VOGONS

First post, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. My DOS machine is capable of running Quake at a fairly decent speed, so the specs are actually kind of impressive. It's running DOS 6.22.
2. "What specific ancient games?" A prime example would be the Donkey Kong PC release in the '80s. Another example (not so ancient) would be the original Mechwarrior games.
3. "What's the problem?" The problem is that, while the menu screens work 100% perfectly, the gameplay is always impossibly fast. My DOS machine's CPU is an AMD-K5-PR166, and although I'm not certain of its exact speed, I'm fairly certain it's a lot faster than the developers of Mechwarrior or the PC version of Donkey Kong could have accounted for.

I was considering throttling the CPU speed somehow, but maybe I just need an old DOS-compatible program instead...

Reply 3 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly, instead of the 80s Donkey Kong release, why not try CHAMP Kong? It's freeware, it doesn't have speed issues on newer machines, and it's a pretty decent recreation of the original arcade game. http://www.champ-em.com/kong.htm http://www.champ-em.com/download.htm

As far as running other XT-era games, you might have luck disabling your CPU caches from the BIOS and running something like Mo'Slo. http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/basic.asp Now, it appears they've updated it since the last time I used about ~10 years ago to slow some games down on a 486 DX2 66MHz, but I remember even on that particular machine, it was tricky to get Mo'Slo to approximate a 4.77MHz 8088, so it would probably be easier with a slower CPU. By disabling the caches on your CPU, I'm sure you can bring it well below the level of a 486 DX2 66MHz.

Reply 4 of 20, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...We're still on the subject of "I wanna slow down a machine that might not run Windows 95", right? CHAMP Kong and Mo'Slo would run on DOS 6.22? Additionally, I have no idea what a CPU cache is (plus I don't think the BIOS supports it).

Reply 6 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally, cache is what makes your cpu go fast and when you disable it, you cripple the cpu and it becomes much slower.

With cache disabled even a fast k6-3 can be crippled to be as fast as a 386, so it should work on yours. It is in the bios and i am certain most bios let you set it to disabled...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 20, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Firstly, instead of the 80s Donkey Kong release, why not try CHAMP Kong? It's freeware, it doesn't have speed issues on newer machines, and it's a pretty decent recreation of the original arcade game. http://www.champ-em.com/kong.htm http://www.champ-em.com/download.htm

As far as running other XT-era games, you might have luck disabling your CPU caches from the BIOS and running something like Mo'Slo. http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/basic.asp Now, it appears they've updated it since the last time I used about ~10 years ago to slow some games down on a 486 DX2 66MHz, but I remember even on that particular machine, it was tricky to get Mo'Slo to approximate a 4.77MHz 8088, so it would probably be easier with a slower CPU. By disabling the caches on your CPU, I'm sure you can bring it well below the level of a 486 DX2 66MHz.

The links in the downloads section for the champ games don't work anymore 🙁

Reply 8 of 20, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

The links in the downloads section for the champ games don't work anymore 🙁

Wayback Machine works great:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110309033129/ht … om/download.htm

Reply 10 of 20, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fyy wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

116 MHz? Why is that relevant?

because you said:

Maxaxle wrote:

My DOS machine's CPU is an AMD-K5-PR166, and although I'm not certain of its exact speed

In retrospect, I guess the "PR166" bit could theoretically mean that it runs at 166 MHz, but then again it could just be marketing fluff. At the time, I didn't see any reason to think that the name was significant.

AlphaWing wrote:

Yep they do, I always forget about trying that.
Thanks.

I swear I've seen the ship for your avvy somewhere...What's it from?

Reply 11 of 20, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Star Wars flight sim this must be, young padawan. Recognize an Assault Gunboat you should 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 12 of 20, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

A Star Wars flight sim this must be, young padawan. Recognize an Assault Gunboat you should 😀

Well yes, but which flightsim?

Reply 13 of 20, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxaxle wrote:

In retrospect, I guess the "PR166" bit could theoretically mean that it runs at 166 MHz, but then again it could just be marketing fluff. At the time, I didn't see any reason to think that the name was significant.

Well its significant to me because that exact CPU was in my very first computer. And it confused me for years seeing its speed as "166 mhz" during POST, but seeing utiliies actually say its at 116 mhz. 😉

Reply 14 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maxaxle wrote:

...We're still on the subject of "I wanna slow down a machine that might not run Windows 95", right? CHAMP Kong and Mo'Slo would run on DOS 6.22? Additionally, I have no idea what a CPU cache is (plus I don't think the BIOS supports it).

They would. I used to run Mo'Slo and play all of the CHAMP games on my aforementioned 486, running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11.

Reply 15 of 20, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

They would. I used to run Mo'Slo and play all of the CHAMP games on my aforementioned 486, running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11.

Wow. I'll need to track it down.

Reply 16 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My DOS machine is capable of running Quake at a fairly decent speed, so the specs are actually kind of impressive.

"I wanna slow down a machine that might not run Windows 95"

Huh? 😕

Reply 17 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually once used a 386 running Win95 at someone's house (a friend of my grandparents) just to see what it was like, and it was not bad. From what I can tell, the machine mainly seemed to be used for running older 16-bit applications, but it wasn't overly slow or choppy. I think it had a 33MHz 386DX and 8MB of ram. I never tried any games on it though, mainly because there weren't any installed besides probably Minesweeper and Solitaire. Looking back, if I beat a hand of Solitaire on there, I could have roughly used that to gauge its performance.

Anyway, my point is that if you can run Win95 on a 386, you can certainly run it on a faster machine.

Reply 18 of 20, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

My DOS machine is capable of running Quake at a fairly decent speed, so the specs are actually kind of impressive.

"I wanna slow down a machine that might not run Windows 95"

Huh? 😕

I have no idea if it can run Windows 95, but it is capable of running Quake relatively nicely.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually once used a 386 running Win95 at someone's house (a friend of my grandparents) just to see what it was like, and it was not bad. From what I can tell, the machine mainly seemed to be used for running older 16-bit applications, but it wasn't overly slow or choppy. I think it had a 33MHz 386DX and 8MB of ram. I never tried any games on it though, mainly because there weren't any installed besides probably Minesweeper and Solitaire. Looking back, if I beat a hand of Solitaire on there, I could have roughly used that to gauge its performance.

Anyway, my point is that if you can run Win95 on a 386, you can certainly run it on a faster machine.

Thanks for the advice.