VOGONS

A question about roland cm-32p...

Topic actions

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a pentium 2 333 mhz computer that I use for old pc gaming. It's got a soundblaster awe64 gold card.

I wanted to play the old DOS games with MT-32 calibre music and use my soundblaster card for sound. I recently purchased a roland cm-32p sound module.

What else would I need to be able to use the MT-32 for music on DOS games. It is my understanding that the gameport on all soundblaster isa cards do not support intelligent mode so I will only be able to get a few DOS games to play the MT-32 music.

What's the optimal solution? Purchase a scc-1 isa card instead? What are some other options?

Reply 1 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

basically you are correct, the optimal solution would be a SCC-1 or a MPU401-AT card ... I even used my LAPC-I for connecting an external module... even a RAP-10 would work if I am not mistaken...
I am under the impression though that the AWE64 mpu is fine for games, I am sure someone here will verify or correct me on this as I never used one...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 27, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would be nice if there was a pci card that had DOS support that I could plug the cm-32p into. Then I can use the music from the cm-32p and the sound from the awe64 instead of having to use the scc-1 for sound.

Reply 3 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you get a scc-1 it will just take an irq+address for midi, there is no "sound" capabilities on it, only midi.
I have used a SCC-1 with various sb cards, from SB1.5 to SB16 , you just disable or alter the address of the SB MPU to something less standard and you give #330 to the roland card... and games use SB for "sound" and roland for midi

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having only 1 ISA slot does indeed limit the choices quite a bit.

For such a fast machine (compared to what was around when the MT-32 was at its prime) I would go with the AWE64GOLD and a external Roland Sound Canvas (General MIDI).

This will give you good sound and music, no hanging note bugs for many many games.

And some games would also work with an MT-32 through the AWE64GOLD. There are patches for many Sierra games.

If you get a MPU401 or SCC-1 then you won't have any digital sound I'm afraid.

The only other option I can think if is a Ensoniq Soundscape card. While they aren't fully intelligent mode compatible they do implement some functions through the driver and many MT-32 games will work. There are existing threads on this topic.

And another option is going with an ISA MIDI card and a PCI card for digital audio. Older games might give you trouble with this though.

And one more option is using DOSBox or ScummVM on a modern PC with a USB MIDI adapter.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only roland ISA card that will give you digital audio is the RAP-10 (digital + midi + you get an mpu for external devices) but it requires specific hardware support , not a great solution for gaming...

Reply 10 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you need a joyport->midi adapter so you can connect the awe64 and the external module , see here: external mpu401 and mt32: confused

Reply 12 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are looking for MT32 compatibility you should really get a MT32 or a CM-32L or a CM-64 IMHO
Unless I am wrong SC-7 is a normal General Midi device and SC-55 has GM and Roland GS modes... neither sound the same as a Roland LA synth like the mt-32 and it's siblings.

Reply 14 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well the CM-32P "emulates" the MT-32 , you can read and hear more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_SC-55

Reply 15 of 27, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trist007 wrote:

I just purchased a CM-32P. That should do nicely no? Have it going in through my awe64gold gameport.

I was specifically trying to get wing commander 1 to work with mt-32.

That won't work for two reasons:

1. The CM-32P is not compatible with MT-32 or General MIDI.

2. Wing Commander is on the list of games that require an intelligent mode MPU-401. The MIDI port on the AWE64 isn't capable of this.

Reply 16 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that the CM-32P is at least GM compatible... thanks 5u3 for the clarification!

Reply 18 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First you will need some real roland mpu (or equivalent that supports said intelligent mode) , I would really suggest you either get a LAPC-I (hitting 2 birds with one stone - mpu+mt32 - but it's pricey) or a SCC-1 or MPU-401AT + MT-100/MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64/CM-500 ...
The SCC-1 combo is somewhat easier to find IMHO but it will still be a bit on the pricey side of things...