VOGONS

Missing instruments with a SC-55ST

Topic actions

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having this annoying problem with my SC-55ST where it would simply let out one or two instruments out of the MIDI. Happens with games, as well as with MIDI files played from Windows. When it's just turned on it's guaranteed to play the first MIDI like it should, but the ones after that will miss instruments or even sound radically different if the unit is not turned off and back on again.

Reply 1 of 27, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this sounds like the symptom of lacking midi reset commands, which is not the sound module's fault. try using a player that can send midi reset command between tracks, like winamp.

Reply 3 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Thanks, but this won't cut it when playing Duke3d. 😢 Does anybody here own this particular module?

Yes, and I believe many of us do. This usually occurs with crappy (creative) sound blaster cards and it cant be helped without getting another (or a different) sound card 😀

Its not usually that much of a fuss, really - the module has reset button within hands reach 😜

Reply 4 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, resetting the module ingame is quite a pain, because you'll need to restart the level every time in order for the module to load the (hopefully, 🤣) correct samples.

Creative cards are crappy indeed, but in this case I wouldn't bet on my AWE64 Value being the culprit for this, because it was the same with an EWS64.

Reply 5 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, am I the only one on earth with this? Can't seem to find anything on the net either. Really frustrating. 😒 It's hard to believe that it's a hardware error when it's playing fine else...

Reply 6 of 27, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like the module may be faulty. A shame, really. But you may want to try a different power supply, because a bad power supply may explain the erratic behavior.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 27, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wikipedia says: "technically not GM compatible (GM reset interpreted as GS reset)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas

I'm not sure if that matters in your case, just chiming in.

Reply 9 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, so it turns out it's a game related problem after all. Same symptoms with a completely different config - Terratec EWS64 with XR385 DB. When playing a few DOS games in succession the loaded instruments don't seem to get reset, so whistles and whatever are played instead of strings, for example. It's only fixed by restarting the PC. Am I really the first to have this issue...?

Reply 10 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked fellow Vogons user Ahcruna about the problem on Youtube, he suggested to run Doom in order to reset the instruments. I did this and found the result to be a good representation of the problem. The recording was made directly after booting the PC up. The drums are clearly different when Grabbag plays for the second time.

Attachments

• Filename
    rec.mp3
    File size
    3.75 MiB
    Downloads
    570 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I asked fellow Vogons user Ahcruna about the problem on Youtube, he suggested to run Doom in order to reset the instruments. I did this and found the result to be a good representation of the problem. The recording was made directly after booting the PC up. The drums are clearly different when Grabbag plays for the second time.

Having hear the difference between Duke3D before Doom and after Doom, is the first one the correct one?

There was a similar issue relating to Doom and Duke3D in relation to the AWE32 / 64 a while ago (just shows the brain sometimes beats google). I'll look if I can find it.

But I know the fix was rebooting the machine in order to avoid the issue.

Here is the link: AWE64 squealing, screeching, nails running down a chalkboard, static, hissing

PS: If Duke Nukem 3D sounds fine after starting the computer, what is the problem?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first one is how it plays after restarting the PC. My best guess would be that this is how it's supposed to sound then. Really all the recordings of Grabbag on youtube with the XR385 sound like the second though, so that had me fooled for a minute. Even yours on that comparison video in your signature 😜

I'm running an EWS64 right now, so it's not hardware related. You ask why I keep refreshing this thread? Well, with most common issues somebody already made a thread about it somewhere, but not with this. I think restarting the PC after each game or (especially) MIDI file is kind of tedious, so there could exist a utility for that.

Reply 13 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. It really points to Duke 3D causing the issue.

Assuming you don't play Duke3D, but lots of other games, do they all sound correct?

Also, what if you only play Duke3D several times (and quit in-between)?

But well done for spotting this! You might very well have discovered this but. Let's call it the d1stortion bug 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I just tried replicating your issue, but no luck 🙁

However my machine doesn't have a Sound Blaster at the moment, just a MPU401 interface. Could you try this.

Turn PC on, play Duke3D only with MIDI music (for sound device select none). Quit. Play Doom only with MIDI music (for sound select none). Quit. Play Duke3D only with MIDI music again.

On my machine I didn't hear a difference. I have the same MIDI unit as yours and also a SC-55 and SC-55MKII.

PS: Maybe I should clean my ears, but your first bit in the recording sounds exactly like in my comparison video? It's the second part that sounds off with the drums totally having lost their punch.

Is that what you found, not the other way round?

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2012-12-29, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, damn fitting user name for this bug for sure.

The games where I really noticed it are DN3D and SW. But I checked and you can provoke this easily by running an XG MIDI, everything will sound like crap after that. That makes kinda more sense with XG being a different mode than GM I guess.

It all comes down to having a utility that resets the MIDI device. I read about one called VBSYXSEN here, but seeing as it's listed as only for GS I'm not sure if it would help.

Reply 16 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just power cycle the unit?

But still, I wasn't able to replicate the issue. It's even in my YT video, having played Doom and Raptor before Duke 3D and Duke 3D sounds like the first part in your recording.

I do use a Roland MPU401AT though. So maybe it's an issue with MPU401 UART interfaces?

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just the drums are replaced in this case. Hardly noticable without looking for it but it's there. Here as well, sounds 100% like my second part

Try running a XG file. I can provoke this with vchile.mid any time.

I'll try running it without sfx like you suggested, but I'm damn sure it will be the same.

Edit: No difference, everything like in the recording.

Reply 18 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

Just the drums are replaced in this case. Hardly noticable without looking for it but it's there. Here as well, sounds 100% like my second part

It's VERY noticeable!

That recording has a XR385. Of course it sounds different compared to your SC-55ST 😉

Edit: No difference, everything like in the recording.

Very strange. I did a quick capture (Wow it's 5AM, haven't gone to bed yet because playing with retro gear is SO MUCH FUN and I have a month of holidays 😀:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCD2XaeoJzc

But my recording sounds like your first part. Before and after doom, the drums sound nice and fat 😀

So, sorry I couldn't replicate your issue at all.

You know that you can just turn off the SC-55ST and that will reset it? No need to reboot, that's only necessary for internal cards.

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol man, please read all the posts before answering 😉 I'm using an EWS64+XR385. All of the recording was done from that. I actually sold that SC thinking it's toast. Nevermind, I'll get another one someday 😀

I can assure you I'm not making it up. You heard it for yourself in your own and Ahcruna's recording. Since you talked about the MPU401: it would only make sense if you didn't use the intelligent mode card in there when making the video.

Another idea would be DirectX. I have 9.0c on here (98 SE). I don't know if that has anything to do with MIDI but there you go...