VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:
meljor wrote:

I just wonder why it is that v1 and voodoo rush are having trouble with fast systems, even though the pci bus is running at a normal 33mhz.

My guess that the game/driver/other software component has to wait until something (texture upload?) has finished and the wait is simply not long enough on a fast enough CPU.

I went into more detail about this in another thread; it's most likely bits rolling over. it would be the same thing as the buffer overflow bug in the MT-32, or close to it.

Reply 21 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

How would you compare it to a Voodoo 1 or 2? I've never owned one so I can't make a comparison.

I'm planning on exploring this in more detail. But on a V1 for example, even at 1024 x 768 the desktop is very blurry. In games there is also a difference. But as always, if you don't have them side by side it is hard to see what could be improved. But the V3 clearly has a better image.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 29, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VB\V3 is sharp.
Clearer then NV cards until you reach the FX line, which from what I remember, has parts of the 2d tech took from the 3dfx remnants that NV acquired.

Reply 23 of 29, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can add to the broken games list Alien vs Predator Gold edition - same problem with textures....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 24 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V2's broken AVP is due to a regression in the DX7 beta+ video drivers. Using the earlier DX6 v2 driver (even when you have DX7 or newer installed) won't have this issue

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx Phil, that is EXACTLY my problem, BUT it depends on the programm.
Some D3D Games do not make glitches with a P3-600, others look like this.
OpenGL/Glide is fine though.

I do not know, what the real difference is.

Please test these two D3D Tests. One is fine the other produces the texture glitches. (with the latest 3dfx-v1-ref-driver)

Attachments

• Filename
    PCP-D3D.zip
    File size
    178.52 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    GST-D3D.zip
    File size
    396.03 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • yKDUmov.png
    Filename
    yKDUmov.png
    File size
    496.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 27 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not that thing about comparison, it about that issue with the v1 in faster systems.
In my case it's only a D3D problem and it depends on the game, so it's possible fixable.

Doc

Reply 28 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is! It's clear from the beginning that a Voodoo1 has no chance in a system powered by a Pentium II 400 or faster. A much slower CPU already has enough power for software T&L to hit the Voodo1's limit. If at all, such a test should rather find the sweet spot for a Voodoo1 by starting with a fast 486 and then testing with faster CPUs unless the one is found which no longer gains more fps.

Reply 29 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can only put a v1 in that case!!!! I cannot get my hands on a canopus voodoo2 that is short enough.
I cannot downgrade the cpu either!!!! the lowest supported cpu is a cel-533.
So I have to stick to the voodoo1 and the onbaord i815e and both are VERY good.

I did some more investigating and I am now sure that it is the 8-bit palletized textures in D3D!!!!
If this can be fixed the voodoo1 will be fine in my P3-600.