VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where do SiS video cards fall performance wise? They're awfully cheap on ebay, is there any use to them past 2D?

Reply 3 of 17, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I snagged a shrinkwrapped SiS 315E 32MB recently because it was like $6 shipped (its staying in the box). Might as well collect them since its all ATI/Nvidia anymore.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only have experience with a 8MB PCI 6326 card... I can't recommend it for DOS stuff... it's a windows vga IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My SIS experience was also an integrated 6326 on a pc chips pentium 2 motherboard, was pretty stable If I remember correctly.

I remember racking my brains out trying to get opengl to work with the 6326 but could never work it out, Im sure I read somewhere that it supported opengl or something or other?

Reply 8 of 17, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I remember one 6326 card I had. Best VESA compability ever. Performance wise is was just okay.

I had an 8mb AGP 6326 for 6 months for my back then temporary "main pc" (PentiumII 350, 256mb pc100 ram) and it performed horribly under any D3D game, Windows 2D was quite slow too.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 9 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SiS cards were mainly entry level in terms of performance. Even their late offerings like the Xabre 600 weren't very good perfomers. The Xabre 600 couldn't even keep up with a GF4 MX440 runnning DX7 games on a consistent basis, and it was supposed to be a DX 8.1 compliant card. I can only imagine how much it would bog down if you tried running a game with DX8 rendering turned on.

Reply 10 of 17, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with the Xabre's is that they do Vertex stuff in software mode. I wonder how they perform in DirectX 7 games though.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 11 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SiS 315 (also known as the first Xabre)

It's DirectX 7. Slower than a typical GeForce 2 MX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOGM8Dffbkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTIg9fQLis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-2E80kcLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU-AqsstVPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEx7ZgL13gs
(warning Youtube tends to mangle fluidity and quality of videos)

Reply 12 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

The problem with the Xabre's is that they do Vertex stuff in software mode. I wonder how they perform in DirectX 7 games though.

The Xabre 80/200/400 did vertex in software but the 600 added a hardware vertex unit and it was still slow. That's not stopping me from trying to find one, though.

10415579840qtOBcFOYe_1_2_l.gif

Reply 13 of 17, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NitroX infinity wrote:

I don't see why would software vertex shading be a problem. TnL unit was hardware, albeit slow as well.

Reply 14 of 17, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I've read it (a while ago I'll admit) game-companies focused on hardware vertex shading which caused problems with the Xabres and many games required patching.

I don't know if that was one of those exaggerations that often come by on the internet though.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 15 of 17, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated photos of my SiS graphics cards including the ultra rare Xabre 80 😉 I have got almost all the cards I need beside Xabre 600... Does anyone here have a Xabre 600 with 128 MB RAM? I was wondering if there is a version with that much memory. I have a Xabre 400 with 128 MB ram, so I think there must be a version of Xabre 600 with more than 64 Megabytes.

85a1cc46206f.jpg
25742d029f23.jpg

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 16 of 17, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I envy you. How did you find Xabre 80? I haven't seen one in the wild since ... ever. Can you tell me the clocks of that WinFast card? I have only HIS model of SiS 300.

Reply 17 of 17, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, it's good to hear it from someone who has almost all the cards that I envy him ;P I was lucky 😁 It;s good to have friends spread all over the world 😜 I found it in Italy, it is totally new, unused with the original drivers and manual, unfortunatelly no BOX 🙁 I will check the clocks of that SiS 300 and let you know later.

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III