MT-32_recap.jpg
Filename
MT-32_recap.jpg
File size
647.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Recapped and played a MT-32. It sounds a lot clearer and sharper. I put two higher voltage rated caps at input filter C40, C41 and somehow the voltage regulating MOSFET on the right wall gets hot at the first power up. After some minutes of playing, it cools down to a slightly warm temp. I suppose it's time to replace the MOSFET with a resilient, modern component.

Other than that, it looks to be back in its old place.

Reply 15942 of 27430, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2020-06-20, 08:37:

MT-32_recap.jpg

Recapped and played a MT-32. It sounds a lot clearer and sharper. I put two higher voltage rated caps at input filter C40, C41 and somehow the voltage regulating MOSFET on the right wall gets hot at the first power up. After some minutes of playing, it cools down to a slightly warm temp. I suppose it's time to replace the MOSFET with a resilient, modern component.

Other than that, it looks to be back in its old place.

The current is much higher immediately after power up because the various capacitors in the circuit are charging up. Large capacitors, when they are fully discharged, act almost like a short circuit. So I suspect this behaviour is normal and has nothing to do with the voltage rating of the capacitors. If the old caps were dried up, the inrush currents were probably much lower before the recap.

Reply 15943 of 27430, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-20, 11:01:

The current is much higher immediately after power up because the various capacitors in the circuit are charging up. Large capacitors, when they are fully discharged, act almost like a short circuit. So I suspect this behaviour is normal and has nothing to do with the voltage rating of the capacitors. If the old caps were dried up, the inrush currents were probably much lower before the recap.

Thanks for clearing up, especially the depleted large cap part. It blew some sense into my mind.

I thought new caps were charging up and the voltage regulator was overloaded. Naturally, I was ready for something to pop but everything went ok, fortunately.

Folks recommend running an audio unit about 3~4 days nonstop after a cap replacement to age and check the new caps. I'll probably do that to make sure everything is rock solid.

Reply 15944 of 27430, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-20, 10:49:

Dark Forces every two weeks. That's brutal. Like, sewer garbage brutal.

Nah, I've reached a Zen-like state with those two games. I'm not speedrunner fast, but I also don't have to think much to get through them. It's to the point that both games barely last three hours each for me, even when I watch the cutscenes.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 15945 of 27430, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-06-20, 05:00:

Long shot :
Try toggling PCI/VGA Palette Snoop in BIOS .

Unfortunately, no dice - It’s already turned on. I am trying to see if firing up an SVGA/VESA app first will initialize VGA correctly. If that doesn’t work I’ll need to hunt down a cheap single-head Savage4IX/MX PCI card. Barring that, maybe a Vanta TNT2 PCI card. The strange thing is that the VGA init issue only impacts the Igel-J thin client...I don’t see the same artifacts on my Via Epia boards.

Reply 15946 of 27430, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my VLB 486 setup on the test bench and running. Feels really awsome to get it up and running again as this board was previously in storage.

Anyone get freaked out by these balloon caps though? I sware everytime I see one looking bulgy I imagine it erupting right as a game is getting good. It just looks so...unhealthy? Guess it might be time for a recap soon?

Attachments

Reply 15947 of 27430, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-20, 22:06:

Got my VLB 486 setup on the test bench and running. Feels really awsome to get it up and running again as this board was previously in storage.

Anyone get freaked out by these balloon caps though? I sware everytime I see one looking bulgy I imagine it erupting right as a game is getting good. It just looks so...unhealthy? Guess it might be time for a recap soon?

I was just installing a few games into my 486 VLB setup, still need to add a sound card, has been a slow build. Here is a pic from last week when I added a fan to the DX100 ODPR
Re: Intel 486 DX4ODPR100 runs very hot
Those Tantalum caps can blow, usually when you first turn on the computer.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15948 of 27430, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's just how they look though 😁

tantalum caps are very durable, as in they don't leak and they last very long... but if they fail, they fail spectacularly ^^

Reply 15949 of 27430, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-06-20, 22:30:

tantalum caps are very durable, as in they don't leak and they last very long... but if they fail, they fail spectacularly ^^

Are more recently produced ones as likely to fail after 30 or so years as those from the 80s (and as spectacularly), or have manufacturing techniques improved ?

Reply 15950 of 27430, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-06-20, 23:14:

Are more recently produced ones as likely to fail after 30 or so years as those from the 80s (and as spectacularly), or have manufacturing techniques improved ?

I think the new ones last the same as the old ones, about 35-40 years or more if used regularly. Like Electrolytics their life span is increased by normal usage, if rarely used they will breakdown internally in 20 years or less and internally short. Electrolytics can last 20-30 years or more but break down in 5 years or less if not used and become open, making them safer but with shorter lifespan than Tants. That is why you see a Tant blow on an old board: has not had power applied for quite a while or often enough and the dialectric breaksdown. That is all I know though have heard that some equipment from the mid-late 70's using Tants still work perfectly 50+ years later.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15951 of 27430, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-06-21, 01:05:

I think the new ones last the same as the old ones, about 35-40 years or more if used regularly. Like Electrolytics their life span is increased by normal usage, if rarely used they will breakdown internally in 20 years or less and internally short. Electrolytics can last 20-30 years or more but break down in 5 years or less if not used and become open, making them safer but with shorter lifespan than Tants. That is why you see a Tant blow on an old board: has not had power applied for quite a while or often enough and the dialectric breaksdown. That is all I know though have heard that some equipment from the mid-late 70's using Tants still work perfectly 50+ years later.

This.

Be scared of any old computer that hasn't been powered up for years and years. It may be ready to pop 😀

Reply 15952 of 27430, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2020-06-21, 07:15:

This.

Be scared of any old computer that hasn't been powered up for years and years. It may be ready to pop 😀

Yup, Famous magic smoke! and most of the time it is caused by the usual suspects 😀 Oh and don't forget to take into account any power grid changes through the years...
Most old PC's I've had were rated to 220 max + an extra bit of headroom of a few %, nowadays we run 230v mains. It's become standard to upgrade some PSU components first before powering up. Even with the extra %, most are already close to 230v max tolerance when the components were brand new... let alone when they faded and degraded...

Reply 15954 of 27430, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-06-21, 01:05:
darry wrote on 2020-06-20, 23:14:

I've been reading up on capacitors lately, and electrolytics could need reforming if unpowered for a very long time, but tantals usually shouldn't according to most of what I found... yet I wonder if this could remedy the failure upon first power up anyways, if you first apply low power to the board so capacitors can reform?

Reply 15955 of 27430, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-21, 10:05:

I have never seen a PSU that was not marked 220-240V.

How old are the oldest PSUs that you've seen? 😜
I got a couple marked at 230v btw.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15956 of 27430, by Master_Shifu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-21, 13:00:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-21, 10:05:

I have never seen a PSU that was not marked 220-240V.

How old are the oldest PSUs that you've seen? 😜
I got a couple marked at 230v btw.

The Tulip PC Compact and the Tulip PC Extend both have PSU's rated at 220 VAC 50 Hz. They are from 1984-1985 ish. They worked fine, for a few seconds 😀

Reply 15957 of 27430, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a piece of dream hardware for me, an Apollo 1260 @ 80Mhz. Been playing with that for the last day since I got it. Lots of fun!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=86454

download/file.php?mode=view&id=86453

Attachments

• WhatAmiga.jpg
    Filename
    WhatAmiga.jpg
    File size
    189.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • SysInfo.jpg
    Filename
    SysInfo.jpg
    File size
    223.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15958 of 27430, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-06-21, 16:28:

Just got a piece of dream hardware for me, an Apollo 1260 @ 80Mhz. Been playing with that for the last day since I got it. Lots of fun!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=86454

download/file.php?mode=view&id=86453

Awesome Amiga! 😁 Lots of good games and demos to be had.
I'v always drooled over owning a souped up A1200 but I just can't fathom the ludicrous prices they apparently demand on Ebay.

Reply 15959 of 27430, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn ! That's a very good piece of Amiga hardware !

Back 8 years ago, I had gotten a Blizzard 1230 IV with 8 Mb of EDO RAM and a FPU for €200.
Now it's around €800.
Don't even think about a Blizzard 1260 or any 68060 based accelerators.

eBay prices are gouged up to eleven and beyond. Disgusting.