VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I practiced ribbon cable crimping on a scrap cable with the vise technique. Good thing it was a scrap cable because I screwed the connector when removing it. Some of the metal pins stayed with the cable and got ripped off the plug 🤣.

I still crimped it back somewhere else and that part went well.

Not sure i want to try to remove the connectors off my 26 pin cable in case i just rip them pins again. The redneck method suddenly seems like not such a bad idea 😁

Or the small PCB technique used by Gerwin seems quite convenient also.

The other thing is that my 26 pins cable is 2 feet long, maybe its a bit too long... The redneck method could solve that at the same time...

Edit : Myself = complete dumbass . I just now took into consideration that my cable if female at both end , *facepalm* Guess ill scavenge some header from a bricked board.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 21 of 31, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK I finally got down to building the blasted cable.

I finally opted for a non-redneck approach, as in going to the local electronics store and buying a 26 pins male IdC connector.

Now the good surprise came when i realized that the male connector already inverts the pins compared to the female cable 😳

So i just crimped it with a vice, tested with the multimeter then tested with a sound card and IT WORKS! Oh music! glorious music!!

vpu15l.jpg

Reply 22 of 31, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..someone really should make a foolproof youtube tutioral on this so the cheap Y71x + NEC385 combos could gain foothold as an easy alternative
- the Yamaha SW60XGs go for astronomical prices 😒

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-SW60XG-Boxed-w … =item231ff6ac9e

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 23 of 31, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the necro, but is there a specific way you aligned the red stripe on the male and female ends of the cable?
Does it line up with pin 1 on the DB and the sound card too?

I need to make a new cable and unfortunately I broke my last one trying to salvage the connectors.
o_o

Reply 24 of 31, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheLazy1 wrote:
Sorry for the necro, but is there a specific way you aligned the red stripe on the male and female ends of the cable? Does it li […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the necro, but is there a specific way you aligned the red stripe on the male and female ends of the cable?
Does it line up with pin 1 on the DB and the sound card too?

I need to make a new cable and unfortunately I broke my last one trying to salvage the connectors.
o_o

The red line is Pin #1. The pin numbers are usually identified on the cards. Pin 1 on the sound card must connect to pin 1 on the daughter card. The twist is the connector on the Daughter card is usually Keyed with a notch in the middle.

This means that when you crimp the Connector that will connect on the Daughtercard, you gotta be careful not to put the notch on the wrong side, otherwise your connector will end up inverted when you connect it.

Reply 26 of 31, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've taken the lazy route and bought a cable to do this job, made possible by the raspberry Pi which uses a 26 way plug too apparently.

So I took one of these:
2a824af4-db3a-4642-baf9-cf9c82104ea5_zps96250acf.jpg

Bought for a few pounds here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111006152607?ssPag … #ht_2764wt_1163

Attached it to one of these (bought from a local electronics store):
IMG_3293_zps863545be.jpg

Nothing fancy here, just confirmed which wire connected pin 1 on the DB to pin 1 on the sound card, and then went from there. The next wire was pin 2, the next pin 3, etc.
IMG_3300_zps268646e1.jpg

Female end connects to the sound card:
IMG_3299_zps7a5cb07c.jpg

Mount the DB in the case using some of these:
IMG_3298_zpscc6428e9.jpg

And here it is all setup:
IMG_3304_zpsc8387054.jpg

It all works fine, EXCEPT - I can't change the volume of the wave table, and it's way too loud by default. I've tried 2 different yamaha OPL3SA cards (a YMF701 based one, and a YMF718 based one) with 2 different version of the DOS drivers (one taken from a thread on Vogons, and the other from the driver CD that came with the YMF718 card), and neither allow me to adjust the wave volume. The option is listed in the setupsa program, and all of the other options work (FM level, line in level, etc), but not the WAVE level.

The YMF718 card in particular actually sounds really good with the amp off, ymersion off, bass off, trebble off, etc. But if I can't turn down the freaking general MIDI then it's all for naught.

Anyone got any idea what I could be doing wrong? This is running in DOS mode using Windows 95, and as I say, everthing else is working as expected.

Reply 28 of 31, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

It all works fine, EXCEPT - I can't change the volume of the wave table, and it's way too loud by default. I've tried 2 different yamaha OPL3SA cards (a YMF701 based one, and a YMF718 based one) with 2 different version of the DOS drivers (one taken from a thread on Vogons, and the other from the driver CD that came with the YMF718 card), and neither allow me to adjust the wave volume. The option is listed in the setupsa program, and all of the other options work (FM level, line in level, etc), but not the WAVE level.

The YMF718 card in particular actually sounds really good with the amp off, ymersion off, bass off, trebble off, etc. But if I can't turn down the freaking general MIDI then it's all for naught.

Anyone got any idea what I could be doing wrong? This is running in DOS mode using Windows 95, and as I say, everthing else is working as expected.

I believe the wavetable card is AUX1 or AUX2 in the SETUPSA program. WAVE is just the PCM sound.

Reply 29 of 31, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you have some pics of how I did it PoulpSquad:

(I bought it all from ebay, left you some links at the bottom)

cimg6228.jpg

cimg6229b.jpg

cimg6230o.jpg

cimg6232e.jpg

http://www.ebay.es/itm/281039577660?ssPageNam … #ht_2516wt_1190

http://www.ebay.es/itm/180851045153?ssPageNam … 9#ht_1595wt_956

Reply 30 of 31, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much for the pics, I sure appreciate it!

How long did it take to get that boxed header from China by the way?

There is this ribbon also http://www.ebay.es/itm/230958240351?var=53013 … 9#ht_500wt_1414, looks like it might work too with the 90º header?

Last edited by PoulpSquad on 2013-05-03, 19:16. Edited 1 time in total.