VOGONS

Matrox Mystique (MSI API Native) list

Topic actions

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I couldn't find any list for this, so I searched around and made one myself.

Picture of whole bundle (except Moto Racer)
img9958medium56o.th.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me complete it:

EDIT: See 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D) for updated list.

Last edited by vetz on 2012-09-20, 17:06. Edited 18 times in total.

Reply 1 of 61, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the list! Do you have the patch for Tomb Raider? I would be happy to try and run it on this baby http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii564/Rac … er/P1000621.jpg

Reply 2 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Patches Scrolls have them all 😀

EDIT: LINK REMOVED

Last edited by vetz on 2012-06-06, 21:55. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Updated the list.

Removed Terracide as I found a post by leileilol talking about the PowerVR which said that it was Direct3D and the different shortcuts was just to make the game better tailored for each card. So I guess that also counts for the Mystique.

Added links to patches and bundle picture.

Added Screamer II 3D card bundle patch. INCLUDES CGL patch which I have never seen anywhere else!

Added Monster Trucks (Thunder Truck Rally), OEM DEMO that was bundled. CD pictured here. If anyone have this demo, I guess there is no problem making it public?

Last edited by vetz on 2012-07-25, 02:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 61, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Tomb Raider (Patch) - does not work, requires S3 Virge 🙁

Working one:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=1634297

The image is nice and crispy, much better than D3D and way faster. But 3dfx quality level is much higher.

Reply 5 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

- Tomb Raider (Patch) - does not work, requires S3 Virge 🙁

Working one:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=1634297

Ups, my bad. I linked to the wrong one. Good that you found the correct Mystique patch.

Reply 7 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to Anakin94 for providing these screenshots of Destruction Derby 2:

Left picture is normal software, right is Mystique version:

dd2rookie.th.pngdd2mrookie.th.png dd2amatuer.th.pngdd2mamateur.th.png

dd2pro.th.pngdd2mpro.th.png dd2menu.th.pngdd2mmenu.th.png

dd2demo.th.pngdd2mdemo.th.png dd2end.th.pngdd2mend.th.png

dd2smoke.th.pngdd2msmoke.th.png dd2numbers.th.pngdd2mnumbers.th.png

dd2dd.th.pngdd2mdd.th.png

As you can see, the non existence of fogging, filtering and proper blending makes you think if the game is accelerated at all. There are differences in the smoke and I also think the Mystique version looks a bit sharper and clearer. You also have to remember that back when the game came out very few processors would be able to run the software version in 640x480 with acceptable FPS, meaning the accelerated 640x480 Mystique version would be preferable. I will be providing a comparison video when I are finished moving.

EDIT: Added from http://web.archive.org/web/19961223011805/htt … mgaweb/news.htm

Matrox first to bring hardware accelerated Destruction Derby TM 2 to the PC Exclusive bundle with Matrox Mystique® until January […]
Show full quote

Matrox first to bring hardware accelerated Destruction Derby TM 2 to the PC Exclusive bundle with Matrox Mystique® until January 1997

Montreal, Canada — Destruction Derby 2 makes its awaited debut on the PC platform with a special hardware accelerated version exclusively bundled with the Matrox Mystique until January 1997. Harnessing the cutting edge 3D technology of the Matrox Mystique, Destruction Derby 2 from Psygnosis explodes on the PC at exceptionally high frame rates with richly detailed textures.

"Destruction Derby 2 runs very well on the Matrox Mystique," says Martin Edmondson Head of Reflections, developers of Destruction Derby 2. "The Mystique's powerful 3D engine delivers the full arcade experience of Destruction Derby 2 to today's PC gamers."

Destruction Derby 2 takes full advantage of the Matrox Mystique's unique scatter gather PCI bus mastering capabilities, allowing maximal graphics processing to deliver high frame rates at a high quality level. With Mystique's support of higher resolutions, color depths and refresh rates, the hardware accelerated Destruction Derby 2 runs at four times the software resolution, achieving full frame rate at 640 x 400 in 65,000 colors. The game also benefits from the Matrox Mystique's support for both CLUT 4 and CLUT 8 texture compression, making maximal use of the Mystique's frame buffer space, and allowing it to use more texture details to enhance quality.

"The PC version of Destruction Derby 2 uses stunning artwork and remarkable detail levels," said Dan Wood, Senior Product Manager for Matrox. "By using CLUT 4 and CLUT 8 textures for every texture map in the game, Destruction Derby 2 takes full advantage of the Mystique's advanced technology to deliver a highly immersive game play experience."

This exclusive hardware accelerated version of Destruction Derby 2 also uses the Mystique's ability to apply depth-cued lighting to texture mapped objects like smashed fenders and crumpled engine hoods, as well as spotlight effects in the night driving tracks, while maintaining full rendering speed.

A Montreal-based graphics chip designer and board manufacturer, Matrox Graphics Inc. is a leader in the graphics industry. Matrox was the first to introduce a 64-bit graphics engine for the PC market with its MGA Series, which has received over 130 international awards since 1993. With 20 years of experience, Matrox continues to offer leading edge solutions at the best price/performance.

November 14, 1996

Last edited by vetz on 2012-09-18, 03:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There seems to be two different versions of the Destruction Derby 2 OEM, one with the demo for Monster Trucks included and one which the demo is on a separated disc. The bundle picture in the first post show the separate disc version, and this picture shows the DD2 disc with Monster Trucks Demo.

Monster Trucks (Thunder Truck Rally) Demo for the Matrox Mystique (6mb):
http://www.mediafire.com/?9njubu82w9bv812
http://bit.ly/KSGjDC

Screenshots:
mtmoutofmap.th.pngmtmgraphic.th.png

Again thanks to Anakin94 for providing CD scan, screenshots and copy of demo.

Reply 10 of 61, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dd2.gif

Hi,
this post is a big version comparison about Destruction Derby 2.
It's mainly focussed, to show what is different on the Matrox Mystique version.
I will compare the graphic, sound and some technical stuff like the file contents.
My opinion is, that there are too less informations on the internet, about the edition which was bundled with the Matrox Mystique video card in 1997.
I have made many screenshots and for all tracks a gameplay video.
Please help me to correct grammatical issues, english is not my main language.

I used these versions to compare:
-PC Dos Hires (Dosbox) - Draw distance set to maximum
-PC Matrox Mystique 1.01 (Retro machine - Matrox Mystique 2MB, Pentium MMX 233MHz,64MB SD Ram, Win95c)
-PS1 NTSC-U (ePSXe 2.05 2x resolution)
-PS1 Beta Rolling Demo PAL from Demo One Version 4 SCED-00457 (ePSXe 2.05 2x resolution)
I think the same Demo is on the Demo One Version 4 SCED-00456, Autumn/Christmas Releases SCED-00273
and Official UK PlayStation Magazine CD 13 SCED-00365

0. Destruction Derby 2 Comparison Index
1. Disc Content
2. Installed files
3. Extracting "DIRINFO" files
4. Hidden Debug .exe files?
5. Graphic Comparison
5.1. Missing object/sprites etc. in the Matrox version (Many Screenshots)
6. Sound Comparison
7. Gameplay differences
8. Matrox version can load PS1 save files and replay files and PS1 version the Matrox ones
9. Videos from Retail PC, Matrox and PS1 Version from all tracks
10. Videos from Demo mode in Retail PC, Matrox and PS1 Version from all tracks
11. Two Matrox Destruction Derby 2 versions?
12. Monster Trucks/Thunder Truck Rally Beta Demo
13. My wishes
14. Sources

1. Disc Content
Let me begin with the disc content.
The first picture is the Retail PC disc, the second is the Matrox disc with the Monster Trucks Beta Demo, the third
is my other Matrox disc without the Monster Trucks Demo and the last one is the PS1 NTSC-U disc.

PC_t.gifDD2MTMatrox_t.gifDD2Matrox_t.gifps1ntsc_t.gif

On the Retail PC and the Matrox disc's are the "DATA.z" file, which contains the gamefiles (DD2.exe, DIRINFO file...).
The Retail PC version will install the Intro/Outro files to the hard disk drive and needs a CD to start.
The Matrox version will read them from the disc and don't need it to start, it's optional for the Intro/Outro playing and Redbook-Audio.
So, if you not insert the disc, you don't have the cool Intro. 😜
The data.z file from the Retail PC version has the date 15.Nov.1996 and the Matrox file is from 15.Sept.1996.
But this date on Matrox version can't be correct, because it contains files which are younger.
You will see it later when i compare them.

DD2_Disc_content_t.gif

When we open the readme file of booth Matrox disc's, we can see only one difference.
The disc with the Monster Trucks Demo, says 25.Sept 1996 version 1.01 and the second disc 5.Dec 1996 version 1.01.
I think there is a version 1.00 from the DD2 Matrox version, you will find my thinking at point "11.Two Matrox Destruction Derby 2 versions?"

Readmecomp_t.gif

The first Matrox disc has a broken last Audio track (Track 19), it only has 25sec, after these 25sec it's silence.
The picture shows Track 19, from the first and the second Matrox disc.

Matrox_track19_broken_t.gif

On booth Matrox disc's are some Audiotrack in a different order.
Track 5 and Track 11 are the same, "How Do You Know - Jug (Caprio County Raceway)" is missing.
I think the man who mastered the disc made an mistake, because the tracks are in a wrong order and are not editied in the main menu, it shows the title and artist from the original Retail PC and PS1 order.
Also some tracks have at the end some silent clicking.

Retail PC and PS1 order
Track01 Data
Track02 Slapshot - Jug (Pine Hills Raceway)
Track03 Rejected - Jug (Chalk Canyon)
Track04 Dead Happy - Jug (Black Sail Valley)
Track05 Footsteps - Jug (Ultimate Destruction)
Track06 How Do You Know - Jug (Caprio County Raceway)
Track07 Better - Jug (Liberty City)
Track08 Pushed Away - Jug (SCA Motorplex)
Track09 Telekenesis - Tuscan (The Colosseum)
Track10 Pinnacle - Tuscan (The Pit)
Track11 Little Pig - Jug (Red Pike Arena)
Track12 Soundcheck - Jug (Death Bowl)
Track13 Joyrider - Jug (Title Screens)
Track14 Direction - Jug (Results Screens)
Track15 Jade - Jug (End Of Season)
Track16 Breed - Jug (Bonus Track 1)
Track17 Sun Dive - Tuscan (Bonus Track 2)
Track18 Burn Out - Jug (Bonus Track 3)
Track19 Crawl - Jug (Bonus Track 4)

Matrox order
Track01 Data
Track02 Slapshot - Jug (Pine Hills Raceway)
Track03 Rejected - Jug (Chalk Canyon)
Track04 Dead Happy - Jug (Black Sail Valley)
Track05 Footsteps - Jug (Ultimate Destruction)*
Track06 Little Pig - Jug (Caprio County Raceway)
Track07 Better - Jug (Liberty City)
Track08 Pushed Away - Jug (SCA Motorplex)
Track09 Sun Dive - Tuscan (The Colosseum)
Track10 Pinnacle - Tuscan (The Pit)
Track11 Footsteps - Jug (Red Pike Arena)*
Track12 Soundcheck - Jug (Death Bowl)
Track13 Joyrider - Jug (Title Screens)
Track14 Direction - Jug (Results Screens)
Track15 Jade - Jug (End Of Season)
Track16 Breed - Jug (Bonus Track 1)
Track17 Telekenesis - Tuscan (Bonus Track 2)
Track18 Burn Out - Jug (Bonus Track 3)
Track19 Crawl - Jug (Bonus Track 4)

You can fix the order in the Matrox version, if you insert the Retail PC version disc, or the PS1 disc into the CD-Drive.
Also the Retail PC version accepts the PS1 disc and the Matrox disc's to start.

2. Installed files
At next, we take a look to the installed files.
We can see that the Matrox version has more files.
The MSI95.DLL is the Matrox Simple Interface library.
The DD2.exe (Win) from the Retail PC version is from 12.Nov 1996.
The DD2.exe from the Matrox version 11.Oct 1996.
The SCUS_943.50 from the PS1 Version 26.Sept 1996.
The MAIN.EXE from the PS1 Rolling Demo 14.July 1996.

And now to the DIRINFO file, which has no file extension.
This file contains all gamefiles like textures, soundfiles (exept music)...etc.
Retail PC 31.Oct 1996 - 21,1MB
Matrox 2.Oct 1996 - 18,8MB
PS1 26.Sept 1996 - 15,5MB
PS1 Rolling Demo 14.July 1996 7,3MB

Installedcomp_t.gif

So, we can think that the Matrox version, is an older version of the Retail PC version...
Because the files from the Matrox version are ~ a month older.
No, after i extracted the files from the "DIRINFO" file, we will see, that the Matrox version is a port of the PS1 version.
Because it uses the same file extentions.
In the Matrox Mystique package, was a letter included, which says that Destruction Derby 2 is not yet released.
And you have to fill out a coupon to get it.

matrox_mystique_box_contents_t.gif

I think in late 1996 you have got the disc with the Monster Trucks Demo.
And if you bought the Mystique at 1997, you got the disc without the Demo, or seperated.
The Retail PC and the Matrox version, shares the same "README.TXT" files, with one exeption.
The Matrox version has at the end (credits), companies like Sony, Goodyear, Mad Catz and others.

Readmeinstcomp_t.gif

3. Extracting "DIRINFO" files
You can extract the "DIRINFO" with "Universal Extractor 2.0.0 RC 2b", or with "Total Commander" and "Game Archive UnPacker 0.6.0.3 PRO plugin".
Now you can see that the Matrox version looks like, that it have the same files like the PS1 version.

DIRINFOcomp_t.gif

The "*.RAW files" are pictures, that were used in the PS1 Rolling Demo.
But weren't removed in the final PS1 game and in the Matrox version.

1RAW__t.gif2RAW__t.gif3RAW__t.gif4RAW__t.gif
5RAW__t.gif6RAW__t.gifDD2RENRAW__t.gifDEMO2RAW__t.gif

The Matrox version also have the "WARNING.TIM", that was only used for the PAL PS1 version of DD2.

WARNINGTIM__t.gif

The "LEV*" folders are Level files and i think the "VAGS" folder including the soundfiles.
I think, that the "LEV0" folder is the menu.
On the Retail PC version is the "LEVC" folder missing.
When we don't count the "LEV0" and the "VAGS" folder on Matrox or PS1 version, then we have 13 folders.
But the game only has 11 levels (7 Racetracks and 4 Derby bowls), so this could be hidden levels or parts from the menu.
It also looks like that the PS1 Rolling Demo has more tracks, than the Pine Hills Raceway.
I hope someone make them accessible.
The user "MMRivit" on Youtube, made all 4 Beta Replay's accessible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuXIwnZ8xg

Now i open the "LEV0" folder and we can see, that the Retail PC version is not using the "*.RAW" format for pictures, it using bitmap files (*.BMP).
Instead of using the "*.TXC" format it using "*.TX4".
It also missing the "DRIVERS.BIN" and "TRACKS.BIN" file.
But it has a LEVEL.PAL file.
I hope someone can explain me these files.
Again, we see that the Matrox version is surely a PS1 Port.

LEV0comp_t.gif

All DD2 Players who played all versions, know how it feels to play the PS1 version and the PC version.
I also noticed, that you fly a bit higher and further on the PS1 and Matrox version, than on the Retail PC version.

4. Hidden Debug exe files?
We go back to the "ROOT" folder of the extracted "DIRINFO" file.
The PS1 and the Matrox version, has 4 exe files in it.

"NTSCINTR.EXE"
"NTSCXTRO.EXE"
"PALINTRO.EXE"
"PALXTRO.EXE"

I have checked the CRC checksums of the files.
The four files in the PS1 Version, has different checksums.
The EXE files from the Matrox version, are all the same.
And yes, on the Matrox version they are Windows executables, but it looks like that they're PS1 EXE files.
I have opened one and it says, that it needed the "MSI95.DLL" file.
Then i have copied it from the Matrox DD2 Root folder into the extract "DIRINFO" Rootfolder.
But it closes directly, then i tried to copy the EXE files into the DD2 Root folder, near to the DD2.EXE and the same happened.
I have opened one EXE file with 7-Zip and found out that, there are ".debug0, .debug1, .debug2, .debug3" files in it.

debugexe_t.gif

Then i have opened them with notepad and saw that they're Debug pathes in it.

debug0_t.gifdebug1_t.gif
debug2_t.gifdebug3_t.gif

I also saw leftovers from the linked game.

debugexelinked_t.gif

A strange thing is, that these things are also in the Matrox files, because these texts were also found in the "MAIN.EXE" from the PS1 Rolling Demo.

The Cutting Room Floor - Proto:Destruction Derby 2 (PlayStation)

5. Graphic Comparison
The Matrox version has no loading bar, like the Retail PC and the PS1 version.
The Mainmenu looks much better on the Matrox and PS1 version.
On the Retail PC is the color palette limited to display 256 colors.
The logos and the selection ring looks different.
At the Retail PC version, the logos don't have the red brown rust, the Matrox and PS1 version have them.
The Retail PC version has a white up glowing selection ring, the Matrox version has a green static lighting grid ring and the PS1 version has
a green up glowing ring.
I think it's possible that the Matrox version also have a up glowing circle, but it cannot be displayed properly due the transparency problem by the Mystique video card.
Also the fonts are different.
I think they changed the font to white, because it has shadows and the Mystique will display it black.
And you can't see a black font on a black non transparent shadow. 😉

Left is Retail PC, middle is Matrox and on the right side is PS1.

DD2Menu_t.gifDD2MMenu_t.gifDD2PSXMenu_t.gif
TrackPC_t.gifTrackMatrox_t.gifTrackPSX_t.gif
OptionsPC_t.gifOptionsMatrox_t.gifOptionsPSX_t.gif
FontsPC_t.gifFontsMatrox_t.gifFontsPSX_t.gif

The Retail PC version ask's for Quit if you pressing "Esc", the Matrox version closes directly.

DD2Exit_t.gif

At the car selection, we can see that the the textures from the "Amateur" and the "Pro" cars, are swapped on the Retail PC version.
On the Matrox and PS1 version, is the "Amateur" car White, with Purple bumpers and a Blue Number 01.
The "Pro" car is Yellow with Black bumpers and also a Blue number.
The Retail PC version has them swapped, the "Amateur" is the Yellow car and the "Pro" is White, but it has Black bumpers.
But you also see, that the Yellow Retail PC "Amateur" car, has also problems with the 256 color palette.
It missing some details and it looks like that the Matrox version also have less detailed textures.
You can see it best on the windows, that the PS1 textures are the most detailed ones.

DD2Rookie_t.gifDD2MRookie_t.gifDD2PSXRookie_t.gif
DD2Amatuer_t.gifDD2MAmateur_t.gifDD2PSXAmateur_t.gif
DD2Pro_t.gifDD2MPro_t.gifDD2PSXPro_t.gif

I have opened the Retail PC versions "DD2.exe" file and saw, that the cars are really swapped.

PCswapped_t.gif

After, i have changed it to the right order, we have them correctly displayed in the menu.
Sadly in a race, they're not changed.

The Retail PC pause menu, has a selectable draw distance.
The Matrox version don't have that option, it has the default draw distance from the Retail PC version.
And the PS1 version has the maximum draw distance, like the Retail PC version if you set it to maximum.
And the PS1 version is the only one, which has a transparent pause menu.

DD2PausePC_t.gifDD2PauseM_t.gifDD2PausePSX_t.gif

Ingame have the Retail PC cars some different textures and colors, but the same numbers like the other versions.
They missing backlights, have ugly undetailed shadows on the roof and all cars have black numbers.
A strange thing is, that in the car selection menu are the detailed textures.
I'm asking me, who of the developers had the idea to make them so undetailed and why they did it.
The PC version has a ~month older gamefiles, but all the car textures are looking unfinished.
The PS1 and the Matrox version has so nice detailed car textures.

DD2Demo_t.gifDD2MDemo_t.gifDD2PSXDemo_t.gif
DD2Numbers_t.gifDD2MNumbers_t.gifDD2PSXNumbers_t.gif

But there is one difference.
I'm sure that they used on the Matrox version older textures, than in the final PS1 version.
Look at the backlights.
You see that the PS1 version has disabled backlights, they only light up if you break.
On the Matrox version they are every time enabled and lighting red, same at the PS1 Rolling Demo textures.
But the PS1 Rolling Demo car textures, looks much brighter.
This is also a guess, that they used an older code, which has no implemented this feature.
The Rookie car has only on the Retail PC version red rivets.
The perspective correction at the Matrox version is working ok.
You can see it at the windows from the house on left side.
But the track borders looking a bit wavy.

DD2Back_t.gifDD2MBack_t.gifDD2PSXBack_t.gifDD2PSXRollingBack_t.gif

If you loose the trunk at the car, then you can see the red steel in the trunk is much brighter in the PS1 Rolling Demo.

DD2Trunk_t.gifDD2MTrunk_t.gifDD2PSXTrunk_t.gifDD2PSXRollingTrunk_t.gif

The Matrox version, or the Matrox Mystique video card has problems with transparent textures.
You see that the shadows are not transparent, also the fences are not transparent.
And the Matrox version is missing details, or has problems to display it.
It missing buildings, trees, fences or bridges on the tracks.
Look at the next point "5.1. Missing object/sprites etc. in the Matrox version" for more details.
The PS1 version has greatly looking sparks and smoke effects.
On the Retail PC version, is the smoke looking ok, the sparks has some problems.
If your car grinds fast, you see that the sparks don't have the correct position.
On the Matrox version, they're no sparks and the smoke is looking very ugly.
I looks dithered.

DD2Smoke_t.gifDD2MSmoke_t.gifDD2PSXSmoke_t.gif
DD2Sparks_t.gifDD2MSparks_t.gifDD2PSXSparks_t.gif

Also you don't see a difference, if the radiator or the engine exploded at the Matrox version.

DD2Radiator_t.gifDD2MRadiator_t.gifDD2PSXRadiator_t.gif

When your trunk or hood get crushed, you see white lines at the Matrox version instead of black lines.

DD2lines_t.gifDD2Mlines_t.gifDD2PSXlines_t.gif

Also when you loose a tire at Matrox version, is the tire white, instead of black.

DD2Tire_t.gifDD2MTire_t.gifDD2PSXTire_t.gif

The car with number "99" has sometimes a texturebug.
It's happen on Retail PC and PS1 version, i have never saw this on the Matrox version.

DD2Glitchcar_t.gifDD2MGlitchcar_t.gifDD2PSXGlitchcar_t.gif

But sometimes this will happen on the Matrox version, after you hit something at the front und or the back.

DD2MStrangeGlitch2_t.gifDD2MStrangeGlitch_t.gif

The Retail PC version, has an unaccurate damage indicator.
I think this is a problem by the 256 color palette.
Or it can be reduced for some reasons by the developers.
So it goes from green to light green to yellow etc...
Depending on the track, which color palette is used, it goes from green directly to yellow.
At the Matrox and PS1 version it has more colorsteps, that is more accurate.
I think it's the same graphic icon but it looks a bit different, because the color corners on the PS1 version are transparent.
And the Mystique is displaying them not transparent.
When your radiator exploded, then the damage indicator will blinking red and light red.
On the Retail PC version it only goes to white, and it's not blinking, sometimes it does not changes to white it stays red.

DD2Damage_t.gifDD2MDamage_t.gifDD2PSXDamage_t.gif
DD2Damage2_t.gifDD2MDamage2_t.gifDD2PSXDamage2_t.gif

You can also see that the flagg is not transparent on the Matrox version.
The PS1 Rolling Demo don't have that Race Over flagg.

DD2End_t.gifDD2MEndNeu_t.gifDD2PSXEnd_t.gif

5.1. Missing object/sprites etc. in the Matrox version

Now i will compare which details, are missing in the racing tracks from the Matrox version.
The tracks from PS1 and PC version have the same details.
In my opinion they removed a few things, to try to improve the performance of the Matrox version.
Same here, Left is Retail PC, middle is Matrox, and on the right side is PS1.
On the Pine Hills Raceway is the fourth picture the PS1 Rolling Demo.
I will enumerate the differences at most places in the tracks, so don't be surprised if the descriptions are repeated.

Pine Hills Raceway

-The Matrox version is missing the fence,
-the people,
-the Champion ad
-and the shadows of the bleachers.
-The PS1 Rolling Demo has a ingram ad, instead of the Champion ad.

DD2Ad_t.gifDD2MAd_t.gifDD2PSXAd_t.gifDD2PSXRollingAd_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the red Torocko building.

DD2Torocko_t.gifDD2MTorocko_t.gifDD2PSXTorocko_t.gif

-The Matrox version has Sony Handycam Vision banners, instead of Reflections banners.
-Also here you can see the fence is missing.
-And there are less people.

DD2Reflections_t.gifDD2MHandycam_t.gifDD2PSXReflections_t.gif
DD2Reflections2_t.gifDD2MHandycam2_t.gifDD2PSXReflections2_t.gif
DD2Reflections3_t.gifDD2MHandycam3_t.gifDD2PSXReflections3_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the SCA Display
-and there are less people.

DD2SCA_t.gifDD2MSCA_t.gifDD2PSXSCA_t.gif

-The Matrox version don't have the blue Wild Bill's Auto Sales bridge,
-it has only the turning head
-and the Champion ad is missing.
-The PS1 Rolling Demo has a ingram ad instead of a Champion ad.

DD2AutoSales_t.gifDD2MAutoSales_t.gifDD2PSXAutoSales_t.gifDD2PSXRollingAutoSales_t.gif

-The Matrox version is here also missing the SCA Display,
-has only one Champion ad,
-there are less trees,
-and the fence is missing.
-The PS1 Rolling Demo has ingram ad's, instead of Champion ad's
-and it has a Wide 16:9 ad, instead of a Goodyear ad.

DD2Ad4_t.gifDD2MAd4_t.gifDD2PSXAd4_t.gif
DD2Ad5_t.gifDD2MAd5_t.gifDD2PSXAd5_t.gifDD2PSXRollingAd2_t.gif

-The Matrox version has a LeeCooper ad, instead of the Torocko ad.
-It has a different sun angle, you can see it at the shadow under the car.
-On the left side in the curve, is the fence missing.

DD2Ad2_t.gifDD2MAd2_t.gifDD2PSXAd2_t.gif

-The Matrox version has only 2, instead of 4 ad's.
-Same here, it has no Torocko ad's, but LeeCooper ad's.
-There are less trees.

DD2Ad3_t.gifDD2MAd3_t.gifDD2PSXAd3_t.gif

Chalk Canyon

-The Retail PC version has on the left side of the track border, a light Brown/Beige color.
-In the Matrox version it's Brown, like the rest of the track.
-In the PS1 version it is Red and light Brown/Beige.

DD2Bordertexture_t.gifDD2MBordertexture_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture_t.gif
DD2Bordertexture2_t.gifDD2MBordertexture2_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture2_t.gif
DD2Bordertexture3_t.gifDD2MBordertexture3_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture3_t.gif
DD2Bordertexture4_t.gifDD2MBordertexture4_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture4_t.gif
DD2Bordertexture5_t.gifDD2MBordertexture5_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture5_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Brown fence, behind the first Brown fence.

DD2Fence_t.gifDD2MFence_t.gifDD2PSXFence_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the 3 Danger Keep Out sign's
-and the White tower.

DD2Danger_t.gifDD2MDanger_t.gifDD2PSXDanger_t.gif
DD2Danger2_t.gifDD2MDanger2_t.gifDD2PSXDanger2_t.gif
DD2Danger3_t.gifDD2MDanger3_t.gifDD2PSXDanger3_t.gif

-The Matrox version has a different sun angle, you see it at the car shadow and at the White building. It's possible that they removed the shadow of the building, because of the transparency problem.

DD2WhiteBuilding_t.gifDD2MWhiteBuilding_t.gifDD2PSXWhiteBuilding_t.gif

SCA Motorplex

I want to say this is the most undetailed track in the Matrox version.

-The Matrox version is missing the satellite dish
-and the trees.
-There are no car shadows.

DD2Satellite_t.gifDD2MSatellite_t.gifDD2PSXSatellite_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the people
-the trees
-and some ad's.

DD2Trees_t.gifDD2MTrees_t.gifDD2PSXTrees_t.gif
DD2Trees2_t.gifDD2MTrees2_t.gifDD2PSXTrees2_t.gif

-Here you see the Mad Catz ad
-and the Torocko ad is missing in the Matrox version.
-And there are no trees.

DD2Ad6_t.gifDD2MAd6_t.gifDD2PSXAd6_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the LeeCooper ad
-and the trees.

DD2Ad7_t.gifDD2MAd7_t.gifDD2PSXAd7_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Torocko, a Dekai and a Texaco Havoline ad.
-The one font of the Dekai ad is transparent, instead of Black.
-The trees are missing.

DD2Ad8_t.gifDD2MAd8_t.gifDD2PSXAd8_t.gif
DD2Ad9_t.gifDD2MAd9_t.gifDD2PSXAd9_t.gif

-All of these trees are missing in the Matrox version.

DD2Trees3_t.gifDD2MTrees3_t.gifDD2PSXTrees3_t.gif
DD2Trees4_t.gifDD2MTrees4_t.gifDD2PSXTrees4_t.gif
DD2Trees5_t.gifDD2MTrees5_t.gifDD2PSXTrees5_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Champion ad
-and the trees.

DD2Trees6_t.gifDD2MTrees6_t.gifDD2PSXTrees6_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the SCA Bar.

DD2SCABar_t.gifDD2MSCABar_t.gifDD2PSXSCABar_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the red SCA Bridge,
-the trees
-and the LeeCooper ad.
-The font of the Dekai ad is on the complete track transparent, instead of Black.

DD2SCA2_t.gifDD2MSCA2_t.gifDD2PSXSCA2_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the bridge
-and the trees.

DD2Trees7_t.gifDD2MTrees7_t.gifDD2PSXTrees7_t.gif
DD2Bridge_t.gifDD2MBridge_t.gifDD2PSXBridge_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Black/Yellow SCA ad,
-the building,
-the people,
-and the trees.

DD2Ad10_t.gifDD2MAd10_t.gifDD2PSXAd10_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the buildings,
-the people,
-and the trees.

DD2Buildings_t.gifDD2MBuildings_t.gifDD2PSXBuildings_t.gif

-On the Retail PC version looking the cars a bit Orange through the fence, but they're Red like in the PS1 version.
-The Matrox version is missing the Red cars,
-the building
-and the trees.

DD2Trees8_t.gifDD2MTrees8_t.gifDD2PSXTrees8_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the trucks.

DD2Trucks_t.gifDD2MTrucks_t.gifDD2PSXTrucks_t.gif

CCR Caprio County Raceway

-The Matrox version is missing the fence,
-the Red flaggs,
-some trees
-and some people.
-There are no car shadows.

DD2Flaggs_t.gifDD2MFlaggs_t.gifDD2PSXFlaggs_t.gif
DD2People_t.gifDD2MPeople_t.gifDD2PSXPeople_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the people
-and some trees.

DD2People2_t.gifDD2MPeople2_t.gifDD2PSXPeople2_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the right side of the track border, a light Beige/Grey color.
-In the PS1 version it is Red and White.

-The Retail PC version has at the fence transparent wood.

DD2Bordertexture6_t.gifDD2MBordertexture6_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture6_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing some trees,
-and some people.

DD2People3_t.gifDD2MPeople3_t.gifDD2PSXPeople3_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has a inconspicuous sun flare effect.
-The Matrox version has not a sun flare effect and no turning treesprites.
-The PS1 version has the a very pretty sun flare effect, you can see it also in other tracks.

DD2Trees9_t.gifDD2MTrees9_t.gifDD2PSXTrees9_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the right side of the track border, a light Beige/Grey color.

-The Matrox version is missing the Overlord ad
-and some people.

DD2Overlord_t.gifDD2MOverlord_t.gifDD2PSXOverlord_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Red flaggs,
-some people
-and the buildings.

DD2Buildings2_t.gifDD2MBuildings2_t.gifDD2PSXBuildings2_t.gif

Black Sail Valley

-The Matrox version is missing the building on the right side.
-There are no car shadows
-and the complete track is garishly, instead of dark due the weather.
-A tree is missing.

DD2Buildings3_t.gifDD2MBuildings3_t.gifDD2PSXBuildings3_t.gif
DD2Buildings4_t.gifDD2MBuildings4_t.gifDD2PSXBuildings4_t.gif

-and on the left side of the track border, it has a brighter Beige color.
-In the Matrox version it's the same like the Retail PC version, but not a brighter Beige.
-In the PS1 version it is Red and Beige.

-The Matrox version is missing the Texaco Havoline ad,
-the champion ad,
-a crane (the cameraman is flying),
-an excavator,
-some trees
-and the Yellow and Red - Black Sail Valley bridge.

DD2Crane_t.gifDD2MCrane_t.gifDD2PSXCrane_t.gif
DD2BlackSailValley_t.gifDD2MBlackSailValley_t.gifDD2PSXBlackSailValley_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing a Venus ad,
-a Champion ad,
-a Goodyear ad
-and some trees.

DD2Ad11_t.gifDD2MAd11_t.gifDD2PSXAd11_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the left side of the track border, a brighter Beige color.
-In the Matrox version it's the same like the Retail PC version, but not a brighter Beige.

-The Matrox version is missing 2 Goodyear ad's,
-an excavator
-and some trees.

DD2Bordertexture7_t.gifDD2MBordertexture7_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture7_t.gif
DD2Ad12_t.gifDD2MAd12_t.gifDD2PSXAd12_t.gif
DD2Trees10_t.gifDD2MTrees10_t.gifDD2PSXTrees10_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing many trees.

DD2Trees11_t.gifDD2MTrees11_t.gifDD2PSXTrees11_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing another crane (the cameraman is flying)
-and missing many trees.

DD2Crane2_t.gifDD2MCrane2_t.gifDD2PSXCrane2_t.gif

-In the Matrox version has the complete track no shadows, but at these two place's are shadows.
-Here are also missing some trees.

DD2Shadow_t.gifDD2MShadow_t.gifDD2PSXShadow_t.gif
DD2Shadow2_t.gifDD2MShadow2_t.gifDD2PSXShadow2_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the right side a flying tree.
-The Matrox version is missing many trees and also missing the flying tree.
-The PS1 version has the flying tree too.

DD2Trees12_t.gifDD2MTrees12_t.gifDD2PSXTrees12_t.gif
DD2Trees13_t.gifDD2MTrees13_t.gifDD2PSXTrees13_t.gif
DD2Trees14_t.gifDD2MTrees14_t.gifDD2PSXTrees14_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the Green house,
-the tree trunks,
-and the Red truck.
-There are also trees missing.

DD2Wood_t.gifDD2MWood_t.gifDD2PSXWood_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing many trees.

DD2Trees15_t.gifDD2MTrees15_t.gifDD2PSXTrees15_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the left side of the track border, a brighter Beige color.
-In the Matrox version it's the same like the Retail PC version, but not a righter Beige.

-The Matrox version is here also missing some trees.

DD2Bordertexture8_t.gifDD2MBordertexture8_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture8_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing the two buildings,
-and a tree.

DD2Buildings5_t.gifDD2MBuildings5_t.gifDD2PSXBuildings5_t.gif

Liberty City

-In the Retail PC version on the left side is the house Blueish/White.
-The Matrox version has the same house color, but it's brighter.
-The PS1 version has a Yellow house, but there is deep Blue bar behind the man in the Yellow shirt.

-The Matrox version has no people
-and no street lamps.
-Also there is no darkness, the complete track is garishly.
-It does not have the Black distance fog.
-The Texaco Havoline bird is not animated.

DD2Lamps3_t.gifDD2MLamps3_t.gifDD2PSXLamps3_t.gif
DD2Lamps_t.gifDD2MLamps_t.gifDD2PSXLamps_t.gif
DD2Animation_t.gifDD2MAnimation_t.gifDD2PSXAnimation_t.gif

-The Retail PC version Blue showcase light
-and has an closed crash barrier.
-The Matrox version has also a Blue showcase light
-and an closed crash barrier.
-The PS1 version has Purple/Redish showcase light
-and an opened crash barrier.

-The Matrox version has no people,
-and no street lamps.

DD2People4_t.gifDD2MPeople4_t.gifDD2PSXPeople4_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has on the left side a Orange showcase light
-and on the right side 3 Blue and 1 Red showcase light.
-The Matrox version has like the Retail PC version on the left side a Orange showcase light
-and on the right side 3 Blue and 1 Red showcase light.
-The PS1 version has on the left side a Yellow showcase light
-and on the right side 2 Blue, 1 Red and 1 Green showcase light.

-and no street lamps.

DD2People5_t.gifDD2MPeople5_t.gifDD2PSXPeople5_t.gif
DD2People6_t.gifDD2MPeople6_t.gifDD2PSXPeople6_t.gif

-In the Retail PC version has the first building a Blue and Yellow colored texture,
-the next building is light Blue.
-In the Matrox version has the first building a Blue and Orange colored texture,
-the next building is light Blue.
-In the PS1 version has the first building a Purple/Blue and Red colored texture,
-the next building is at the first half light Yellow and the second half it's dark Orange.

-The Matrox version has no street lamps.

DD2Lamps2_t.gifDD2MLamps2_t.gifDD2PSXLamps2_t.gif

-The Matrox version has at the beginning and at the end of the dirt road, no Road Closed barrier.

DD2Barrier_t.gifDD2MBarrier_t.gifDD2PSXBarrier_t.gif
DD2Barrier2_t.gifDD2MBarrier2_t.gifDD2PSXBarrier2_t.gif

-The Matrox version has no Global Oil ad,
-no Goodyear ad,
-no Magister Design ad,
-no truck
-and no crane.

DD2Ad13_t.gifDD2MAd13_t.gifDD2PSXAd13_t.gif
DD2Crane3_t.gifDD2MCrane3_t.gifDD2PSXCrane3_t.gif
DD2Ad14_t.gifDD2MAd14_t.gifDD2PSXAd14_t.gif

-and no street lamps.

DD2People7_t.gifDD2MPeople7_t.gifDD2PSXPeople7_t.gif

-The Retail PC version has transparency problems with the streetlamps, you see a area around the light.
-In the Matrox version is the Drive Safely animation not working, it only says Drive.
-on the left side under the man, is instead of glass a Yellow/Black board.
-There are no people
-and no street lamps.

DD2Animation2_t.gifDD2MAnimation2_t.gifDD2PSXAnimation2_t.gif

-and no street lamps.
-The light animations from the buildings are running much too fast.

DD2Animation3_t.gifDD2MAnimation3_t.gifDD2PSXAnimation3_t.gif

The SCA Ultimate Destruction Speedway

-The Matrox version has at the bleacher no glass,
-there are no people
-and the font of the Dekai ad is transparent, instead of Black.
-There are no car shadows
-and the complete track is garishly.

DD2Glass_t.gifDD2MGlass_t.gifDD2PSXGlass_t.gif

-In the Retail PC version is a part of the track border Black and Beige.
-In the Matrox version is a part of the track border simply Beige.
-In the PS1 version is a part of the track border Blue and Beige.

-The Matrox version is missing many trees

DD2Trees16_t.gifDD2MTrees16_t.gifDD2PSXTrees16_t.gif
DD2Trees17_t.gifDD2MTrees17_t.gifDD2PSXTrees17_t.gif
DD2Trees18_t.gifDD2MTrees18_t.gifDD2PSXTrees18_t.gif

-In the Retail PC version is a part of the track border dark Beige and Beige.

-The Matrox version has completly bright tunnels.

DD2Bordertexture9_t.gifDD2MBordertexture9_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture9_t.gif
DD2Darkness_t.gifDD2MDarkness_t.gifDD2PSXDarkness_t.gif

-The Matrox version don't have on the right side that Black part of the track border.

DD2BlackBarrier_t.gifDD2MBlackBarrier_t.gifDD2PSXBlackBarrier_t.gif

-The Matrox version has less pillars
-and no sheeps.

DD2Pillar_t.gifDD2MPillar_t.gifDD2PSXPillar_t.gif
DD2Sheeps_t.gifDD2MSheeps_t.gifDD2PSXSheeps_t.gif

-The Matrox version has no people here,
-no rails
-and no trees.

DD2People8_t.gifDD2MPeople8_t.gifDD2PSXPeople8_t.gif

-The Matrox version is missing at these two places the rails
-and the trees are missing.

DD2Rails_t.gifDD2MRails_t.gifDD2PSXRails_t.gif
DD2Rails2_t.gifDD2MRails2_t.gifDD2PSXRails2_t.gif

-But the Matrox version still has the Roller Coaster that drive's on the rails. (Looks really strange)
-The ground from the Roller Coaster is white, instead of Black.

DD2RollerCoaster_t.gifDD2MRollerCoaster_t.gifDD2PSXRollerCoaster_t.gif
DD2RollerCoaster2_t.gifDD2MRollerCoaster2_t.gifDD2PSXRollerCoaster2_t.gif

-The Matrox version has at the bleacher no glass,
-there are no people
-and much less trees.

DD2People9_t.gifDD2MPeople9_t.gifDD2PSXPeople9_t.gif

-and much less trees.

DD2Bordertexture10_t.gifDD2MBordertexture10_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture10_t.gif
DD2People10_t.gifDD2MPeople10_t.gifDD2PSXPeople10_t.gif

-The Matrox version has no People

DD2Bordertexture11_t.gifDD2MBordertexture11_t.gifDD2PSXBordertexture11_t.gif

Red Pike Arena

-The Matrox version has no car shadows,
-but the towers have shadows.
-Only 10 cars, go to point "7.Gameplay differences" for more infos.

DD2Shadow3_t.gifDD2MShadow3_t.gifDD2PSXShadow3_t.gif

The Colosseum

-The Matrox version has no car shadows
-and the ground texture has a different color.

DD2Shadow4_t.gifDD2MShadow4_t.gifDD2PSXShadow4_t.gif

The Pit

-The Retail PC version has additional trees.
-The Matrox version has no car shadows.

DD2Shadow5_t.gifDD2MShadow5_t.gifDD2PSXShadow5_t.gif

Death Bowl

-The Matrox version has no car shadows.
-There are smileys with a Black area, instead of animated flames.
-SuperTriniton Wide ad's, instead of the Torocko ad's
-and a Handycam Vision ad, instead of a Dekai ad.
-The PS1 version offers at this track again the beautiful sun flare effect.

DD2Flames_t.gifDD2MFlames_t.gifDD2PSXFlames_t.gif
DD2Ad15_t.gifDD2MAd15_t.gifDD2PSXAd15_t.gif

6. Sound Comparison
I'm in the opinion, that the best mixed sounds have the PS1 version.
It has all engine, bumping and crashing sounds.
And i really like the Beta announcer comments from the PS1 Rolling Demo.
On the Retail PC version, are the car sounds really thin in my opinion.
The AI cars has engine sounds, but no sounds when they bumping or hitting.
Only the Player car has bumping sounds, when it got hit.
There are no hammer sounds, when you repair your car and no crowd sounds.
Also at the beginning you don't hear that the drivers pressing the gas pedal, that you can hear in the PS1 version.
The Matrox version has a really lame soundmix, i think the developers forgot to finish it.
Only the Player car has a engine sound and bumping sounds.
You will hear it very good at the start, when the cam flies over the AI cars to your car, that you only hear the engine from your car.
Also when the AI cars crash together, you hear nothing.
You hear only bumping sounds, when they hit the player car.
So the AI cars are completely soundless.
And they're no crowd sounds.
And the announcer does not say "Drivers, start your engines!" at the start.
When the announcers says 3...2...1...Go, it stutters very short, when he says "Go".
This is the point when the CD-Music starts.
At the Race is the announcer too loud.
But the bumping sounds in the Matrox version sounds really interesting, it's different mixed.
Redbook Audio is playing in all versions properly.

Retail PC version AI Engine sounds - No crowd sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnZXR2OawU

Matrox version No AI Engine sounds - No crowd sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FmYjB7cf2c

PS1 version AI Engine sounds + Crowd sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxeOXdzKP7Q

Retail PC version AI Engine sounds - No AI Bumping sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tstgrnXiAc

Matrox version No AI Engine sounds - No AI Bumping sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kn69UtSNY

PS1 version AI Engine sounds + AI Bumping sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullctmrwUo8

7. Gameplay differences
The performance of the Matrox version is not good.
The framerate seems ok, but it has many slowdowns.
Sometimes is runs fast and on some places it's running slow.
The Retail PC version runs fast, if you have a good cpu or running in Dosbox.
And the PS1 NTSC-U and the NTSC-J versions are running fast too.
The PS1 PAL version is running a bit slower, but faster than the Matrox version.
I have also said, that the Retail PC version feels very different to play and that you fly higher and further on the Matrox and PS1 version.
All DD2 Players will feel the difference, you can check this by using the high jump ramp at "Chalk Canyon".
Drive with the same speed, in booth versions on the ramp and you will see and feel it.
Also when you are in a Derby Arena, if you not steering at the beginning the car will fly every time the same.
And you will see the difference beetween the Retail PC version and the PS1 version.
On the Matrox version you fly different too in the Arena, but this this happen because... read the next text after the video links... 10 CPU cars only. 🙁

Retail PC Version - Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TzKh_Fnybs

Matrox Version - Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVyMQKJMBb4

PS1 NTSC-U Version - Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RI5FGX07YM

A big disappointment is the Destruction Derby mode on the Matrox version.
Because it has only 10 cars, instead of 20 cars like in the PS1 and the Retail PC version.
I don't know what's the reason, if this was planned in the Beta version, or it was to reduce perfomance problems.
With 10 AI cars, missing AI engine sounds, missing bumper sounds, missing crowd sounds and this low gamespeed...
This make's the Matrox version really lame, the Total Destruction mode is a joke.
I think you will fly the same in the Arena on the Matrox version if there are 20 cars, like in the PS1 version, but you fly different because there only 10 cars in the Arena.

DD2DD_t.gifDD2MDD_t.gifDD2PSXDD_t.gif

In the Wrecking Racing Championship after the Derby Arena, the results says that there were 20 drivers, but they were only 10 drivers.

DD2MatroxResultsDD_t.gif

Retail PC Version - Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCVi7f_xS8

Matrox Bundle Version- Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQoQli8nTpI

PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version- Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1iMRG3pHNg

8. Matrox version can load PS1 save files and replay files and PS1 version the Matrox ones
The Matrox and the PS1 versions uses the same save files.
So the Matrox version saves PS1 RAW savefiles with an extension (*.cs0).
The Retail PC version is using a 128KB file.
It looks like an memorycard image, but i can't extracted or imported save files to it.
I created a Championship on the PS1 version and retired the race and saved the game and saved the replay.
I have extracted the save files from the ePSXe memorycard image to PS1 Raw savefiles and added the extention (*.cs0) to the save files.

PSX_save_export_t.gifPSX_save_as_raw_t.gifPSX_saves_renamed_t.gif

I copied it on my Retromachine in the DD2 Matrox folder.
The savegame is working and the next track (Chalk Canyon) was loaded.
The Replay files were also loading and seems to working fine.
But later my car does not have the same position, but i think this is a problem with the gamespeed and slowdowns.

This is the replay which was created on the PS1 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuspzNDxEI8

And here it's loaded on the Matrox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDs20fCJP48

Then i have done the same with the Matrox version (Create new Championship and saves it and saves a replay) and i imported the files into the ePSXe memorycard image.
In Memcard Rex i had to edit the gamecode and the region of my game.
Then i have loaded the files in the PS1 version and here working the files too.
Also the replay file is working fine.

The Replay created on the Matrox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VpDPIEvQWA

And here it is loaded on the PS1 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXoGqm_Rrs

I tried again but i have saved a replay file on the PS1 version in a Derby Arena.
Because we know now, that the PS1 version has 20 cars and the Matrox version only 10 cars.
The replay file loads on the Matrox version, but after an AI car hit my car, then it drives different.

Matrox_saves_imported_t.gifMatrox_saved_edit_t.gifMatrox_saves_edited_t.gifMatrox_all_saves_imported_t.gif

Replay from Red Pike Arena created on the PS1 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON6QjLxM1s

Here what's happen, when it's loaded on the Matrox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaLHH7zwt8c

I also tried making a Derby Arena replay file on the Matrox version and loaded it in the PS1 version.
Here happens the same.

Replay from Red Pike Arena created on Matrox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Npd3bLeHfc

And again here, what's happen when loaded on PS1 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84ODcfL2us

When you jump to point "10.Videos from Demo mode in Retail PC, Matrox and PS1 Version from all tracks", there are all videos from the demo mode.
It looks like that the Matrox version uses the same demos like the PS1 version.
Because the Demo car is driving very the same at tracks like "Pine Hills Raceway" and "Chalk Canyon".
But on other tracks the car drives different.
I think this is a problem of the gamespeed, like the replays.

These screenshots show, how the savegame Manager looks like.
The Matrox version does not display the driver logo, but it saves it.
It can be that the Matrox version don't display it, because it stretches the icon files.
On the PC and PS1 version they're squares.

DD2_Savegames_t.gifDD2M_Savegames_t.gifDD2PSX_Savegames_t.gif

As i already said at point "2.Installed files", the PS1 Rolling Demo has 4 Replay files.
But they are in a different format, so they are not compatible savefiles.
They not loading in the final PS1 version, or in the Matrox version.
Also replacing the replay files, with a replay form the final version in the Demo version is not working.

9. Videos from Retail PC, Matrox and PS1 Version from all tracks.
All videos are upscaled from 640x480 to 960x720 via super resolution, to reduce the Youtube compression artefacts.

Pine Hills Raceway
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbOkk4HlBwo
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UV4vgkyg8
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWG2zFGPb0

Chalk Canyon
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TzKh_Fnybs
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVyMQKJMBb4
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RI5FGX07YM

SCA Motorplex
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5IanQIPbQ
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBotg5q5uY
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V48aBXWSZ_4

CCR Caprio County Raceway
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYe33kBA5c
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8JIRnIApg
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jR-5CyCHOE

Black Sail Valley
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEWoIAvKt3Y
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAF87gwvnM
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am30WTOUpS0

Liberty City
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNnDBvJMBw
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fbi52pd8sk
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-gk1-psGY

The SCA Ultimate Destruction Speedway
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygh0MkV_Mo0
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_0lf1ue6c
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cku8Zc2LpeQ

Red Pike Arena
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCVi7f_xS8
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQoQli8nTpI
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1iMRG3pHNg

The Colosseum
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQG287sarlE
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DwxpRCNp4
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1U2z0aw90o

The Pit
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpBqJ-OwlZ0
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3opFrNnWac
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XFOwAdJ0gg

Death Bowl
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60v1ZtbF10
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWieGIZ3c7g
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4OqKPyCDg

10. Videos from Demo mode in Retail PC, Matrox and PS1 Version from all tracks.
Here you can hear again in the Matrox version, that the AI cars have no sound.
All videos are upscaled from 640x480 to 960x720 via super resolution, to reduce the Youtube compression artefacts.
There are no Demos for the "Death Bowl" arena.

Pine Hills Raceway Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOlAkaIi-I
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihmviz1P7AE
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx49mYno0Nk

Chalk Canyon Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvgcHVVmUc
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnUVGRkAGuE
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKCLSdJH_aE

SCA Motorplex Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDA9UzGgIsM
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKavSQMcQ24
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNb0K-ZFCI

Caprio County Raceway Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9_66HSG4A
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIG5Lhq5GAg
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsA3A4TnsP8

Black Sail Valley Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY4gV0rEt8E
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWmFdnq0Ao
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6JaOr0sxM

Liberty City Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsbGOLNZGg
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFfZy1I8DE
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o16kcKG78yw

The SCA Ultimate Destruction Speedway Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9YEh6b01g
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzsXrcRDKo
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cyShBlEPm8

Red Pike Arena Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAgQiFhM6A
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnKU_UqJ-no
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXdFNmHQnWI

The Colosseum Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6BRzzEY_o
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAKcIjVj5w
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHnHO2i4jco

The Pit Demo Mode
Retail PC Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coDhahM4RxU
Matrox Bundle Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDD_Qyjq9A
PS1/PSX NTSC-U Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGvDWjdaxA

Death Bowl
No Demo Mode

11. Two Matrox Destruction Derby 2 versions?
I had mentioned at the biginning of my post, that i'm thinking that they're two Matrox DD2 versions are available.
But i'm not sure.
Because i remember something as a kid.
I'm first start playing DD2 with 4 years, this was the Matrox version.
I played this version up to if i was 7 years old, then i got the PS1 version and i was impressed.
But i remember on the Matrox version, that at the car selection screen the "Rookie" car was looking normal and the "Amateur" and the "Pro" Car was looking brown or black.
With this i'm 100% sure and my dad confirms me this issue.
I have remade this with GIMP, that you understand this better.

DD2MRookie_t.gifBug_Amateur_t.gifBug_Pro_t.gif

I also remember that the pitstop was not working.
I drove in and nothing happens, that car drives out like you was a second time in the box.
Because you can only repair your car one time.
And i think the game wanted a CD to start.
And you can't loose the front tires.
But with these three things im not sure. (It's long time ago)
The PC and the disc that my dad had, are got lost after my parents separated.

I rebought the Matrox version (Booth Disc's) on ebay, but i can't reproduce these bugs.
I tried the oldest driver, that working with the DD2 Matrox version (v3.14) and i tried the oldest Mystique Bios that i can find (V1.2).
Does anybody have 1.1 or 1.0?
If anyone can help how to get these bugs, please let me know.
Or if anyone know, if there are two DD2 Matrox versions like an Version 1.00 (because my current disc's says version 1.01), or that anyone can confirms these bugs too.
That would be nice and helpful.

12. Monster Trucks/Thunder Truck Rally Beta Demo

First picture shows the Final PC version, the second one the Matrox Demo, the third the final PS1 version (NTSC-U) and the last picture the PS1 Demo from the Demo One Ver 4 (SCED-00456/SCED-00457).
You can see that, that the Demo versions have trees.
In the Matrox Demo are the trees not solid, you can drive into them, on the PS1 Demo not.
The Matrox version is earlier than the PS1 Demo.
The Menu from the Matrox Demo says "Monster Truck Rally", this could be an old name.
And the Matrox Demo has no sound and the same speedproblems like the DD2 Matrox version.
The final versions have a damagemeter and a updated background.
You can drive in the Matrox Demo and in the PS1 Demo to the out of map.
But the PS1 Demo has a timelimit, the Matrox demo not.
And the Matrox Demo has a compass, when you drive to all points then you win.
Some points are in out of the map.
Also the map is in all versions a bit different, exept if we compare the two final versions (PC,PS1).
In the PS1 Demo i have found AI Drivers.

MTGraphicNeu_t.gifMTMGraphic_t.gifMTPSXGraphic_t.gifMTPSXDemoGraphic_t.gif
MTOutofMapNeu_t.gifMTMOutofMap_t.gifMTPSXOutofMap_t.gifMTPSXDemoOutofMap_t.gif

Videos from the Matrox Demo Version
I have added music from DD2, because the Demo has no sound.

Car Crushing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5YxpM70wk

Exploring the Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqgha3mXqjU

Driving in out of Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j74Vw3u9iI0

Driving to invisible compass points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onot3ntocu0

PS1 Demo Video
Don't know what they do, could be for testing something.

Demo One v4 - Found AI Drivers in PS1 Beta Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lutQGFkGo6I

13. My wishes
I hope that anyone made tools for Destruction Derby 2.
So that people who understand game development and modding, can modifiy this awesome game with a lan mode and new tracks.
A tool for recompile the "DIRINFO" file, would be a good beginning that we can mix files trough the versions.
Also a texture and sound converter would be nice, to edit the textures and the sound that we can use the Beta announcer sounds, or adding the PS1 textures to Retail PC version.
Or a "Matrox Simple Interface" Wrapper that we can have the PS1 physics on PC, and tools to readd the missing sounds and bringing back the 20 cars to the Derby Arena.

And nice would be too, if someone can hack the PS1 Rolling Demo and access the Menu and the other tracks.

The Matrox version is runable on a Matrox Mystique 170, Matrox Mystique 220 and Matrox Mystique 220 Business.
It does not run on a Matrox Mystique G200 AGP and Matrox Millennium II AGP.
Can someone test it on Matrox Millennium II PCI and a G100?

If there is someone, who can make a good comparison video about the versions.
Please put all these infos from this thread into the video.

14. Sources
DD2 Logo
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/destructi … =20110911195914

DD2 PC Disc
https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/151 … ndows-media.jpg

DD2 PS1 NTSC-U Disc
https://images.launchbox-app.com/961ea49e-fa7 … e76dfdea1af.jpg

Matrox Mystique Box content
https://retronn.de/hwpics/matrox_mystique_box_contents.jpg

EDIT: Big 2020 Update, i've added 321 new screenshots with descriptions, 3 new sound comparison videos and i corrected smaller things.

Last edited by anakin94 on 2022-08-13, 20:14. Edited 11 times in total.

Enhanced for Matrox Mystique

Reply 11 of 61, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man that is a detailed comparison
as a recent member of the "Mystique club" found this all pretty interesting, for the moment I am about to compare Screamer as its a free patch.
But will have to check out your video links when I have a bit more free time as well

Reply 13 of 61, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.
In the future, i will update this post and make it more complete.
If anyone have more infos, contact me please.

Reply 14 of 61, by tape85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Anakin,
I own a Matrox Mystique now in one of my retro PCs, but I do not have any of the original bundle software. Destruction Derby is one of my favorites and I own this game in the standard version (I am able to run in HiRes). Is there any way to get it running with the Mystique API?
Many thanks,
Tobias

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-06, 00:15. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed warez request

Reply 15 of 61, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Moderator's note: Unfortunately we don't approve of warez here.

@Stiletto

EDIT:
I'm sorry i was thinking abandonware is ok.
Ok i read the rules.

I cannot answer your PM, because i don't have enough posts.
So i try to answering here.
I'm sure, that it's not possible to convert the Retail version to the Mystique version.
It's to 99% different, because it uses PS1 files.

Last edited by anakin94 on 2020-01-06, 09:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 16 of 61, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting Thread 😀
I am thinking about a Scenic Pro C5 (1025). Mine has a matrox-mystique onboard accelerator.
I added the MPEG-Module on the board and used a pentium 200mmx and a voodoo1.
I am pretty sure, that the mystique-software will run on that. (did not make any testing)
The later Scenic Pro C6 has MGA100 onboard. Mine is equipped with a Celeron 300 and a Voodoo1 as well.

Do you think that adding an matrox m3d is period correct in that p200mmx or in that cel300?
I know that the m3d needs much more power then a p200mm can offer, but I am thinking about period correctness.

An interesting sidenote on the toppic.

I have some early 2d-cracktros for dos that do not run very good on old cpu's and gfx-cards.
But it is insane how fast even a p75 is equided with an matrox-mystique and the image-quality is superbe, imo best in class.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 61, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Doc,
I've never heard of a onboard Mystique.
Do you have any picture's of it?
It would also be interessting, if you can set the amount of the videoram, or does it has a dedicated one?

I think it's better when you put the M3D into the C6 with the Celeron 300.
I don't care so much about time period, because also in the past (90s), many people upgraded computers.
I'm pretty sure, that some people used pentium 90 PC's and installed a Voodoo card into it.
This is not a perfect combination, but give's also a big perfomance boost in games that support glide.

I know the Mystique has a great picture quality, it's a nice card for 3dfx combination.
It's also interesting how Direct3D games looks on it and you know which card is running. 😉

Reply 18 of 61, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you are: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157712522940812

Attachments

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2020-01-05, 10:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines