VOGONS

Creative 3D Blaster VLB price

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 88, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what chipset is actually on this card? never heard about any 3d accelerated vlb card before.

also do you still have magic carpet plus?, i loved that game i wish i could find my lost copy.

Reply 22 of 88, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I think it uses the GLiNT chip. Did any game use it?

vetz names all he knows in this thread. See "3D Blaster (CGL)":
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Decent write-up here (but no benchmarks):
http://vintage3d.org/3dlabs.php

I'm hoping vetz or maybe Putas wins this auction, or that whoever does win it cooperates with vetz and Putas to get more information (benchmarks, compatibility testing of known supporting games, etc.) out of the card.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 88, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[TGA3DX] Tim wrote:

My Creative 3D Blaster VLB is for sale. Details in the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=110983679817

Decent starting bid due to sentimental value, rare too. Happy bidding.

At that price, I'd call it the Creative 3D Blaster Very L33t Board 😁

Reply 24 of 88, by [TGA3DX] Tim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just realized I actually wrote a small article on it, I've added that to the bottom of the description.

About the memory board :

Much later the promised 2Mb memory daughterboard upgrade arrived and a DirectX driver. The actual DirectX driver was promised to be delivered in January 1997, and while there were early Beta DirectX drivers, the final driver version was released very late in April 1997. The official statement was that you needed the memory upgrade to play DirectX games. The upgrade could be ordered from customer service and sold for $49.95.

Reply 25 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering the limited number of games that work with it, i wouldn't pay that much. It's the same situation with a nVidia NV1. They may not be easy to find but there like maybe a dozen games out there that work with it, if that many, and they're all hard as hell to find. The limited utility offsets a lot of the rarity value.

Reply 27 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:

I am gonna pass. 200 pounds is okeyish but there will be richer people bidding and the trouble of building special system for it...

And here is the million dollar question, what system will the buyer use it in? You can't use it with a 486 VLB motherboard because the 486 FPU sucks for 3D accelerated games. Even if you pop in a 5x86 from Cyrix or a Pentium Overdrive it doesn't give you that much of a boost. The only system it might work reasonably well in is a Nexgen nx586 VLB but only if you can find a nx586 CPU with built in FPU which is even harder to find than the VLB 3D Blaster itself.

Reply 28 of 88, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Worlds-Fastest-VLB-Mo … =item1e67384119
This should allow for Pentium MMX that I expect would saturate 3D Blaster.
Expensive hobby indeed. Cheap alternative is Swayee style AMD 5x86@160MHz. I red CGL Descent was fast enough even on 486.
In latest news casual Creative Blaster Exxtreme shows CGL compatibility, even though Permedia 2 support was never mentioned.

Reply 29 of 88, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:

I red CGL Descent was fast enough even on 486.

During my research for the games list Stiletto linked earlier I could not find any information that this version of Descent were ever released. Yes, it was mentioned in a press release, but that was it. Source please if you know more than me.

3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 31 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

even more than 150 bucks for it? no matter how good is it, what a rip-off 😉

And to make it worse, it's sealed so if you plan on using it then breaking the seal destroys the value. You'll never get back what you paid for it if you should decide to sell it later unless you got it for far below market value in the first place. This is something you buy, put on a shelf for a while, then resell when market demand goes up again. For something of this nature, I much prefer complete, with or without box, rather than new, sealed in box because at least I can play with it for a while until I get tired of it and not lose any money on the deal.

Reply 32 of 88, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I totally disagree about the card being a ripoff, Ive never seen this card for sale making it extremely rare, its the only dedicated 3D board for the VL BUS even if it is a piece of crap, its a very interesting piece of history famous for the hype and failing to deliver a real collectors piece.

You could splash $1000 on a modern system that will give hundreds or thousands of hours of enjoyment but no one cares, it is and does nothing different to thousands of other generic components you could use to build a modern computer, and it certainly wont be worth the money you paid for it in 10 years time unlike this extremely rare 3D Blaster

Reply 33 of 88, by [TGA3DX] Tim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sliderider,the description clearly states its no longer sealed as I never would of thought I would sell it. How could I have taken all those pictures if it was sealed? They are the only pictures online of the box and all the accessories. I had a small online website documenting rare cards, I felt it was my obligation to document it. 😀

As far as price, I bid more then double the starting bid on it when it came up on auction. I would have paid every penny for it, thankfully, the description wasn't terribly accurate so would have thrown off people looking for one.

£200 is nothing special I'm afraid, whether that is a rip-off or not every one needs to decide that for themselves, it'll sell, did you not see my 3DO listing some time ago? If you'd know who the seller is you'd have realised how high some of my other cards would of gone, or perhaps not, as most of it was private sales.

Reply 34 of 88, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NO, I wasn't talking about the card, I was talking about that motherboard. My previous post seemed to be rather confusing.. my bad

there's nothing wrong with the price of the card, I could even bid for it since it's practically a one in a thousand opportunity to get such a piece of hw, but for someone to spend 185 bucks on a P54C mb must really, really want it xD

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 36 of 88, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

In latest news casual Creative Blaster Exxtreme shows CGL compatibility, even though Permedia 2 support was never mentioned.

Any chance a non-Creative Permedia 2 will work? Or any of the early 3Dlabs chips based carts (somehow I own a few 300SX/500TX cards)

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 37 of 88, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Putas wrote:

I red CGL Descent was fast enough even on 486.

During my research for the games list Stiletto linked earlier I could not find any information that this version of Descent were ever released. Yes, it was mentioned in a press release, but that was it. Source please if you know more than me.

Guess it was same press release, the one with Jay Patel claiming excellent frame rates on a 486/66.

GL1zdA wrote:
Putas wrote:

Any chance a non-Creative Permedia 2 will work? Or any of the early 3Dlabs chips based carts (somehow I own a few 300SX/500TX cards)

If bios checks will be removed. First Permedia should be examined, since 3Dlabs bought CGL license for the chip. 300SX, well those were the chips developers got. 500TX is beast above Permedia2, low chance.

Reply 38 of 88, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

How to test CGL, because i have one of these cards

2611708.png

Reply 39 of 88, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How to test CGL, because i have one of these cards

I replied in the other CGL thread:

Re: Fun with CGL (Creative Graphics Library) on 3D Blaster

3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes