What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Duouk2000 » 2019-9-09 @ 16:53

Picked up a fanless 5200FX to replace my 6800GT in my 9x machine. Installed the 45.23 drivers which instantly solved the stuttering I was having in Baldur's Gate II and fixed the glitching in Sanitarium. Plus the PC is quieter now. It was cool to have the 6800GT in there but it was giving me too many issues. The only game not playing ball right now is KOTOR which I know works fine with this card because that's how I first played it. Maybe a fresh install with XP will help.
Duouk2000

Postby PTherapist » 2019-9-09 @ 17:13

Did some more tweaking to my original Xbox console.

Installed and configured "XBMC4Gamers" and then set it as my default dashboard. Tweaked it's profile settings to auto load my profile and now my Xbox boots straight into my Games list, all with nice cover art & details etc.
PTherapist

Postby Mister Xiado » 2019-9-09 @ 20:06

kolderman wrote:Is there anyone here who sees old Macs of this generation and *doesn't* associate them with high-school?
Older ones, perhaps. My high school used various iterations of the Mac, I believe the Mac Plus and maybe the Mac II. I barely ever touched them, as they were primarily administration systems. The computer lab that I was later banned from had mainly low-end 486 systems running Windows for Workgroups, with the server running a version of Windows NT. The school didn't like me opting out of an AP program that was 100% busywork, without actually covering anything in greater depth or breadth. As in, while in regular algebra, you would have to do the odd-numbered problems on a section, in the AP algebra, I was required to do all of the problems, and provide my longhand word on a separate paper. If you know anything about mathematics, you can immediately see how this is stupid. When you can solve most problems my looking at them, writing them out is pointless busywork, and if you do 20 problems and get one wrong, it's not because you didn't know what you were doing, it's because you made a mistake. Doing 40+ problems isn't going to make you "lern mor gooder". School administration got upset when I explained it to them in a less-terse manner, and they erased all of the credits I had earned in the program (making me have to re-take classes I had cleared with a 4.0), and blocking me from taking any technical electives (computers, typing, electronics, and all shop classes). Then they banned me from the office for complaining about it. Goes without saying that this had made me a very, very bitter person.

Replaced the CR2032 socket that I had added to my Legend of Zelda cartridge, as the one I'd installed almost twenty years ago was a pretty janky job. Alas, none of the sockets I can find will both fit in the slots on the board, and also be low-enough profile to fit inside the cartridge casing, whether mounted on the front or the back of the board. SNES is not a problem. Haven't even looked into any battery-save Genesis games, as I'm not super-sure if I have any. Sonic 3 uses a whole other method of saving games, so it's not a concern.

Still slowly picking through CDROM drives to see which my HP Vectra 486 will tolerate, if any. The problem is that the drives won't eject when anything other than power is connected, but as a 52X drive sorted that same issue out on my P166 tower, I may have to do the same with the 486. I acquired a bunch of floppy and CDROM drives from a failing computer repair store, so I guess I'm okay for parts for a while. Too bad the majority of ISA cards I got were MPEG cards (no cables) and various serial port and modem cards.

Dragging my feet on installing the 3 Farad capacitor I got for my Xbox.

Same with replacing the microswitches in a few of my MS Optical Wheel mice, and I think I have to replace the cord in one, due to a break somewhere near the mouse. As people want $8+ for just a cable, I'm not super-excited to spend lunch money on a non-urgent issue.
Image - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.
Mister Xiado

Postby SpectriaForce » 2019-9-09 @ 21:17

Been experimenting with the original '98 Half-Life and patches. Finally I found out that the lastest v.1.1.1.0 patch doesn't work properly with it (game does work but the CD music doesn't play). After some research I found out that V1.1.0.4 does make the game fully work thanks to this page
SpectriaForce
Oldbie

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-9-09 @ 21:23

Was trying to translate the user manual for the Yamaha PCC10XG to English with this page:
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/en/translationform

Converted from the original PDF to a Word .docx file first since the straight PDF translation completed destroyed the formatting.
PDF:
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/PCMCIA%20Sound%20Cards/Yamaha%20PCC10XG/manual/

It does the translation fine (expect for grammar differences) up until the MIDI DATA SET page and then it stops translating for the most part. Even tried removing all previous pages and uploading that to the translator and it didn't help.

You can feed the same document directly into Google Translate and it translates everything BUT Google doesn't offer a way to save the file and of course it doesn't keep the formatting either.

Reason I am was trying to do this is because I just received a PCC10XG today that I ordered from Japan and would like to be able to read the manual that was only ever available in Japanese.

Maybe I'll mess with it later. Maybe it is something about that one page that is screwing it up.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-9-10 @ 04:00

Opened my newly acquired Original Xbox and it needs new caps by the PSU header and CPU (Nichicon caps are swollen and will replace with Rubycons) and the rest of the caps are still good, no bugs, spiders or anything, a bit dusty, but it's better than I expected.
Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from C64 to FX-6300.
bjwil1991
l33t

Postby Bondi » 2019-9-10 @ 06:05

cyclone3d wrote:Was trying to translate the user manual for the Yamaha PCC10XG to English with this page:
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/en/translationform

I was messing around with that manual as well (copy/pasted certain blocks of text to google translate). Just wanted to understand what that A-B switch is for. But never did. It just states there that the card works in position A. And nothing about position B.
Would be really great to have it completely translated with original formatting.
Bondi

Postby Mister Xiado » 2019-9-10 @ 08:56

It just says that the mode selection switch is set to mode A by default, and setting it to B makes it not work. Not that it's some proprietary mode for a specific computer.
Bing Translate wrote:Mode selection switch (A/B)
A switch that switches the mode of the sound PC card.
It is set to "A" at the time of shipment. Be sure to use it in the "A" position. "B" doesn't work.
Image - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.
Mister Xiado

Postby PTherapist » 2019-9-10 @ 11:38

Not strictly retro, but worked on a 10-year-old PC for somebody who wanted Windows 10 to replace their aged XP Home install. The PC was a quad core Socket AM2/3 system, with 2GB RAM & basic Radeon 2100 onboard graphics. So first thing I had to do was max out their RAM to 4GB (max supported by motherboard).

They were a bit hesitant to pay for a retail copy of Windows 10 whilst Microsoft are still offering it free to 7 & 8/8.1 users, so I decided to cheat the system for them and stepped through the various upgrades required: XP to Vista to 7 to 10!

It was an interesting experience doing all those upgrades. The upgrade from XP to Vista was excruciatingly slow! The performance of Vista was absolutely abysmal, just like I remember back in the day and this was WITH SP2 slipstreamed in. :lol:

Going from Vista to 7 made the PC liveable once again, so much smoother and Windows 7 ran great.

Finally upgrading to 10 was a fairly smooth process, but as for running the OS - we were back to dreadful performance once again. Just goes to show how terrible Windows 10 really is! Swapping to an SSD solved the Win 10 slowness problems however. An SSD really is the only sane way to use Windows 10.

They only really use this PC for general office usage and light web browsing, so the diabolically crap onboard Graphics suffices, using old drivers.
PTherapist

Postby GigAHerZ » 2019-9-10 @ 11:44

@PTherapist, i really hope you didn't leave that upgraded windows on it, but after upgradings, you did a clean install on top of it. :)
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!
GigAHerZ

Postby PTherapist » 2019-9-10 @ 12:03

GigAHerZ wrote:@PTherapist, i really hope you didn't leave that upgraded windows on it, but after upgradings, you did a clean install on top of it. :)

I haven't as of yet, as it's working fine. But that's certainly a possibility with regards to switching to a 64-Bit version of Windows to use up the full 4GB RAM.

They literally only had a handful of programs installed on the thing. I cleared out anything that might cause problems in advance. The only issue I encountered after the upgrade was something had messed up the autoplay function for CDs & DVDs (happened around the XP-Vista upgrade portion). A quick registry alteration solved that and the OS is behaving as if I've basically just done a clean install.

You really can get away with upgrading OS if you haven't got a lot of software installed or as in this case also, if what is installed is pretty basic and not likely to cause issues.
PTherapist

Postby Bondi » 2019-9-10 @ 13:22

Mister Xiado wrote:It just says that the mode selection switch is set to mode A by default, and setting it to B makes it not work. Not that it's some proprietary mode for a specific computer.
Bing Translate wrote:Mode selection switch (A/B)
A switch that switches the mode of the sound PC card.
It is set to "A" at the time of shipment. Be sure to use it in the "A" position. "B" doesn't work.

That's what I read as well.
But if it's just an on/off switch, why do they call it A/B mode selection? :confused:
Bondi

Postby derSammler » 2019-9-10 @ 13:57

That A/B switch is most likely for PC (A) and Mac (B). Some MIDI modules have such an A/B switch for PC/Mac as well.
derSammler
l33t

Postby looking4awayout » 2019-9-10 @ 14:12

I've finally received the Olivetti CRT. What a cutie it is! It's smaller than the previous one I had even though it's still a 14", and has some nice features that are taken for granted nowadays. I will post the pictures in the CRT thread, alongside the features it has and my impressions so far.
My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.5GHz | 1.5GB PC133 SDRAM | Gecube Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB OC | 500GB WD Blue SSD + 300GB WD Velociraptor | Sound Blaster AWE64 Value | Windows XP Professional SP3
looking4awayout

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-9-10 @ 15:04

derSammler wrote:That A/B switch is most likely for PC (A) and Mac (B). Some MIDI modules have such an A/B switch for PC/Mac as well.

That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card. There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

In other news, it looks like the online translator has issues with some pages that have specific formatting such as weird tables and maybe some headers. Working on going through those pages one by one.

Then I'll just have to fix formatting and maybe go through and do grammar fixes so it is easier to read.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby derSammler » 2019-9-10 @ 15:09

That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card.

Which does not mean a different mode is needed when using the card with a Mac.
There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

Of course there was!
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/dev ... G/drivers/

DOS, Windows 95, and Mac.
derSammler
l33t

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-9-10 @ 16:09

derSammler wrote:
That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card.

Which does not mean a different mode is needed when using the card with a Mac.
There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

Of course there was!
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/dev ... G/drivers/

DOS, Windows 95, and Mac.

Hah... I didn't notice that. :blush:

However, the DOS/V driver is not for DOS. It is for Windows 95.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby clueless1 » 2019-9-11 @ 11:02

In my quest for a better Wizardry 6 experience, I made a few changes to my DOS system:
-swapped the 200Mhz Pentium Overdrive for a P120, then downclocked it to 75Mhz. Now when I disable L1 it's about 25% slower. Animations are a little closer to natural speed.
-pulled the S3 Virge GX in favor of the built-in Cirrus Logic GD5428 (going for slower speeds again)
-since the game uses PC speaker sound effects, I removed the Audician 32 Plus and replaced it with my SB16 Vibra, which has a PC speaker header. The piezo just wasn't cutting it.
clueless1
l33t

Postby bfcastello » 2019-9-11 @ 11:54

I thought that when I started my career, coding for IE6 was the worst time of my life, but IE5 is officially worse than that. It’s unbelievable to see that it cannot give layout no matter what I do, to anchor tags and heading tags. Microsoft, what were you thinking 25 years ago???

I was playing with an idea of a web design for vintage browsers just for an exercise, and after two weeks I can see how stupid I am... no, wait, the M$ engineers were back in the day.
"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
bfcastello

Postby oeuvre » 2019-9-11 @ 13:34

you should still be coding for IE5 and IE6
Retro PC Intel i7 2600, 16GB, AMD FirePro V5800 1GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
Main Desktop Intel 6700, 32GB, AMD RX580 8GB, NVMe SSD + HD, 10
oeuvre
l33t

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware