VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To briefly sum up the previous efforts of this build:

Superior 486 machine

Yeah, it's been a while since I really put myself into the depths of the 486 realm of incompatibility (that's the primary thing why it bored the hell out of me). I really really wanna have a strong, yet good compatibility machine, and that's a definitely 486 class PC or, better said, Socket 3 system. A 386xx is too slow for many games (basically 3D stuff), yet a pentium class may be a bit hasty for certain applications / environments.

My intention (now clarified) is to run mainly winXX stuff - games (of course 😊 ) and maybe some applications (no idea - just to meddle around). As for the games, I'm talking about 3D stuff mainly - Doom, Hexen, Dark Forces etc. I know I said winXX stuff, but there are some exceptions of nostalgy such as these, and many more. 2D stuff under DOS is really going to be the realm of my DOS-based wanna-be 486 system. 2D stuff under WinXX is quite something I'd like to test out, since it just looks better and thus creating stress for the whole system. Games like Hunter Hunted, Total Mania, RA95, Diablo, Dune2000 - just to get the picture.

The last, but not least - the 3D accelerated environment. Many people still argue about the the efficiency of playing such games on such machines, but it's my goal and it will have to be fulfilled, regardless of the results. I've seen things, quite strange surprising things on a 486 - I know there is some great power in this era.

So as for the rig:

Mobo: Asus PVI-486SP3 / Rev. 1.2 / BIOS - 0307
CPU: Am5x86 133MHz ADW
RAM: 2x 32MB FPM 60ns
VGA: ARK2000PV 2MB PCI, Voodoo2 12MB 3Dfx (manufacturer to be determined)
HDD: 12GB PATA Seagate + CD-ROM ACER 52x.
Audio: SoundForte 16S ISA
Misc: Axago PCIU-60 USB2.0 to PCI card & Creative Video Blaster RT300 ISA & PATA HDD ''drawer''.
PSU: 300W AT low price brand

The future modifications will be:

CPU: Am5x86 -> Intel POD83
VGA: ARK2000PV -> Matrox Millenium 2
Audio: SoundForte 16S ISA -> Something good with MPU-401 support
*NEW* LAN: 3COM Etherlink III ISA

Step by step:

- The replacement of the CPU is quite logical. As I've mentioned above, 3D based games are my target, thus this idea. I've browsed this web a lot and seen a lot of users (respect guys!) performing various torture tests and overclocking - from this info I gathered POD would be the best candidate for Quake stuff. The FPU and the 32KB L1 shared cache really boost the socket 3 pretty nice. Another reason is that (although contrary to the research done here) I'm unable to OC my CPU to those 160MHz, which could help smoothing a few titles I play and need a little tickle to run properly.

- This ARK chip is an excellent adept for DOS gaming, as described here - Ark Logic PCI, an interesting VGA card. Firstly, I wanted to use Matrox G200 MMS (with TV tuner) - no avail. I get the POST beeps OK, but no display, or something in ''out of range'' style. Withe the newest BIOS - nothing. Then I bought G450, but that's for another machine, still just wanted to know - no nothing (guess the bridge chip fucks it up). So I've got to go to the lowest category of Matrox's chips and clock by clock the Millenium II looks best - and is confirmed to be working somewhere here. Changing my opinion from having a 2D/3D card to the best & working, 2D smooth operation setup. Just to remind all of us - I wasn't able to get the STB TNT4400 to run both with 2D/3D with at least two dozens of drivers.

- The SF16 seems to be pretty heavy on the CPU, maybe I'll get some strength and try it with some PCI Crystal card I got lying somewhere. I was once told Crystal made decent ISA cards back then, I've got one that has its own DOS based GUI for various options such as bass, treble, some surround options and of course the MPU-401 native support. On the other hand, it had a tremendously BAD quality - yes, the design of the PCB & drivers were rich, but the outcome didn't mean much...Alas I'm asking for any particular recommendation that wouldn't chop off the whole CPU power. It is amazing how a 486 can run under w95 playing DOS games w/ the audio support 😳

- Just for basic LAN - sharing, playing, no need for the internet 😅 , though I remember that once I tried this crazy thing like 5 years ago on IE4.0 = back then it couldn't load a load of pages 😁.

----------------------------------
So this would be my dreamed-of setup for retro gaming. The motherboard is suits me well with its rich BIOS settings. There are some minor modifications to be done here, for the sake of additional improvement, such as raising the cache memory to 512KB, having my 64MB fully cached in WB mode. Second would be to find the fastest cache chips with a respective TAG ram. Same counts for the system RAM - 50ns chips is my goal. Correct me if I'm chasing a ghost 😢 . I think that's all, only planning to add some HDDs in it, definitely at least into the HDD bracket / drawer thing.

So far everything works OK (except the USB), I'm playing Dark Colony now (7th level), Gene Wars (4th level), Diablo finished + finishing Hellfire. KKND, Z, Alien Oddysey - all OK, no problems met, certainly not as critical as on that TNT VGA. As for the accelerated things, these may be a bit frustrating:

Already Tested:

Interstate 76 - unplayable
Quake - Ups and Downs, needs improvement (lots of tests here on similar setups)
Dark Forces Jedi Knight - runs great!
GTA - non3Dfx -> playable, but is slow when too above your character
GTA - 3Dfx -> very playable, still gets slow when in high view.
SHOGO - need to make some optimizations - rich options
HEAVY GEAR - playable
Mechwarrior - playable

To be tested:

Wipeout, Unreal, Future Cop, Myth...really can't remember, I'll browse the net.

As for the USB, I SWEAR I've done everything and anything that was necessary to be done - Installed win95 USB supplemental file, then the driver, according to this http://www.usbman.com page and tested it with something from Intel called usbready.exe - a simple pop up that tells you whether the USB support has any flaws within. Everything seems to be okay, but I can't get any USB device working with it - no external floppy, no HDDs (no worries, FAT32 present), no flash drives, no external DVD. I get the powered up, but that's where the fun stops. I even tried drivers directly from the chip manufacturer, but not worth it.

My device manager is like (trying to be most specific):

-Universal Serial Bus Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

There's another thing that wants to get to the list, but I'm unable to determine what that might be. By using all my files - nothing. I was forcing some NEC drivers, ended up reinstalling windows a few times. So this is where I'm at the end of my capabilities, maybe some insights from you can enlighten us. I'll try to find some more info about this and upload all of my drivers here on the vogon FTP I discovered a few days ago - quite handy, yet empty.

All in all, I wish this particular setup to be fully functional and operable under many circumnstances, like copying data from the CD-ROM to the USB flash while being shared to other computers while copying some stuff to my Advisor via LPT 😀...Yeah, I'm calling the wrath of gods by this, but I believe 😀.

P.S.: The RT300 needs to be set up properly and I remember putting one jumper off the card as a spare - now I gotta search for the manual 🙁. Wish me luck!

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 2 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GTA24 works totally fine on a 486 as long as you lower the resolution from the default 640x480.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 9, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay what are these two things and why can't google look it up? I mean I wans't able to find any download regarding to these two titles.

Reply 4 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

I'm unable to OC my CPU to those 160MHz, which could help smoothing a few titles I play and need a little tickle to run properly.

You'll have the best luck with running your AMD X5 at 160 MHz if you use the ADZ version instead of the ADW version. While some ADW versions do work at 160 MHz, or higher, they are rare occurances. The ADZ chips are cheap and common enough if you have patience - actually, most things are! They go for $6 - $12 on CPUworld from time to time.

I've replied to your other questions/comments below.

If you do not need OpenGL, a Matrox Millennium G200 card may work with driver version 4.33c, however I have found some SiS boards to not like the Millennium G200, while others work fine with it. If I recall correctly, your particular Asus board does not like the Millennium G200. Other PCI-based SiS boards which did not have the VLB slot did, however, work with the G200.

The G200 MMS will not work on UMC/SiS boards, you need to find an original Millennium G200 w/8MB of RAM (upgradeable to 16 MB if desired). The original G200 has become harder to find in the past 2 years. Some old driver versions for the Voodoo3 should work on your SiS board. I think 1.01 - 1.05 worked fine for me. Stick with version 1.01 if you are using DirectX 6.x.

It is unfortunate that you were not able to get an NVIDIA RIVA TNT1 working on a SiS board. I know my UMC board at least powers on with this card inserted. On my list of many things to experiment with is to find the latest Windows driver version which will work properly with a TNT1 on a UMC/SiS motherboard. I would not skimp on the sub versions either. You might have better luck with Win98SE over Win95 OSR 2.5.

I find 60 ns memory to work fine, even with a 486, 66 MHz bus. Memory performance on these motherboards is mostly determined by wait states, rather than memory response time.

I don't think you'll be able to get many, or any, USB devices working in Win95 OSR 2.5, with the excpetion of some very specific USB peripherals, whereby the now out-of-business vendor had provided a Win95 driver. I recommend using Windows 98SE and start with a USB 1.x PCI card.

Best of luck!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

Okay what are these two things and why can't google look it up? I mean I wans't able to find any download regarding to these two titles.

If you have GTA3DFX, you should also have GTA8 and GTA24 in the same directory. GTA24 is the representative one that was ported to windows while GTA8 features paletted graphics that are also incidentially much older from earlier in development as well as being fixed in mode 13h

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all again!

So first I'd like to inform that I've been successful in setting up the VT300 card - according to the diags test, all is OK, so i'm looking for some oldie camera equipment just to test the real performance of such application on a 486 class system.

As for the GTAs of those various modes, I didn't bother running the gta24 per leileilol's opinion (and my experience with the normal gta mode), but gta8 runs a bit better I say, although it looks a lot like being played on a PS1 😀. No matter, the 3Dfx mode is a much more sustainable choice, but thanks anyway, I really did not know about these two executables.

Thanks Feipoa for accompanying us as I've been gazing on your "The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison", which provides bottomless information about various chips of the 486 era. My out of the topic question to this is where or how did you get the info about the Cyrix's register enablers / disablers?

As for the advice upon the ADZ variant - Yes, I've considered such walkaround, but I really wanna stick with this one, because I've seen some people run this one @ 160MHz, but I concur that it was very hard, rather impossible for some people. My experience is that I can run up the computer to the bios and all, can set up everything, but the moment I pass the ''Starting Windows 95 ... '' phase, I can get erratic errors of BSODs or Windows protection errors, sometimes maybe getting into the desktop is quite lucky, but will freeze on the spot. Voltage change changes nothing. But nevertheless I'm looking for the chip here in Slovakia, no need to pay more getting it from other countries - not this one, I'm waiting for a pentium overdrive as mentioned above.

I really wanted to play with the G200MMS and the TV tuner, again for the purpose of measuring efficiency of this solution in such a system. Unfortunately, I'd have to pass this one, would't I? So I decide to go for these two: Millenium II or Mystique 220. Millentium II is confirmed to work on the chipset as well as the mobo. I recall somebody confirming this here. As for the Mystique, that would be a blind shot, but I'll go for this one. Another reason why these two is their core clock (66MHz vs 60MHz) , but I really don't know which one of these still, for Millenium is equipped with WRAM, the latter relies on SGRAM. To my knowledge SGRAM should be better, but how far better from the WRAM, which are supposedly quite better than their counterpart, also produced at low cost. Really this is some old technology I got no experience using yet. Here are the details upon Matrox products http://www.512bit.net/matrox.html .

Windows 98SE would kill the machine as a whole, providing unnecessary process bottlenecks etc. I know many things can be tweaked in the windows, but I really don't need that as OSR 2.5 provides more than enough for my needs.

Now the USB - I'm quite lucky, I've discovered a a proper row of drivers and apps to be installed and to get the USB working with no argues. But as you said feipoa, it requires a special driver to get it working. Well, by this proper installation, I've managed to ''wake up'' the so called ''USB Mass Storage Interface'' driver, which is (I hope) trying to act as an universal tool for managing such devices. Well, yes, with flash drives it works normally, I'll let it eat the driver it requires and everthing is smooth, except that I cannot get into the drive. Presumably because it is formatted as NTFS, need to check today at job. As for other devices (Ext. HDD / DVD-RW), during the driver crunching the computer freezes...rather said mgsrv32 is not responding and requires to get manually shut, otherwise it stands there for ages.

Any thoughts on this one? I feel I'm quite close to the core of the problem, will reinstall the system again and analyze the steps further.

Reply 7 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

...where or how did you get the info about the Cyrix's register enablers / disablers?

I went into the register enabler programs in some detail in the tread, Cyrix Register Enhancements Revealed. Please refer to the link in my signature. Official information on the registers can be found from Cyrix specification sheets, particuarly the 5 found here,
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Cyrix/5x86/

Shodan486 wrote:

I really wanna stick with this one [the ADW], because I've seen some people run this one @ 160MHz...

With a little persistence, I have no doubt you can find an ADZ shipped for $10. I am personally only excited by the POD if it can run long term stable at 100 MHz. On my list of retro things to do is to modify the POD to run internally at 0.1 - 0.3 V higher than it is currently. Having that external voltage regulator makes this all too tempting.

Shodan486 wrote:

Any thoughts on this one? I feel I'm quite close to the core of the problem, will reinstall the system again and analyze the steps further.

If you are going to insist upon using Windows 95 OSR 2.5 in the final setup, at least install Windows 98SE first to confirm that there are no hardware conflicts with the USB card and your motherboard. If it works to your satisfaction in Win98SE, then you can install Win95 OSR 2.5 and start battling through the Win95 USB driver issues.

Reply 8 of 9, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the data about the Cyrix stuff!

Well, as I said I'll try to be more precise and start stalking at our home sites for the ADZ version. The POD plan seems to be very interesting, which brings up a question : Is the POD stable in regards to long term usage under the stress of 100MHz - with no mods? Are any required, or is it due to high core temperature that cannot be extracted as easy as from current CPU packages, requiring to use some ''McGuyver'' abilities?

I've come to a little progress with the USB problem - Reinstalled the OS as planned, did all the things same and installed other required drivers for the devices I use. This time I was able to control my colleagues 2GB USB. A question like this has struck me : Is the 8GB storage limit in the BIOS affecting the ability to view 8GB+ storage devices? I will try my 4GB flash drive when I get back home and get some sleep. Anyways I suppose that the question is stupid... I'm gonna play more with the rig now.

Reply 9 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

Is the POD stable in regards to long term usage under the stress of 100MHz - with no mods?

Probably not. While I was able to run all the benchmarks fine at 100 MHz, Quake 1 required some trickery to get the score. I had to cool the chip down to 0 degrees celsius for Quake to complete. Of the 3 POD chips I have, 1 operated horribly at 100 MHz (crashed in Windows after a few benchmarks), another one ran fine except for Quake, and for the third, I do not recall exactly how it did, but it was somewhere in the middle.

Shodan486 wrote:

Is the 8GB storage limit in the BIOS affecting the ability to view 8GB+ storage devices?

I don't think the computer's BIOS has anything to do with the storage limit on the USB card. The limiting factor is probably the USB driver, either from a storage size cap or due to the increased memory density of the 8 GB device. What PCI USB card are you using? 2.0 or 1.x? What was the outcome when you tried it in Win98SE?