VOGONS

Reply 100 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I have a Tyan board with an AGP Pro slot (Socket 604, not 370). Do you know if there are any AGP Pro cards that are good for gaming?

I think this is worthy of a new topic. I'd be very interested in what people have to say.
Best AGP Pro cards for gaming

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 101 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

finally got off my arse and ran a benchmark on my Tyan s2688. In cachechk I get a read of 756.3 and a write of 571.5 MB/s. I also ran speedsys and posted it here. I even included my p3-900 xeon for comparison.

pZWTYe5.jpg
aN0cptr.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 102 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

finally got off my arse and ran a benchmark on my Tyan s2688. In cachechk I get a read of 756.3 and a write of 571.5 MB/s. I also ran speedsys and posted it here. I even included my p3-900 xeon for comparison.

Overall, that board has the fastest overall memory throughput compared to all other samples seen so far. The read speed is still below that of the single-channel P3TDDE though.

Why only 1.5 GB of RAM installed? CL2 or CL3? Does the board require registered and ECC DIMMs? If so, did you run the test with ECC disabled?

Have you tried maxing out the RAM and running MemTest86 for 24 hours?

Reply 103 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6x 256mb. Its all I have in pc133, at the moment. (ecc/reg) I'll probably buy a stack of 1gb dimms here in the next day or so. CL2. yes ecc/reg is required, and ecc is ON but in "fast" mode. There actually is no option in the bios for turning it off. As soon as I fill this beast with 6gb of ram, i'll run the test again.

Reply 104 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For your enjoyment, I've included some test results I have run on different machines, trying to find out which system holds the most memory punch for the Tualatin

Not all are dual systems, but I used the same PIII 1,4S and the same memory stics (where possible).

Featured chipset in this post:

i815EP on Chaintech 6OJA3T with 2*256MB kingston PC133

Attachments

• SSTIMG03.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG03.png
    File size
    7.57 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    i815EP results (1)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SSTIMG04.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG04.png
    File size
    7.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    i815EP results (2)
    File license

Reply 105 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Featured chipset this post:

- SIS635T + SDR
- SIS635T + DDR

Mainboard: ECS P6S5AT

The caps look bulged, so they might need replacing, but this will never be a board I use for more than ust testing, so it's at the end of the to-do list.

SDR Nanya DDR
Cachechk W 224,5 224,5
Cachechk R 738 701,3
Speedsys Mem Throughput 436,97 421,01
Speedsys R 673,47 640,11
Speedsys W 204,82 204,46

The conclusion is easy, DDR doesn't do much on the 635T.

Attachments

• SSTIMG08.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG08.png
    File size
    7.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    With DDR
    File license
  • SSTIMG09.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG09.png
    File size
    7.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    with DDR
    File license

Reply 106 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Featured chipset: Via 694T

Mainboard: DFI C64TN

Attachments

• SSTIMG14.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG14.png
    File size
    7.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SSTIMG15.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG15.png
    File size
    7.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 107 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Featured chipset: Intel i440BX
Mainboard: Asus P3BF

Attachments

• SSTIMG10.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG10.png
    File size
    7.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SSTIMG11.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG11.png
    File size
    7.32 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 108 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Featured chipset: Serverworks HE-SL
Mainboard: Dell Poweredge 1650 + Supermicro P3TDDE
2*1GB ECC SDram

HE-SL P3TDDE
Cachechk W 500,2 487,1
Cachechk R 707,5 657,8
Speedsys Mem Throughput 449,48 423,57
Speedsys R 646,06 600
Speedsys W 452,19 443,69

I have no idea how to create a nice table in these posts, so a screenshot is all I can give you as an overview.

Attachments

• Filename
    results.png
    File size
    13.43 KiB
    Downloads
    5 downloads
    File license

Reply 109 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting work! Is the 440BX stable at 133 MHz? Will it show memory errors after 48 hours of MemTest?

Why are the read speed results for your P3TDDE so much slower than mine? Even CL3 memory should be around 730 MB/s.

Reply 110 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

feiopia, the 440BX was LEGENDARY for being stable at 133mhz.

In other news, the he-sl chipset seems to REALLY be the way to go. it seems about average in memory read, but in writing, it curb stomps the rest!

Reply 111 of 311, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Interesting in that there is only one PCI slot, but at least it is PCI-X. I wonder if the Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X graphics card will work on the Serverset III HE-SL chipset? The drivers wouldn't install correctly on the ServerSet III LE (Intel SAI2 motherboard) system that I have.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/le … parheliapci256/

I have a Tyan board with an AGP Pro slot (Socket 604, not 370). Do you know if there are any AGP Pro cards that are good for gaming?

I doubt it. It was just something professionals used in medical imaging and CAD, but I'm positive no manufacturer made a gaming card for a rare bus that showed up on boards which weren't necessarily performance oriented.

I finally found an Extigy for $10 so I hope to test it out, soon. Thankfully my P3TDEi's have USB 1.1!

Reply 112 of 311, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Logistics wrote:
sliderider wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Interesting in that there is only one PCI slot, but at least it is PCI-X. I wonder if the Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X graphics card will work on the Serverset III HE-SL chipset? The drivers wouldn't install correctly on the ServerSet III LE (Intel SAI2 motherboard) system that I have.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/le … parheliapci256/

I doubt it. It was just something professionals used in medical imaging and CAD, but I'm positive no manufacturer made a gaming card for a rare bus that showed up on boards which weren't necessarily performance oriented.

I finally found an Extigy for $10 so I hope to test it out, soon. Thankfully my P3TDEi's have USB 1.1!

Some FireGL AGP Pro cards are really Radeon 9800 or X800 cards optimized differently for precision rather than for speed. It might also be possible to flash a Powermac G5 AGP Pro card to PC. You do any flashing at your own risk, though.

Reply 113 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

feiopia, the 440BX was LEGENDARY for being stable at 133mhz.

In other news, the he-sl chipset seems to REALLY be the way to go. it seems about average in memory read, but in writing, it curb stomps the rest!

If we average the cachechk read/write speeds, the HE-SL gets 613 MB/s, whereas the P3TDDE (VIA 266T) w/CL2 gets 624 MB/s. From this, the VIA 266T seems to come out ahead, however if you add memory Move to the comparison, the 266T falls slightly behind. Does anyone know what percent of the time memory Read, Write, and Move functions are used when playing, say, Quake III? I suppose what we really need is a Quake II and III benchmark comparison.

Reply 114 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if we do a quake 3 benchmark, we would need a video card that would saturate the cpu's. In other words, we need the fastest agp 2x card available.

I suggest a voodoo 5, ati 9700 pro or the nvidia 5900xt

Reply 115 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Off the top of my head, the best AGP graphics cards I have are:

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT - 128 MB
NVIDIA Quadro FX1100 - 256 MB ?
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 - 256 MB
NVIDIA GeForce Ti4400 - 128 MB ?
Matrox Parhelia - 128 MB ?
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro - 128 MB ?
ATI Radeon 8500 DV - 64 MB
Voodoo 3 3000 - 16 MB

I beleive they are all keyed for 2x slots.

For whatever reason, the 6600 GT doesn't work in the P3TDDE, although it does work in my other 266T board, but that board is DDR-based and not nearly as speedy as the P3TDDE. From the above list, which is most suitable? Seems like if both machines use the same graphics card, we would eliminate uncertainty. Which OS? Which DX version?

XP Pro sp2, W2K Pro, or 98SE?

Last edited by feipoa on 2013-06-17, 04:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 116 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think most people have a voodoo 5 around. it also has more "street cred" than the others. I also don't own anything else on feipoa's list.

Reply 118 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

flupke11's board has AGP.

luckybob, you don't have a 6200 PCI card? The closest I have to a 9200 is the 9500 Pro. For PCI, the best I have is a Quadro FX600, Geforce 6200 w/256 and 512 MB, Matrox G450, Matrox Parhelia PCI-X 256, GeForce2-something, or a Voodoo 3 3000.

Which OS? It seems kinda silly to use a single core OS like Win98SE on dual CPU machines. W2K w/SP4 is pretty light. I can play Quake II/III in NT4, so I'm sure W2K should handle it fine. No sound card.

flupke11, what do you think?

Reply 119 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with multi-cpu benchmarks, is that they all suck. Quake 3's smp is there, but not mature. Unreal Tournament didn't get it until 2004. If you had a multi-cpu system before the pentium 4 era, you were doing one of two things. SERIOUS graphics design (photoshop, video editing, special effects) or you were running a server of some sort.

I'm going to throw this idea on the wall, and see if it sticks: DIY router. Most people use store bought linksys ones with wi-fi, but I'm talking about putting linux on a machine and using it and a pair of network cards instead. In fact I do this already at home with a pair of 900mhz xeons. The software out there is easy enough to install. As long as you have a basic understanding of networking, you can muddle through it easy enough.

however this would be in 2 parts. part #1 would be the router; #2 would be a 2nd (relatively) high end system. Basically anything dual-core+ with 2 gigabit ethernet ports on pci-express. is what I mean. system #2 could flood the router with data and record how much gets through the system.

The software is already out there. I use Smoothwall as my router. and there are plenty of network benchmark software suites out there, at least one should work fine. Using gigabit network cards will showcase our systems pci-x busses as the standard 32bit/33mhz pci bus will get CRUSHED if you try to pipe 1Gbit of data in and out of it. Even more so if you can get 1gbit FULL DUPLEX. This should be MORE than plenty to accurately show bandwidth and latency of each chipset.

My reasoning for this is 70% wanting to be anonymous on the internet and 30% being able to say I can do it. What with the whole NSA bullcrap going on, I've shifted this project from idle to active. If you haven't looked into Tor, its also a good project to fiddle with.