondering how the game looks 3D accelerated.

Nope don't have it. It sounds like it might be worth trying to find though...

It is, it may look way better than the original game. It runs in 512x384x16 vs 320x200x8. I think it comes on the same CD which has Descent 2. I'm dying to see this.

Last edited by filipetolhuizen on 2012-03-19, 01:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 70 of 185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I think it comes on the same CD which has Descent 2. I'm dying to see this.

This is true, I own it and even both games share CD audio tracks. Descent 2's are abridged.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 71 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Descent II: The Infinite Abyss ? That's the one that includes Destruction Derby as well? If it is, then Underground Gamer has it, but I don't have an S3 Virge to test it out. I could give the link for anyone who wants to try it out, but I don't know if this is allowed here.

Reply 74 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I should also mention there's unique MiniGL Virge in the Crime Cities demo done by Techland themselves. If you ever get around to trying those cards again you could play with those.

I tried Crime Cities demo on both Virge 325 and GX and could not get the S3D GL working with either card. I even tried a few different drivers but it freezes then loading a map. D3D does work but I'm not sure it looks right (it's certainly not playable-looking to me).

Reply 75 of 185, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Swaaye, either my memory is changing, or the list of tests is growing. I will assume the latter, which begs my next questions,

1) What are the eventual plans for this fantastic archive of test video?

For example, will you be gradually adding more games and more graphic cards? Perhaps the top 100 games from 1994-2001 on the top 50 graphic cards? That's only 5,000 combinations, but if you did one test a day, at least you'd finish in less than a generation (or about 14 years). I wonder if anyone would still care about these ancient games in 14 more years?

2) Any plans on adding some obscure cards to the mix? For example,

A) S3 DeltaChrome S8
http://www.s3graphics.com/en/products/class3. … px?productId=12
or
B) Matrox Parhelia

3) As a sick and twisted addition, it would be fun to throw in a VIA C3 1.2 GHz CPU on that Radeon 8500 and run Quake III Arena. In fact, run it on an S3 DeltaChrome S8 so it is an entirely VIA test.

Again, great job here. Having never been much of a game player, aside from Subspace, it is quite interesting to see all of these games for the first time. After seeing the quality of Quake III Arena, it is somewhat painful to watch the older games now.

FYI, Subspace first came out in 1996 by Virgin Interactive, but is now free if anyone is interested. It was renamed Continuum. It only requires DirectX3, so it is great for NT4 installations.
http://www.getcontinuum.com/

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 77 of 185, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Correct. Subspace is a 2D shooter, but looks pretty damn slick in my opinion. I am definately not requesting that it be part of the 3D accelerator video captures!

It is like Asteroids pumped on steroids. There is one 3D-like effect in there called rolling ship. The game works great on fast 486's (133 MHz+) and also requires an internet connection as you are playing against other online players.

Reply 78 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, I've added various Savage3D, NVIDIA NV1 and S3 Virge recordings in the past few days. They are all being added to the big playlist as I upload the videos.

feipoa wrote:
1) What are the eventual plans for this fantastic archive of test video? […]
Show full quote

1) What are the eventual plans for this fantastic archive of test video?

2) Any plans on adding some obscure cards to the mix? For example,

A) S3 DeltaChrome S8
B) Matrox Parhelia

3) As a sick and twisted addition, it would be fun to throw in a VIA C3 1.2 GHz CPU on that Radeon 8500 and run Quake III Arena. In fact, run it on an S3 DeltaChrome S8 so it is an entirely VIA test.

FYI, Subspace first came out in 1996 by Virgin Interactive, but is now free if anyone is interested. It was renamed Continuum. It only requires DirectX3, so it is great for NT4 installations.
http://www.getcontinuum.com/

1) I am occasionally working on new videos. The video collection is growing as new ideas come to mind, plus people here have given me some new ideas on games to try. I have quite a few more old cards to record (3D cards are my main retro interest).

2) Oh there is more to come. 😀

3) I prefer to use an absurdly fast CPU to show the absolute limit of the tested card. The PIII-S at 1050 MHz is already a bottleneck to some degree in some games, like Unreal Tournament and Quake3, and 3DMark2000/2001. The Radeon 8500 would be considerably bottlenecked by the PIII-S even at its 1400 MHz native speed.

I do need to revisit the 8500 + Core 2 setup because the current video is a FRAPS capture. FRAPS incurs synchronization overhead and a significant amount of frame rate is lost in the process. The loss can be tangibly felt while doing the recording.

Will look into Subspace.

Reply 79 of 185, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I have quite a few more old cards to record (3D cards are my main retro interest).

MATROX! The Millennium G200, G400 Max, G550, and Parhelia are probably the most interesting (for me). A Voodoo3 3000 and Voodoo5 5500 would also make nice additions. I got my Parhelia 128 AGP for about $20.

swaaye wrote:

3) I prefer to use an absurdly fast CPU to show the absolute limit of the tested card. The PIII-S at 1050 MHz is already a bottleneck to some degree in some games, like Unreal Tournament and Quake3, and 3DMark2000/2001. The Radeon 8500 would be considerably bottlenecked by the PIII-S even at its 1400 MHz native speed.

Indeed, that is definately how it should be done. The VIA combo box is my attempt to squeeze in an oddball CPU/graphics combo, just to see how the underdog compares on the system level.