VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone know which AGP Pro cards are the best for gaming? Say, Tualatin-era machines? Thanks!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 10, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there is no such thing as a good agp pro vid card, since probably all cards released for the spec were mosty for CAD and rendering, though for sure some will perform better than others at OGL games. What about a wildcat?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 2 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably Elsa Gloria II Pro aka Nvidia Quadro if you really want AGP Pro.

quadroddrf.jpg

But its just renamed Geforce 256. So its much better use some standart stuff like Geforce 2/4, Radeon.... Will be much faster in games. AGP pro have only more power for cards, no other advantages.

You can try some wildcats too, but early ones (4xxx/5xxx series) dont have directx support (only opengl 1.2) and later versions (7110) have only DX7 and agp pro 8x port. Will work only if mb have at last agp 4x support.

wildcat47110.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 3 of 10, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What vlask said. Wildcat boards were never ideal for gaming. I've owned a few and while they offer exemplary OpenGL performance, their DirectX implementation was always buggy and incomplete. I had the 7110 in particular and it couldn't run many games properly - missing textures, clipping problems, etc.

The Elsa Gloria II Pro is age-appropriate, inexpensive on eBay, and offers good DirectX compatibility because it's based on the Quadro chip, which is basically a GeForce with hardware antialiasing. But I think it was only sold by Dell in their workstation systems so it might be picky regarding your motherboard.

Or, you could go PCI instead and choose from a much wider selection of faster, more modern cards.

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SiliconClassics wrote:

Or, you could go PCI instead and choose from a much wider selection of faster, more modern cards.

Really? There are PCI (not PCIe, but PCI) cards that are substantially faster than AGP cards?

I never really thought about it.

Reply 5 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They did make Geforce 6200 PCI cards. You can also just stick a normal AGP card in the Pro slot. You can get AGP cards like the ATI X1950 Pro or HD3850.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was an old issue of maximum pc (an enthusiast computer magazine), back in 2001?, where they took a 3dlabs wildcat and other "professional" graphics cards and benchmarked them in games. Long story short, they only could do about 1/2 the FPS in games. The article went on about precision vs speed. I can't seem to bring up a copy of the magazine. google only seems to have 1998-2000 and the magazine archives only go back to 2006 for some reason.

Basically, they look cool, but suck for games.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 10, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there , i am using an ATi fire gl X1 256mb which is an AGP pro video card in an IWILL MPX2 and a wildcat 7110 in a gigagyte GA-7DPXDWP.I have win7 inthw iwill and winxp in the wildcat 7110.I iwll post fotos in half an hour.

Attachments

• fireglX1.jpg
    Filename
    fireglX1.jpg
    File size
    68.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885